Partial build for under $250

txtradegrl

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
So my current build is dying (about 6 years old). But ive upgraded it along the way. I already have the monitors, speakers, keyboard, mouse, and hard drives and optical drives.

All I need is a new case and power supply, processor, MB, memory, and video card.

I found this for a barebones PC build, but it has a HD which I dont need at all, but still $25o is a great price.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2054873&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=.7WaaTN6umc-jP0XU2fORqOubFHr_J9X3w

It has various rebates, but the final price of this will be around $250. Im I gonna be able to get a case, MB, memory, graphics minus a HD for less than this tigerdirect barebones?

tlmck

Distinguished
It would help to know what you are going to use the PC for. That is a pretty low level, old tech type of build. It is perfectly suitable for web browsing, office software, etc... You will not play many games on it though other than web based type of stuff or Solitaire.

It is possible to get a better build for the same money, but I would still need to know what I am shooting for.

txtradegrl

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Sorry, it will be used for light gaming (Quake live), but mostly for internet, streaming video, projects for school (word, powerpoint, excel), some photo editing, all basic stuff.

I do have a dual monitor setup, and one is HDMI other is VGA, so the graphics card will need both (which I think is the norm anyways).

Funny you brought up the power supply, because my power supply failed on my other computer, and it drove me nuts, always restarting and acting weird.

Thanks for that build, I have Amazon Prime so I can get that stuff pretty quick and free shipping.

rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

I would like to point out that 99% of tigerdirect bare-bones are SO BAD (in terms of quality), it's not worth it to buy. ALSO, you don't even save any money.. MAYBE like $20 ==" but you're still getting crap. I was in your position a few months ago, almost bought a barebone from tigerdirect. But I was skeptical, and further research proved me right.

Here's one exception I found though. I know it's out of your budget, but this is an interesting barebone for $415 after rebates.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1963111&CatId=332

You probably don't care, BUT I would say this barebone is good for what you plan to do at the moment, AND it gives you the opportunity to upgrade in case you ever need more gaming performance. The GPU + PSU are quite low end (I mean, crap.), but if you switch those out, you'll be left with a quality budget gaming computer that will perform well.

ALSO, I know you have an ODD + HDD as well, but you can still use them in conjunction with the build. Two is better than one? ;D hehee...

tlmck

Distinguished

Hate to tell you, but that deal is also crap. The Gigabyte is a good motherboard, but very old tech. You could do a low end Intel Core i3 rig that would stomp the AMD. Even if the AMD was overclocked, it would still be only about equal in most applications including games. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

The rest of the components are just very low end and/or low quality like the case and PSU. This is just what Tiger Direct does. Bundles together a bunch of older stuff that is not selling and sticking what seems to be an attractive price on it.

rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

I see your point. But I still think this bare-bone has components from quality manufacturers, regardless of new/old tech. So I found some value in it for that reason.

ASUS, AMD, Patriot, Seagate, Zotac are some of the better manufacturers, are they not?

The Diablotek 600W PSU is a total POS, but a GT520 won't require much power so I think it'll be OK temporarily with... you should be upgrading the PSU if/when you decide to buy a better GPU... theoretically.

tlmck

Distinguished

Compared to what else is available, the answer would be no.

As previously stated, ASUS does indeed make excellent motherboards.

AMD makes decent CPUs, but Intel beats them for performance and power draw at a given price point. Their only current advantage right now is in the APU market due to Intel's sub-par integrated graphics.

Patriot is another in the so so category which is why you will find few of their modules listed on motherboards approved list. They are usually more expensive as well unless they have a problematic product. In that case they will dump them on the market at reduced prices.

Seagate is the 2nd best hard drive out there right now with the demise of Samsung in that market. Western Digital is first quality by a large margin.

Zotac is another so so choice. They work most of the time.

Cannot comment so much on the case as MSI just buys those somewhere and slaps their label on them. Even if cheap, most cases will "work". The only thing to really watch out for is sub par quality power switches and such. They generally fail sooner than later.

My main point was, for the quality and tech you are getting in this kit, it is overpriced and just not worth it IMO. Of course it is not my money we are talking about. If you are happy with your purchase, I wish you the best with it.

rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

Ahhhh I see. I was always under the impression that the brands listed above were quite decent/acceptable by the average person... as compared to some really whack brands like apevia, biostar, foxconn, ... too many to name.

Again, I completely agree with you. My PC contains only ASUS, Intel, Corsair, WD, EVGA, XFX, OCZ... which I felt were the best brands out there. But.. it cost me more than $415.