Canon Fixed the LCD, but...

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
June 1, 2005 11:11:08 PM

I returned my son's Canon SD-200 to Canon for repair, since the
LCD screen became cracked (there was no abuse). It came back today
via FedEx with a note that they repaired the screen at no charge
and that the camera "was returned to factory specifications".
However, upon examining the case, I find that the lower left case
corner has a huge "crinkle" in it. Also, on the left edge, whoever
put the camera back together couldn't get the front and rear case
to line up properly. It looks like they picked up a hammer
and banged on the case back together. There are numerous deep dents
in the case, which definitely doesn't line up any more. There's also
a small cirular mark on the case where someone took a point and hit
it with a hammer to push the case down. Plus, on the same edge,
the front case is raised up from the the other half of the case,
a full 1/16 inch, and there are several dents on both sides of the
case all up and down the edge of the camera. Plus, the camera no
longer works. When I turn it on, I can bring up the menu, but when
I slide the switch over to the "camera" setting, nothing happens.
Then I hear several beeps and the code "E18" appears in the lower left
of the LCD screen. A few seconds later, there's a faint crackling
sound and the camera shuts off. I'm going to call the Canon Service
Center tomorrow and give them a hard time. What is going on? It
appears that in trying to jam the case back together, the technician
took a hammer and banged the hell out of it, thus destroying the
camera internally. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Am I due a replacement camera? This one is just five months old.

Thanks!
Scott

More about : canon fixed lcd

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 11:11:09 PM

"Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
>I returned my son's Canon SD-200 to Canon for repair, since the
> LCD screen became cracked (there was no abuse). It came back today
> via FedEx with a note that they repaired the screen at no charge
> and that the camera "was returned to factory specifications".
> However, upon examining the case, I find that the lower left case
> corner has a huge "crinkle" in it. Also, on the left edge, whoever
> put the camera back together couldn't get the front and rear case
> to line up properly. It looks like they picked up a hammer
> and banged on the case back together. There are numerous deep dents
> in the case, which definitely doesn't line up any more. There's also
> a small cirular mark on the case where someone took a point and hit
> it with a hammer to push the case down. Plus, on the same edge,
> the front case is raised up from the the other half of the case,
> a full 1/16 inch, and there are several dents on both sides of the
> case all up and down the edge of the camera. Plus, the camera no
> longer works. When I turn it on, I can bring up the menu, but when
> I slide the switch over to the "camera" setting, nothing happens.
> Then I hear several beeps and the code "E18" appears in the lower left
> of the LCD screen. A few seconds later, there's a faint crackling
> sound and the camera shuts off. I'm going to call the Canon Service
> Center tomorrow and give them a hard time. What is going on? It
> appears that in trying to jam the case back together, the technician
> took a hammer and banged the hell out of it, thus destroying the
> camera internally. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?
>
> Am I due a replacement camera? This one is just five months old.

It sounds to me like they sent you a different camera...likely a
"factory-refurbished job...and NOT the same unit you sent them at all.
June 1, 2005 11:44:26 PM

"Mark²" wrote:

> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> >I returned my son's Canon SD-200 to Canon for repair, since the
> > LCD screen became cracked (there was no abuse). It came back today
> > via FedEx with a note that they repaired the screen at no charge
> > and that the camera "was returned to factory specifications".
> > However, upon examining the case, I find that the lower left case
> > corner has a huge "crinkle" in it. Also, on the left edge, whoever
> > put the camera back together couldn't get the front and rear case
> > to line up properly. It looks like they picked up a hammer
> > and banged on the case back together. There are numerous deep dents
> > in the case, which definitely doesn't line up any more. There's also
> > a small cirular mark on the case where someone took a point and hit
> > it with a hammer to push the case down. Plus, on the same edge,
> > the front case is raised up from the the other half of the case,
> > a full 1/16 inch, and there are several dents on both sides of the
> > case all up and down the edge of the camera. Plus, the camera no
> > longer works. When I turn it on, I can bring up the menu, but when
> > I slide the switch over to the "camera" setting, nothing happens.
> > Then I hear several beeps and the code "E18" appears in the lower left
> > of the LCD screen. A few seconds later, there's a faint crackling
> > sound and the camera shuts off. I'm going to call the Canon Service
> > Center tomorrow and give them a hard time. What is going on? It
> > appears that in trying to jam the case back together, the technician
> > took a hammer and banged the hell out of it, thus destroying the
> > camera internally. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?
> >
> > Am I due a replacement camera? This one is just five months old.
>
> It sounds to me like they sent you a different camera...likely a
> "factory-refurbished job...and NOT the same unit you sent them at all.

Mark,

I considered that possibility. But, no, the serial number is the same,
plus there were some permanent marker markings on the other half of the
case. So it's the same case...just mangled.

