Core i5-2400 getting too hot

Hello,

I assembled a computer with Intel Core i5-2400 about a year ago and it has been running fine until about 2 days ago. All of a sudden, I am getting random application crashes and blue screens.

I checked the BIOS temp and to my surprise, it reads 80C. I installed speedfan and CoreTemp and they both show 80C CPU temp. CoreTemp readings of individual cores are only about 34-35C, however.

I am not overclocking it, no gaming or stress test/apps.

I have re-applied the thermal paste but it does not work. Does anyone have any input on what might be wrong?

Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about core 2400
  1. When you re-applied the thermal paste, did you also cleaned the heatsink? After a year it may be clogged with dusts & impair the dissipation of heat.

Also, do you have good airflow in your case ( at least 1 front intake fan, 1 exhaust fan ) and do you have a GPU that may contribute to the heat inside the case?
  2. do you have another cpu cooler try with different one, sounds like cpu is fine something is wrong with cooler.
  3. Thanks for the responses.

I wiped the heatsink and the top package of the CPU, though not thoroughly. Though I figured that it would probably contribute to about 4-6C difference? The CPU would normally run at around 40-50C before, so a +40C jump is highly unusual.

I have a mini ATX case, only 1 fan in the back blowing out heat. No GPU, I use Intel's built-in GPU. I am using the stock heatsink/fan from Intel and I don't have another cooler. This computer has been good for a year or so and this has just happened.

Would it be possible that the temp sensor is busted? But how can I tell? The individual core temps are all at mid 30C. How can the CPU temp read is 45C higher? The inside of the case is not hot at all. I didn't touch the surface of the CPU (probably should).

Thanks.
  4. swindoro said:
    Thanks for the responses.

I wiped the heatsink and the top package of the CPU, though not thoroughly. Though I figured that it would probably contribute to about 4-6C difference? The CPU would normally run at around 40-50C before, so a +40C jump is highly unusual.

I have a mini ATX case, only 1 fan in the back blowing out heat. No GPU, I use Intel's built-in GPU. I am using the stock heatsink/fan from Intel and I don't have another cooler. This computer has been good for a year or so and this has just happened.

Would it be possible that the temp sensor is busted? But how can I tell? The individual core temps are all at mid 30C. How can the CPU temp read is 45C higher? The inside of the case is not hot at all. I didn't touch the surface of the CPU (probably should).

Thanks.

Hmmm... if there is nothing there that generates much heat then I would think it may still be a cpu cooler issue. I'm not sure how much the "not thoroughly" wiped the old thermal paste will affect the heat transfer but I think it is better to re-apply the thermal paste & this time wipe the old thermal pastes thoroughly.

Also, the intel stock heatsinks usually accumulates dust which affects heat dissipation. Try to clean it by blowing some air ( from an air can ) or vacuum with an improvised nozzle before you install it again.
  5. Alright, more update. I ran the computer and again, the BIOS and Speedfan CPU temp reading is at 80C. I shut off the computer and immediately opened the case and cooler. I touched the CPU with my finger and it is cold!

It's definitely not 80C, not even close. I think somehow the temperature reading is messed up. Not sure if this is the motherboard's fault or the CPU's fault but it is affecting Windows operation.

I don't know how to debug or fix it from here. Any ideas?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Intel i5