16x 4x crossfire

Status
Not open for further replies.

016ive

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
hi
i have the SAPPHIRE TOXIC HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 , the Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3 socket 1155 and SeaSonic S12II Bronze 620W 80 PLUS Certified PSU i'm thinking to crossfire by adding another SAPPHIRE TOXIC HD 6850 but i fear that people say the 16x 4x crossfire is not worth it not to mention the micro shuttering so i'm asking is it worth it to crossfire and can i live with the micro shuttering ? or what other updates pass can i go with although i'm quite satisfied with my GPU
thanks in advance :)

Solution
Pretty sure that'll be running the 4x off the south bridge/chipset, which AFAIK is actually a PCIe 1.0, so it's actually more like running 16x/2x which is definitely very bad. If it's a 4x PCIe 2.0 it might be ok. It'll be better than the single card... but, consider if you sell your current 6850, and with the money of buying a second one, you could upgrade to a nice single GPU and not have to worry about anything.
Pretty sure that'll be running the 4x off the south bridge/chipset, which AFAIK is actually a PCIe 1.0, so it's actually more like running 16x/2x which is definitely very bad. If it's a 4x PCIe 2.0 it might be ok. It'll be better than the single card... but, consider if you sell your current 6850, and with the money of buying a second one, you could upgrade to a nice single GPU and not have to worry about anything.

Solution

Headspin_69

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

Um not trollin here but the 6850 CFX can be had for under $300 and deliver GTX 580 class performance which is all anyone needs for 1080p.

sigh... it's not the price. it's not even the very likely scenario of microstuttering. it's x4 in the x16+x4 cfx mode. how the hell would the second card participate in the so called 'GTX 580 class performance' if it's bandwidth gets cut in half?

Headspin_69

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

It's confused what CFX is and is not capable of and SLI for that matter but in this context I suppose he is limited to 4x bandwidth in the second lane and from my XP this condition is a no go it just makes for a choppy performance and holds back the true potential however Microstuttering is not a big problem at all like people make it out to be and is easily mitigated they don't understand the particulars only the hype surrounding it.

may be microstuttering is not a problem for you. but that's not true for everyone else. and microstuttering it not a hype - it's big enough a problem that a lot of people (not you) complain about it and need information on it.

that microstuttering seems to mostly effect the 6850/6870 GPUs for whatever reason. I don't know. I've got 5850s and they run great, and it seems like most people with 6900 GPUs don't generally get it. The only time I've seen it is in Skyrim, but it's a very common issue even with single GPU configs. It's weird and totally unrelated to GPU performance/usage.

Regardless, I think we've come to a conclusion: CF on a 16x/4x mobo is not a good idea.

Headspin_69

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

When your getting 60fps in V-synch and Microstuttering you cannot see it and being any decent SLI/CFX setup will net the end user at leased over and never below 60fps if and when because it should be V-Synch is enabled there is no determinable difference just a perfect gameplay experience.

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Funny. I'm CF-ing 6870s on a 16x/4x board right now. No microstuttering, and it's fast. And I'm talking BF3. I'm only running one monitor, though.

The problem is you need a lot of muscle to drive three 1080p screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.