Sign in with
Your question

Need help finding a new GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 28, 2011 1:54:41 PM

So I own a GTX470 and "the driver" keeps crashing on me, and I lose video, I've tried upgrading and downgrading drivers but that didn't help at all. I used to have an 8800 and that one failed on me too, so i'm ready to give up on nvidia/evga all together. My rig consists of:
i5 2500k
Asus p8z68 v-pro/gen 3 mobo
2x4gb corsair vengeance ram
Thermaltake spin q hsf
Thermaltake level 10 gt snow
500GB wd hdd
1tb Seagate hdd
Antec high current pro 1200w power supply
My rig is used for everything, especially gaming
I have a $300 budget
What do you guys recommend?

More about : finding gpu

a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2011 2:00:52 PM

What PSU do you have?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2011 2:03:56 PM

xeneize368 said:
So I own a GTX470 and "the driver" keeps crashing on me, and I lose video, I've tried upgrading and downgrading drivers but that didn't help at all. I used to have an 8800 and that one failed on me too, so i'm ready to give up on nvidia/evga all together. My rig consists of:
i5 2500k
Asus p8z68 v-pro/gen 3 mobo
2x4gb corsair vengeance ram
Thermaltake spin q hsf
Thermaltake level 10 gt snow
500GB wd hdd
1tb Seagate hdd
My rig is used for everything, especially gaming
I have a $300 budget
What do you guys recommend?

You left out the most important component of your computer.....the power supply. ;) 
m
l
Related resources
December 28, 2011 2:08:47 PM

Oops sorry, I have a antec high current pro 1200w power supply
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2011 2:30:59 PM

Yeah it's pretty scary when someone lists ALL of their computer components and then leaves out "Antec High Current Pro 1200w psu".......really makes you wonder if your getting the truth, especially considering I'm wondering why on Earth you would feel you need a 1200w power supply for a system that only draws about 450w....

Obviously you have a driver conflict that you need to address, not buy a new gpu. When is the last time you did a fresh Windows install?? It would be a lot cheaper than a new video card.

m
l
December 28, 2011 2:44:28 PM

I did a fresh windows install yesterday, and this morning, and about 4 more times in the last month or two.
m
l
December 28, 2011 2:48:38 PM

Ive tried basically everything, ive upgraded every part of my PC, tried older and newer drivers, did many fresh windows installs, idk what else there's left to do but to get a new gpu
m
l
a c 230 U Graphics card
December 28, 2011 4:59:42 PM

I had similar problems w/ a GTX 295 FTW from EVGA....20 support calls and 5 RMA's later they have my son a new generation "stock" card....one things EVGA insists on.....

1.65 DRAM voltage .... yeah I didn't get it either but every support call began with them insisting that I do this. I had voltage at 1.5625 and it ran twin 560 Ti's from Asus just fine.....but EVGA seemed to always insist this would solve the problem .... an wouldn't talk about any other options till this was done.
m
l
December 28, 2011 5:05:30 PM

Yea ive had nothing but problems with them, but what gpu would you recommend I get to replace it?
m
l
December 28, 2011 5:13:05 PM

Is the fan on the card still working? If the card keeps crashing during load it may be overheating.

Another option would be to put the card in another PCI-E slot and see if isn't the mobo.

If you want another graphics card on your budget, I recommend a 560Ti if you want to stay with Nvidia or a 6950 if you want an ATI. Both cards are $200 - $300 depending on the brand. I like MSI at this price point.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (MSI Twin Frozr II OC GeForce GTX560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (MSI Twin Frozr III PE/OC Radeon HD 6950 2GB)
m
l
December 28, 2011 5:29:24 PM

I changed mobo, CPU, ram and I still have the same problem, the fan works, what I think the problem is is the ram voltage like jacknaylorpe suggested, but I was told specifically not to get 1.65 voltage ram and my vengeance is 1.5 ive had nothing but problems with evga, whether its gpus or mobo, but I dont really have knowledge on the other brands so thats y im turning to you guys to help me out
m
l
December 28, 2011 6:39:44 PM

1.5v is the recommended safe voltage for ram with your sandy bridge chipset.

Why would a manufacturer ask you to jeopardize your system integrity by raising the ram voltage outside the recommended voltage of your architecture so their graphics card would work? Call me crazy but that is faulty logic.

I understand you are frustrated but I do not recommend increasing your ram voltage.

Again, have you tried a different PCI-E slot for your graphics card?

Have you tried putting your ram in the secondary dual channel slots A2 and B2 to verify it isnt your A1 or B1 channel that is not faulty and causing your screen to go black?

I am trying to help but I need more specifics. You are responding in generalities and it is hard to give a precise answer to a broad problem.

These steps take time. If you are looking for a quick yes or no (is it my grphx card) answer then put your card in another "stable" computer and see if everything is OK. If yes, then it is another component in your system causing you the problem.
m
l
December 28, 2011 7:00:33 PM

Yes, I've tried changing the pci slot. I put the same card in 2 different rigs and I got the same problem. I tried it in the rig listed above and in one with a:
Core 2 quad q6600, evga 750I mobo, 8GB ram corsair xms2, a 600w psu and I got the same issue
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2011 7:36:44 PM

xeneize368 said:
Yes, I've tried changing the pci slot. I put the same card in 2 different rigs and I got the same problem. I tried it in the rig listed above and in one with a:
Core 2 quad q6600, evga 750I mobo, 8GB ram corsair xms2, a 600w psu and I got the same issue

Is the card still in warranty? If so, I'd try for an RMA & get the manufacturer to replace it as it seems to me to be a bad card.
m
l
December 28, 2011 7:47:03 PM

clarkjd said:
Is the card still in warranty? If so, I'd try for an RMA & get the manufacturer to replace it as it seems to me to be a bad card.

yea the card is still under warranty but idk if i can even get an rma since i dont remember where the receipt is and i dont remember the exact day of purchase that is requested on the website

to be honest though, this is the 3rd evga product to fail me, so i dont want to waste any more of my time on them, and if what was said before that some evga products require 1.65v ram, then a new one wont fix the problem
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2011 8:03:34 PM

xeneize368 said:
yea the card is still under warranty but idk if i can even get an rma since i dont remember where the receipt is and i dont remember the exact day of purchase that is requested on the website

to be honest though, this is the 3rd evga product to fail me, so i dont want to waste any more of my time on them, and if what was said before that some evga products require 1.65v ram, then a new one wont fix the problem

Doesn't mean that you can't get an RMA, then sell the card that they sent back to you. It would at least defray some of the expense of a new card..
m
l
December 28, 2011 8:15:00 PM

True, but would they send it in a box? Because I don't know if I have my old box, moving can be a huge pain sometimes
anyways, this thread derailed from the original topic, i'm trying to find a replacement card but i'm not knowledgeable in terms of ati, radeon and all that
m
l
!