Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Idle Temps for Intel i5 3570K

Last response: in Components
June 15, 2012 4:10:56 AM

Hi, everyone,

I have an Intel i53570K with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus.

I'm coming from a C2D where my idle temp was 35C on my first Core and a little higher on my second Core.

For the i5, Core 0 ranges from 26 to 33 while the other three Cores (1,2,3) can range from 26 to 48.

Is this normal?

Thanks!
DW

More about : idle temps intel 3570k

June 15, 2012 5:00:35 AM

Idle temperatures are of little importance since you have all the power savings, dynamic clock, dynamic power, dynamic fan speed, etc., their related BIOS/OS settings messing up consistency between setups and ambient temperature.

The proof is in the load temps where the case's airflow also gets put to the test with the CPU in fully-awake state. A 212+ should be able to keep things under 70C if your case airflow is reasonably good and room temperature is not ridiculously hot. With Intel's stock HSF, you could expect 70-85C full-load temperatures.

Ivy Bridge is rated to 105C, anything below 80C should be perfectly safe albeit scary for people who are used to keeping things under 60C. Anything below 70C is not worth worrying about unless you want to push your luck with OCing.
June 15, 2012 5:06:40 AM

with the new intel speed step of the sb and ib chips when your just web surfing the cpu will declock it self if the energy savings is turned on on the mb. the low 26c is the cores turned off and it reading your room/case temps. the temp you want to look at is the cpu temp in the bios for the cpu package temp. depending on the silicon of the cpu there going to be one core that may be 4-10 degrease warmer then the others. when you use open hardware monitor...when looking at it you see what cores are running ie the load on the cpu. what cores are active and the ones that are idle..under that is the cpu core package temp. with a good heat sink like that one they should be in the 30c temps if your case has good airflow.
Related resources
June 15, 2012 1:53:55 PM

smorizio said:
with the new intel speed step of the sb and ib chips when your just web surfing the cpu will declock it self if the energy savings is turned on on the mb. the low 26c is the cores turned off and it reading your room/case temps. the temp you want to look at is the cpu temp in the bios for the cpu package temp. depending on the silicon of the cpu there going to be one core that may be 4-10 degrease warmer then the others. when you use open hardware monitor...when looking at it you see what cores are running ie the load on the cpu. what cores are active and the ones that are idle..under that is the cpu core package temp. with a good heat sink like that one they should be in the 30c temps if your case has good airflow.

Hi,

I'm sorry, I don't follow you. In the BIOS, the CPU temp is 28 to 31. You are saying that with Hardware Monitor software, where should I be looking?

Thanks.
June 15, 2012 2:10:13 PM

DW2012 said:
You are saying that with Hardware Monitor software, where should I be looking?

In HWMonitor, you have CPU package temperature under the motherboard temperature readings and individual cores' temperatures in the CPU section.

But idle temperatures are of very little interest since 40C can be perfectly normal if the PWM fan controller runs the fan just above stall threshold at idle.

Temperatures while running an extended CPU benchmark or heavy load to give the heatsink and surrounding air a chance to warm up to a level that represents steady-state would be more representative of what your cooling arrangements are worth.
June 15, 2012 2:16:48 PM

Thanks, Invalid. Presently, I have two fans on top, acting as exhaust and one fan at the rear doing the same. This is in addition to the one-fan config for my cooler. The system was built by NCIX (and very well, too), but I thought I would test things to make sure everything is good.

Tonight, I'll run a more representative test.

Thanks!
June 15, 2012 4:49:10 PM

I would add that your temps are not indicative of anything being wrong. The only time the idle temps are really diagnostic is when they are very high, as this might indicate a poor HSF fit.
June 15, 2012 4:57:11 PM

Okay, thanks. I noticed on the build order form, they ran a burn-in test with Prime95. I'm sure everything is fine.

DW
June 16, 2012 1:17:51 AM

Intel i5 3570K (Stock)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (1 Fan)
Antec P280 (2 Top fans, 1 Rear)

I ran a Prime95 Blend test for one hour and these are the results according to RealTemp and HW Monitor:

Real Temp 3.70
Core 0, 1, 2, 3 : 48, 52, 50, 53 - Minimum
Core 0, 1, 2, 3 : 62, 67, 63, 66 - Maximum
Core 0, 1, 2, 3 : 62, 57, 61, 58 - Average

HW Monitor
Package Temp: Core 0, 1, 2, 3: 60, 28, 67

Thanks very much for your advice/feedback.

DW
June 16, 2012 9:45:55 AM

thats fine, i've got mine at 70's max on prime, 74ish on IBT and 65ish when gaming, on air at 4.3.
June 16, 2012 12:37:42 PM

Hi, Monkey,

At idle in the BIOS the Idle Temp is approx: 28-30C. In RealTemp at Idle, Core 0 to Core 3 (as I type this) is: 27, 26, 28, 28 (Celsius).

I was told by someone here that at Load with P95, it shouldn't be going above 60C max, so the fact that my highest recorded w/P95 is 66/67C, I'm a little concerned.

If I added two more intake (120mm) fans at the front, do you think it would improve things?

Thanks!

Best solution

June 16, 2012 1:36:13 PM

DW_2012 said:
If I added two more intake (120mm) fans at the front, do you think it would improve things?

Feel the air coming out of the rear exhaust, if it does not feel particularly warm then you probably have reasonable airflow.

If you open the case, go touch the base of copper pipes or the aluminum block, if those do not feel particularly warm either then you are most likely already getting about as much heat out of the i5 as you are going to.

If there was a major mounting problem, your i5 would be hitting 90-105C.
June 16, 2012 1:41:47 PM

thats bull, 105C is the throittle temp, so technically up to that and you are ok. Hence i'd say you were ok.

fans might help, but i doubt it, or only by 2-3C. I really woudn't be at all concerned until 80C personally. You've got a good air cooler, and a good case, don't worry be happy. prime is an extreme load, IBT is more extreme and you are miles away from the limit.

the problem with ivy is in a way extracting the heat not the sheer volume of it.
June 16, 2012 3:27:33 PM

Hi, guys,

I appreciate all the feedback, thanks. I felt the heatsink on top and on the side opposite the fan and it doesn't really feel warm, perhaps a bit. Hard to tell with all the airflow.

The rear fan feels a tiny bit warm, but even then, not really. As I'm writing this, I get approx. 29,26,28,30. I say approx. because it's always shifting. Average is 29,26, 29, 30.

What's interesting is the front of the case. There is a large air filter. When I put my hand near, I can feel air moving outwards, even though there is no fan blowing.

I think unless I do an 560 SLI configuration or add more HDD, I think you're right. I can add an additional four fans, two in the front and two mid-case, plus one more on heatsink. For now, I think the default configuration is fine.

Thanks very much.

DW
June 23, 2012 11:05:48 AM

Hi, everyone,

Thought I would update. I added an extra fan in the midsection, and my max temp has gone from 67C to 64C in P95 (after 15 minutes).

I also experimented with a different heatsink fan, the Noctua NF-F12. Surprisingly, on default settings, this fan performed worse than the CM BladeMaster fan on my Hyper 212+. Even with Fan Xpert or modifying the BIOS, the fan wasn't ideal.

It was quieter, but heat seemed to gather at the rear without dissipation. I'm guessing that perhaps the Antec TwoCools in my case were not strong enough to evacuate this heat?

June 30, 2012 12:50:06 AM

Best answer selected by dw2012.
June 30, 2012 8:34:57 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!