InfinityBlaze

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Recently, I cleared my CMOS to try to fix my CPU_LED of death. However, every time I turn it on, it turns off, turns on for one second, turns off, and repeats. I have a i7 960 on a Asus Sabertooth X58.

could be the mb bios cant set the ram speed right. asus and other mb will do that to read the ram spd info and set the right speed so your system wont crash. have you tried pressing the mem ok button to see if anything changes?? i would start up taking all your dimms out but one and see if the mb will post. if not switch the dimm.one of the dimms could have gone bad. if the bios went bad try using the asus crash back...put a cd or a usb stick in with the newest bios file on it..if it a bios issue the mb should try and read the dvd/usb stick and recover the bios. the last thing to chekc to see is if you cpu not seated or there some thermal paste that oozed onto the cpu pins. the only other thing i can see is the power supply 4/8 pin atx power cable has an issue and in not outputting the voltage it needs to.

InfinityBlaze

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
I recently was able to get a POST that said I had a hardware component failure. When I do manage to POST, my optical drive makes a rattling noise, which makes me believe it cannot spin up because of a bad PSU. Am I right?

popatim

Titan
If your ram requires a higher voltage than 1.5 clearing the cmos would have wiped that setting and the bios typically cant set the voltage to the higher setting automatically. If you have another stick of 1.5v ram sitting around, try booting with it.

Intel's internal engineering allows for DRAM voltages up to 1.8 volts. 1.65 volt RAM isn't recommended but it will run and a JEDEC profile with 1.65 volts will be selected by default

InfinityBlaze

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Update, I am able to power on by holding the button, but I still get the CPU_LED. Guess I am going to have to replace it. BTW, if I am going to sell my PC and build a new one, how would I go about doing that? Do I pack it with foam and stuff? Or will the post office do that?

Well you should probably fix it before you sell it. Find out what's causing the problem and RMA the problematic part.

If you want to sell the PC it will need to be carefully packed in antistatic wrap and then in styrofoam

Not having the heatsink is fine. Contact Asus/Intel to start an RMA. You can get an anti-static bag to send stuff back in at most electronic shops

most vendors with a credit card will do an advance shipment to you. if the part works all you have to do is then use there box and bag and send it back using there rma label. best shipping for a desktop is use the case box if you still have it. then put the pc in a larger box and use foam or paper. if you have to use a shipping store and they use backing peanuts..use two outdoor green plastic 55 gallon bags and some duck tap.put one bag on and tap it closed then go the other way with the second bag. if the foam gets into the power supply it cause a fire when the ps is turned on. pay a few dollars more and have them use the packing paper.

popatim

Titan

No offense but I have never seen any motherbd select anything but 1.5v ddr3 @stock speed. I always have to go into the bios and change settings. Always. Just for example two weeks ago I put together a system with a users high speed 1.75v Adata ram, the system wouldnt even boot. I had to swap in regular ram and change the voltage to 1.75v and it boots fine on the exotic stuff afterwards. A high end Asus mobo too.

popatim

Titan

I suspect your Sabertooth has failed so you would have to take it apart to rma it anyways.

Your watercooler should be a sealed system; so there should be no spills what-so-ever.

Intel chipsets will never automatically select an XMP profile, they will always select the highest stable JEDEC profile until told otherwise. Most memory modules contain between 1-4 JEDEC profiles and 1-2 additional XMP profiles.

It's pretty rare to see a DIMM with a JEDEC profiles at 1.65 now though

InfinityBlaze

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012

I saw a thread with the exact same water cooler and it spilled everywhere.

Prathit Pannase

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
Hi guys,
The other day in my bios I changed the option of os from wondows to other os and when I saved and exited the pc shut down.
Then when I turned on my pc there was no display and no power to the keyboard and mouse but the pc was running. This was happening repeatedly.
Then I pressed the clear cmos button after turning on the pc and since then the pc keeps on restarting , you can hear the fans and light on the motherboard but no display.
The pc starts for few seconds then again stops then starts . Its like a continuous cycle.
Its not a ram problem nor the graphic card slot problem.
Motherboard - gigabyte ga-z87x-oc