Closed Solved

16x 4x crossfire

hi
i have the SAPPHIRE TOXIC HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 , the Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3 socket 1155 and SeaSonic S12II Bronze 620W 80 PLUS Certified PSU i'm thinking to crossfire by adding another SAPPHIRE TOXIC HD 6850 but i fear that people say the 16x 4x crossfire is not worth it not to mention the micro shuttering so i'm asking is it worth it to crossfire and can i live with the micro shuttering ? or what other updates pass can i go with although i'm quite satisfied with my GPU
thanks in advance :)
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about crossfire
  1. Don't do it broskie. Save your bucks for something better later.
  2. Why you no buy a new motherboard?
  3. Best answer
    Pretty sure that'll be running the 4x off the south bridge/chipset, which AFAIK is actually a PCIe 1.0, so it's actually more like running 16x/2x which is definitely very bad. If it's a 4x PCIe 2.0 it might be ok. It'll be better than the single card... but, consider if you sell your current 6850, and with the money of buying a second one, you could upgrade to a nice single GPU and not have to worry about anything.
  4. No its not worth it
  5. for cfxing amd cards go with 6950 and above.
    if you're satisfied with your current gfx card, stick with it.
    cfxing at x16+x4 isn't worth it.
    toms' microstuttering analysis:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html
  6. de5_Roy said:
    for cfxing amd cards go with 6950 and above.
    if you're satisfied with your current gfx card, stick with it.
    cfxing at x16+x4 isn't worth it.
    toms' microstuttering analysis:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

    Um not trollin here but the 6850 CFX can be had for under $300 and deliver GTX 580 class performance which is all anyone needs for 1080p.
  7. Headspin_69 said:
    Um not trollin here but the 6850 CFX can be had for under $300 and deliver GTX 580 class performance which is all anyone needs for 1080p.

    sigh... it's not the price. it's not even the very likely scenario of microstuttering. it's x4 in the x16+x4 cfx mode. how the hell would the second card participate in the so called 'GTX 580 class performance' if it's bandwidth gets cut in half?
  8. de5_Roy said:
    sigh... it's not the price. it's not even the very likely scenario of microstuttering. it's x4 in the x16+x4 cfx mode. how the hell would the second card participate in the so called 'GTX 580 class performance' if it's bandwidth gets cut in half?

    It's confused what CFX is and is not capable of and SLI for that matter but in this context I suppose he is limited to 4x bandwidth in the second lane and from my XP this condition is a no go it just makes for a choppy performance and holds back the true potential however Microstuttering is not a big problem at all like people make it out to be and is easily mitigated they don't understand the particulars only the hype surrounding it.
  9. Headspin_69 said:
    It's confused what CFX is and is not capable of and SLI for that matter but in this context I suppose he is limited to 4x bandwidth in the second lane and from my XP this condition is a no go it just makes for a choppy performance and holds back the true potential however Microstuttering is not a big problem at all like people make it out to be and is easily mitigated they don't understand the particulars only the hype surrounding it.

    may be microstuttering is not a problem for you. but that's not true for everyone else. and microstuttering it not a hype - it's big enough a problem that a lot of people (not you) complain about it and need information on it.
  10. that microstuttering seems to mostly effect the 6850/6870 GPUs for whatever reason. I don't know. I've got 5850s and they run great, and it seems like most people with 6900 GPUs don't generally get it. The only time I've seen it is in Skyrim, but it's a very common issue even with single GPU configs. It's weird and totally unrelated to GPU performance/usage.

    Regardless, I think we've come to a conclusion: CF on a 16x/4x mobo is not a good idea.
  11. Best answer selected by 016ive.
  12. thanks everybody i think i will wait a while and get a new single GPU
  13. de5_Roy said:
    may be microstuttering is not a problem for you. but that's not true for everyone else. and microstuttering it not a hype - it's big enough a problem that a lot of people (not you) complain about it and need information on it.

    When your getting 60fps in V-synch and Microstuttering you cannot see it and being any decent SLI/CFX setup will net the end user at leased over and never below 60fps if and when because it should be V-Synch is enabled there is no determinable difference just a perfect gameplay experience.
  14. Funny. I'm CF-ing 6870s on a 16x/4x board right now. No microstuttering, and it's fast. And I'm talking BF3. I'm only running one monitor, though.

    The problem is you need a lot of muscle to drive three 1080p screens.
  15. i have one 1080p monitor so how many FPS are you getting ?
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Sapphire Crossfire HD Graphics