Super Quiet Computer Case for 7970?

halodude23

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
My 7970 is extremely loud at 80% and even 100%, it's like a vacuum so I'm looking foward to any opinions of a silent pc case that can handle 3000-5000 RPM fans (I've been looking at the Antec Sonata and Performance ones but I'm not sure, I heard they weren't really that quiet)

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
I believe you'll have to do some DIY foaming inside the case to decrease the sound escaping. I'm not sure if cases come designed to be quiet, but more like they come with quieter fans.

halodude23

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009

I'm not quite sure how to install the DIY foam pads and I've seen them, they're quite expensive.........

What case do you have now?
What is your budget?

The things you mentioned about 7970 at 80/100% and 3000-5000RPM fans confuses me. Because if you don't want a noisy system then you don't want 3000-5000RPM fans, no case in the world will stop that kind of noise. And you should be trying to avoid running the fan on your 7970 at 80/100%.

halodude23

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009

There's this "Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme 7970" I've already heard about it, it seems like my only solution(Some people reported that it fried their cards) it's quite expensive too, at 80$.......

halodude23

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009

Well, I saw that already, if your read the 1 stars, it stated that it fried their cards, that's a concern for me since paying 460$ for a GPU is pretty expensive and another 80$ to break your card isn't worth it. I'm not sure if some people got defective ones or parts of the heatsink came into contact with the chips.

halodude23

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009

I have 3 Delta fans, a mid tower Silverstone TJ04-E(my budget is a cheap solution to deal with the problem, give me some solutions and I'll consider it), but only 1 of them are installed. It runs at 3200 RPM the max and I have a fan controller for it, I'm not really concerned about that, but when I crank up the Sapphire 7970, it really kills my ears when I listen to it. I sought of a solution, perhaps to buy some Noise Dampeners but I don't know where to place them and I don't see the point since most of them can catch on fire if the temperature is too high and they emit an odor, from what I've read. If I were to mine BTC 24/7 then I'd have to leave it at 80% since it's about 64*C on Speedfan. I thought maybe the Antec cases might block out some noise since they have some noise dampening material and they barely have any corners or leakage seeing as the Front Cover has a door on it.

InvalidError

Titan
How are your case fans configured?

To help the GPU get its hot air out the slot exhaust to minimize hot-air recirculation around the GPU, I would make sure my case is configured for positive pressure: font/bottom/side-pannel fans setup as intake at medium or high speed, rear fan as exhaust on low speed, top fans (if any) disconnected, unused fan mounts taped shut. The pressure should help the GPU fan push more air out at lower RPMs which should make it more efficient and quieter.

Total cost to try this assuming you already have fans: $0.

halodude23

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009

My case fans are

1 on the Left, 2 on top and that's about it, they all blow out of the case.

It's also possible to install one fan on the bottom of the case.

InvalidError

Titan

Which means your case is operating in negative pressure and your 7970's fan is working extra hard to try shoving air out the back while your case fans try to suck it in.

If you could relocate your top fans to intake positions as intake fans, things would probably improve quite a bit.

halodude23

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009

It's for my Corsair H100 though..... So, I would be blowing more hot air back into my case?

InvalidError

Titan

Well, sucking air in through the radiator would be somewhat counter-productive when part of the goal is to avoid feeding the GPU pre-heated air.

In that case, you could reduce the fan speed on radiator/rear fans and add intake fans at the bottom and behind the HDD trays... or temporarily relocate existing fans to test whether or not this might help before buying fans.

mazchazo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
No case will cover your 80% or 100% speed video card, unless you are just looking to quiet down your graphics card on idle.

Best option is to get an aftermarket video cooler that is quiet. video cooler max noise level is like 26 dBA, if that's good for you.

If not, watercooling is your only option, and you have to get a quiet water pump for that. Water cooling video cards with a cpu will cost you more than 200 dollars.

mazchazo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

If 80 dollars is expensive, then don't bother trying to silence your pc. You will look to be using 80 dollars for the vga cooler, and changing out those delta fans with quiet fans is 10-20 dollars each. That is the cheapest option. The expensive option is water cooling, which is 200-300 dollars.

You might want to consider watercooling because you can think of doing it not just for silencing your pc, but for looks, for performance, and having your first custom watercooling system, but of course the money for watercooling isn't worth it, so this might not be a good option.

If you already have the h100, just get this cooler for your VGA and save 50 bucks, so your watercooling cost is 150-250ish.

Idk why you have delta fans, they aren't necessary. Get noctua fans, if you have money, or scythe fans for cheap, but a bit louder than noctua.

TRENDING THREADS