Scott
June 2, 2005 5:31:31 PM

> "Mark²" wrote:
>>
>> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
>> >I returned my son's Canon SD-200 to Canon for repair, since the
>> > LCD screen became cracked (there was no abuse). It came back today
>> > via FedEx with a note that they repaired the screen at no charge
>> > and that the camera "was returned to factory specifications".
>> > However, upon examining the case, I find that the lower left case
>> > corner has a huge "crinkle" in it. Also, on the left edge, whoever
>> > put the camera back together couldn't get the front and rear case
>> > to line up properly. It looks like they picked up a hammer
>> > and banged on the case back together. There are numerous deep dents
>> > in the case, which definitely doesn't line up any more. There's also
>> > a small cirular mark on the case where someone took a point and hit
>> > it with a hammer to push the case down. Plus, on the same edge,
>> > the front case is raised up from the the other half of the case,
>> > a full 1/16 inch, and there are several dents on both sides of the
>> > case all up and down the edge of the camera. Plus, the camera no
>> > longer works. When I turn it on, I can bring up the menu, but when
>> > I slide the switch over to the "camera" setting, nothing happens.
>> > Then I hear several beeps and the code "E18" appears in the lower left
>> > of the LCD screen. A few seconds later, there's a faint crackling
>> > sound and the camera shuts off. I'm going to call the Canon Service
>> > Center tomorrow and give them a hard time. What is going on? It
>> > appears that in trying to jam the case back together, the technician
>> > took a hammer and banged the hell out of it, thus destroying the
>> > camera internally. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?
>> >
>> > Am I due a replacement camera? This one is just five months old.
>>
>> It sounds to me like they sent you a different camera...likely a
>> "factory-refurbished job...and NOT the same unit you sent them at all.
>
> Mark,
>
> I considered that possibility. But, no, the serial number is the same,
> plus there were some permanent marker markings on the other half of the
> case. So it's the same case...just mangled.
>
> Scott

I would definitely call them, but don't give them a hard time. Explain the
situation and be very nice about it. Explain that you know "stuff" happens,
etc., etc. You'll have a much better chance of getting what you want. Now,
if they push, work your way up the chain and if you still have not gotten
anywhere then push back hard.

The rule of thumb is that if you have a bad experience you will probably
tell 10 people (way more in this group) and they will tell 10 people, and so
on and so on. So, they stand to lose a lot more than just your business.
Same thing if they take good care of you.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
June 2, 2005 6:18:06 PM

Update,

I talked to Canon today, and they're sending me a prepaid shipping
label so I can return the camera. They promised to make it right.
I'll keep you posted.

Scott

Scott wrote:

> I returned my son's Canon SD-200 to Canon for repair, since the
> LCD screen became cracked (there was no abuse). It came back today
> via FedEx with a note that they repaired the screen at no charge
> and that the camera "was returned to factory specifications".
> However, upon examining the case, I find that the lower left case
> corner has a huge "crinkle" in it. Also, on the left edge, whoever
> put the camera back together couldn't get the front and rear case
> to line up properly. It looks like they picked up a hammer
> and banged on the case back together. There are numerous deep dents
> in the case, which definitely doesn't line up any more. There's also
> a small cirular mark on the case where someone took a point and hit
> it with a hammer to push the case down. Plus, on the same edge,
> the front case is raised up from the the other half of the case,
> a full 1/16 inch, and there are several dents on both sides of the
> case all up and down the edge of the camera. Plus, the camera no
> longer works. When I turn it on, I can bring up the menu, but when
> I slide the switch over to the "camera" setting, nothing happens.
> Then I hear several beeps and the code "E18" appears in the lower left
> of the LCD screen. A few seconds later, there's a faint crackling
> sound and the camera shuts off. I'm going to call the Canon Service
> Center tomorrow and give them a hard time. What is going on? It
> appears that in trying to jam the case back together, the technician
> took a hammer and banged the hell out of it, thus destroying the
> camera internally. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?
>
> Am I due a replacement camera? This one is just five months old.
>
> Thanks!
> Scott
June 2, 2005 9:54:15 PM

Sheldon wrote:

> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> >

> > "Mark²" wrote:
> >>
> >> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message

> >> It sounds to me like they sent you a different camera...likely a
> >> "factory-refurbished job...and NOT the same unit you sent them at all.
> >
> > Mark,
> >
> > I considered that possibility. But, no, the serial number is the same,
> > plus there were some permanent marker markings on the other half of the
> > case. So it's the same case...just mangled.
> >
> > Scott
>
> I would definitely call them, but don't give them a hard time. Explain the
> situation and be very nice about it. Explain that you know "stuff" happens,
> etc., etc. You'll have a much better chance of getting what you want. Now,
> if they push, work your way up the chain and if you still have not gotten
> anywhere then push back hard.
>
> The rule of thumb is that if you have a bad experience you will probably
> tell 10 people (way more in this group) and they will tell 10 people, and so
> on and so on. So, they stand to lose a lot more than just your business.
> Same thing if they take good care of you.
>
> Good luck, and keep us posted.

Sheldon,

Yes, I called them back, and I was polite, but firm. The rep I talked to was
very understanding. I ended up by saying I know they don't intend for a camera
to be returned to a customer in this shape, and it's definitely not typical of
Canon's excellent service. She's sending a return shipping label overnight, and
she promised they would replace the case and also repair the camera completely.
So far, so good. I'll keep everyone posted.

Scott
!