Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Q6600 and MSI p6n sli v2, no post, fans running

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 15, 2012 7:06:56 AM

Hi Guys, I have a problem with my PC, allthoug old it barely worked a day in its life. PC spec as follows. Intel q6600, MSI p6n sli v2 board, MSI 8800gts 320 mb display adapter, 550w thermaltake psu. 2x corsair 2 gig sticks ram. tried to boot the system this morning, lights come on fans spin, but no post, display not initialising. also no error beeps. removed ram modules one by one, still nothing, tested the display card on a nother pc and it works fine, tested the psu on other pc and its fine, tested the ram in another pc and its fine. I now removed the board from my case, thinking there might be a short, but still nothing, is this a motherboard failure? or cpu? I have always run the pc through a ups.

Best solution

June 16, 2012 4:12:31 PM

I had the very same problem with my previous build, which was a Core2Duo E6400 with an Asus PN5-SLI (or something like that, don't remember...). Anyway, in my case it turned out that the problem was the Asus motherboard. I could tell because I tested the processor on another board just to be sure, and it worked, and I also did the other way around (the working processor from the other computer on my mobo), and no sign of life either.

You should check to make sure the cpu cooler is well and firmly installed, there is good thermal paste and so on.

Best regards.
a c 357 à CPUs
June 16, 2012 9:37:45 PM

First, check if the CMOS battery is dead. If it dies, you lose you BIOS settings. Can boot to BIOS?
m
l
Related resources
June 18, 2012 9:21:46 AM

Best answer selected by colsec.
m
l
June 18, 2012 9:22:54 AM

clutchc said:
First, check if the CMOS battery is dead. If it dies, you lose you BIOS settings. Can boot to BIOS?

Found another mb to test the cpu, dead mb, thx for the reply
m
l
!