Sign in with
Your question

Core i5-2400 getting too hot

Last response: in CPUs
June 15, 2012 6:40:36 AM

Hello,

I assembled a computer with Intel Core i5-2400 about a year ago and it has been running fine until about 2 days ago. All of a sudden, I am getting random application crashes and blue screens.

I checked the BIOS temp and to my surprise, it reads 80C. I installed speedfan and CoreTemp and they both show 80C CPU temp. CoreTemp readings of individual cores are only about 34-35C, however.

I am not overclocking it, no gaming or stress test/apps.

I have re-applied the thermal paste but it does not work. Does anyone have any input on what might be wrong?

Thanks.

More about : core 2400 hot

a b à CPUs
June 15, 2012 9:10:18 AM

When you re-applied the thermal paste, did you also cleaned the heatsink? After a year it may be clogged with dusts & impair the dissipation of heat.

Also, do you have good airflow in your case ( at least 1 front intake fan, 1 exhaust fan ) and do you have a GPU that may contribute to the heat inside the case?
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 15, 2012 10:18:56 AM

do you have another cpu cooler try with different one, sounds like cpu is fine something is wrong with cooler.
m
l
Related resources
June 15, 2012 5:21:13 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I wiped the heatsink and the top package of the CPU, though not thoroughly. Though I figured that it would probably contribute to about 4-6C difference? The CPU would normally run at around 40-50C before, so a +40C jump is highly unusual.

I have a mini ATX case, only 1 fan in the back blowing out heat. No GPU, I use Intel's built-in GPU. I am using the stock heatsink/fan from Intel and I don't have another cooler. This computer has been good for a year or so and this has just happened.

Would it be possible that the temp sensor is busted? But how can I tell? The individual core temps are all at mid 30C. How can the CPU temp read is 45C higher? The inside of the case is not hot at all. I didn't touch the surface of the CPU (probably should).

Thanks.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 16, 2012 2:29:02 AM

swindoro said:
Thanks for the responses.

I wiped the heatsink and the top package of the CPU, though not thoroughly. Though I figured that it would probably contribute to about 4-6C difference? The CPU would normally run at around 40-50C before, so a +40C jump is highly unusual.

I have a mini ATX case, only 1 fan in the back blowing out heat. No GPU, I use Intel's built-in GPU. I am using the stock heatsink/fan from Intel and I don't have another cooler. This computer has been good for a year or so and this has just happened.

Would it be possible that the temp sensor is busted? But how can I tell? The individual core temps are all at mid 30C. How can the CPU temp read is 45C higher? The inside of the case is not hot at all. I didn't touch the surface of the CPU (probably should).

Thanks.

Hmmm... if there is nothing there that generates much heat then I would think it may still be a cpu cooler issue. I'm not sure how much the "not thoroughly" wiped the old thermal paste will affect the heat transfer but I think it is better to re-apply the thermal paste & this time wipe the old thermal pastes thoroughly.

Also, the intel stock heatsinks usually accumulates dust which affects heat dissipation. Try to clean it by blowing some air ( from an air can ) or vacuum with an improvised nozzle before you install it again.
m
l
June 18, 2012 6:04:31 PM

Alright, more update. I ran the computer and again, the BIOS and Speedfan CPU temp reading is at 80C. I shut off the computer and immediately opened the case and cooler. I touched the CPU with my finger and it is cold!

It's definitely not 80C, not even close. I think somehow the temperature reading is messed up. Not sure if this is the motherboard's fault or the CPU's fault but it is affecting Windows operation.

I don't know how to debug or fix it from here. Any ideas?
m
l
!