Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Mid-level gaming power supply advice please!

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Graphics Cards
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
June 15, 2012 4:26:03 AM

Hi,

I am currently looking for a new power supply for a new video card i will be getting- EVGA GTX 550 TI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My current PC Specs are:
Power Supply: Velocity Micro 500W
Motherboard: Asus P5NE-SLI
Processor: Core 2 Duo E6750
Ram: 2x1 gb Corsair XMS2
Hardrive: 500gb WD
Video Card: BFG 7900GS

I will SLOWLY be upgrading my PC to a IVY bridge Core-i5 and want my new power supply to be able to handle the new processor and video card. Also as an FYI, i do NO Overclocking.

The three power supplies i am considering are:

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 (CMPSU-430CXV2)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX12V V2.2

Antec VP-450 450W ATX 12V v2.3

My question is: Which power supply would you guys recommend out of these three and why? (keeping in mind that stability and reliability are the two most important factors for me).

Also, would it be recommended to get a 500W power supply to give it more buffer room? I know that the 550 ti requires a minimum 400W power supply and wouldnt want the power supply to explode because it was so close to the minimum.

Thank you for any advice you guys can give!

Larry

More about : mid level gaming power supply advice

a b ) Power supply
June 15, 2012 5:20:40 AM

Corsair has a reputation for very good PSU's. I think they won't let you down with reliability in that 430CX.

Quote:

I will SLOWLY be upgrading my PC to a IVY bridge Core-i5

If by that, you mean that you will buy a part to let it sit until you get another then that is a VERY bad idea. If you get a faulty product and let it sit past the return time you could get a middle finger from your retailer. When you buy a new PC, you should buy all your components at once and build it shortly after arrival to test POST and other functions so it can be returned if needed.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2012 6:04:43 AM

I always go for Corsair so I recommend the CX430 V2. That is if you do not plan on upgrading to GPU's requiring 2x6PIN PCIe connectors or do SLI in the future.

I found going from the CX430 to a 500W version is not cost effective because the $/w increase a lot. CX430 is $45 vs CX500 is $60. That is 33% price increase vs 16% increase in capacity. The jump to CX600 ($70) is a little more reasonable at 39% capacity increase vs. 55% price increase compared to the CX430. So if you wish to get higher, I suggest the CX600 instead of the CX500.
Related resources
June 15, 2012 10:20:00 PM

Thanks for that tip Blackhawk, i didnt think of that.

So it seems like the consensus is to go with the cx430. Since i wont be doing SLI and will very unlikely (in the near future anyways) be buying a GPU that requires 2x6pin connectors, is the cx430 still viable?

I guess what i am trying to get at, is i never like to get the minimum system requirements for things, because in my mind, running something at max capacity shortens the lifespan of that component. Since the EVGA 550 ti requires a minimum 400 PSU, do you guys recomend that i go for something like the CX600 as opposed to the cx430? This way there is an extra 200 watts between the minimum requirements instead of just 30?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2012 11:21:55 PM

Get the 600w so ther will plenty of room for upgrading processor and GPU down the road. Plus, who knows, maybe you'll find a good deal on a k series cpu and try overclocking and then you WILL need that room. LoL.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2012 2:06:24 AM

LJT said:
Thanks for that tip Blackhawk, i didnt think of that.

So it seems like the consensus is to go with the cx430. Since i wont be doing SLI and will very unlikely (in the near future anyways) be buying a GPU that requires 2x6pin connectors, is the cx430 still viable?

I guess what i am trying to get at, is i never like to get the minimum system requirements for things, because in my mind, running something at max capacity shortens the lifespan of that component. Since the EVGA 550 ti requires a minimum 400 PSU, do you guys recomend that i go for something like the CX600 as opposed to the cx430? This way there is an extra 200 watts between the minimum requirements instead of just 30?

Sure. 600W is a worthy jump from the cx430. Gives you much headroom to spare in case you decide to do SLI along the way. I know you do not plan for it now but, who knows what the future holds. ;) 
m
l
June 17, 2012 12:05:45 AM

Best answer selected by LJT.
m
l
June 17, 2012 12:05:58 AM

great, thanks for the info/help all!
m
l
!