First timer, gaming build, will this work?

duster5

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: This week or next week

Budget Range: $750-$850 Before Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Mid-end Gaming, surfing the net, doing homework on it

Parts Not Required: Mouse. Possibly keyboard and monitor if compatibility will not be an issue. Will get Windows 7 64-bit.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon.com (have had an account there for some time now and wanna get more rewards points from purchases)

Parts Preferences: Able to fit in a mid-tower case. Hopefully putting all parts in case won't be cramped and there will be good air flow.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: At least 1280x1024. Not aiming for a big resolution.

Additional Comments: -I hope to use this PC to play some MMOs coming out in the future like TERA, Guild Wars II or Phantasy Star Online 2 under low-medium settings without worrying about overheating or slow-down issues if possible.

-Quiet PC is a plus.

I'm wondering if putting these parts together will work without problems.

Also wondering if I'm going overkill on some PC parts (like the mobo and CPU). I am fine with playing games on low to medium resolution as long as there are no issues about overheating or slowing down. I probably should get some fans in there but I do not know which. Should I stick with the i5 2500k or switch to i3 2100? Is the PSU also too much power? Well, this is what I came up with.
-------------------

CPU : Core i5 2500K LGA 1155 Boxed Processor ($180)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R1) ($32)

Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 1066 Intel - LGA 1155 Motherboard ($105)

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD5000AAKX ($86)

Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit for Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD Platforms SDRAM CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 ($55)

Graphics Card: XFX Video Card HD685XZCFC ($153)

DVD Drive: Asus 24xDVD±RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black) ($19)

Power Supply: Seasonic 80Plus Power Supply M12II 620 BRONZE ($90)

Case: Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ($50)

Advice is appreciated.

:hello:

duster5

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
I forgot about the 6870...performance seems considerable.

I'm not familiar with Asus stuff though, but maybe I'll try that too.

If anyone else has suggestions or can confirm that these parts are compatible, that'd be cool.

Everything is compatible, but I would change a few things.

First, those heatsinks on the ram are pretty tall. The Hyper 212 EVO will be difficult to install because of them. I'd get lower profile ram of corsair vengeance.

Second, for $10 more, you can get the HAF 912, which has superior airflow and cable management.

Third, get the 6870 Radeon GPU for $170.

trispir

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Don't skimp out on the PSU. The one that you selected is a great choice and a good price. I also agree with the previous posters in regards to getting the 6870 for your build. Most RAM in that motherboard will require you to remove the plastic part of the fan from the heatsink in order to install the RAM. Then once installed you can replace the plastic fan.