Microphone does NOT work

October 3, 2004 2:52:28 PM

Microphone does NOT work

I cannot have my microphone working. I used several microphones and tested
the audio card. It looks like an XP problem. In fact, the XP Guide states
that to configure the microphone I have to use the Control Panel->Voice
Recognition panel. However my XP is Italian, and for Italian there is NO
voice recognition. So THAT panel does not exist. I can see only the Voice
Syntesys panel with one voice available only. Furthermore, most of controls
and commands described in XP Guide are grayed out or not visible.

On the other hand, I do NOT need my microphone for voice recognition, but
for other applications (VoIP, sound recording, etc...). Any help
appreciated. Obviously microphone is NOT in Mute mode.

Thank you in advace.

Dario de Judicibus
www.dejudicibus.it

More about : microphone work

October 3, 2004 2:52:29 PM

Have you tried unplugging the mic then switching the PC off. Plug the mic
back in and reboot...Windows should detect a new device.
Also go to Start/Control Panel/Sounds Speech and Audio/Sounds and Audio
Devices/Audio tab - check the volume there?

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
"Dario de Judicibus" <NOSPAM.dejudicibus@geocities.com> wrote in message
news:o xjWNZSqEHA.192@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Microphone does NOT work
>
> I cannot have my microphone working. I used several microphones and tested
> the audio card. It looks like an XP problem. In fact, the XP Guide states
> that to configure the microphone I have to use the Control Panel->Voice
> Recognition panel. However my XP is Italian, and for Italian there is NO
> voice recognition. So THAT panel does not exist. I can see only the Voice
> Syntesys panel with one voice available only. Furthermore, most of
> controls
> and commands described in XP Guide are grayed out or not visible.
>
> On the other hand, I do NOT need my microphone for voice recognition, but
> for other applications (VoIP, sound recording, etc...). Any help
> appreciated. Obviously microphone is NOT in Mute mode.
>
> Thank you in advace.
>
> Dario de Judicibus
> www.dejudicibus.it

Anonymous
October 3, 2004 2:52:30 PM

How long has Windows been showing a mic, headphones or headset as 'new
hardware detected'?.. mine has never done that..

"Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
> Have you tried unplugging the mic then switching the PC off. Plug the mic
> back in and reboot...Windows should detect a new device.
> Also go to Start/Control Panel/Sounds Speech and Audio/Sounds and Audio
> Devices/Audio tab - check the volume there?
>
> --
> Peter.
> Toronto, Canada.
> XP Home SP2.
> P4 Dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.
> "Dario de Judicibus" <NOSPAM.dejudicibus@geocities.com> wrote in message
> news:o xjWNZSqEHA.192@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Microphone does NOT work
>>
>> I cannot have my microphone working. I used several microphones and
>> tested
>> the audio card. It looks like an XP problem. In fact, the XP Guide states
>> that to configure the microphone I have to use the Control Panel->Voice
>> Recognition panel. However my XP is Italian, and for Italian there is NO
>> voice recognition. So THAT panel does not exist. I can see only the Voice
>> Syntesys panel with one voice available only. Furthermore, most of
>> controls
>> and commands described in XP Guide are grayed out or not visible.
>>
>> On the other hand, I do NOT need my microphone for voice recognition, but
>> for other applications (VoIP, sound recording, etc...). Any help
>> appreciated. Obviously microphone is NOT in Mute mode.
>>
>> Thank you in advace.
>>
>> Dario de Judicibus
>> www.dejudicibus.it

Related resources
October 3, 2004 2:52:31 PM

Mine does every time...sorry it's not Windows that does it...it's my sound
card (Soundmax)....thanks for correcting me.

--
"Mike H" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> How long has Windows been showing a mic, headphones or headset as 'new
> hardware detected'?.. mine has never done that..
>

> "Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
>> Have you tried unplugging the mic then switching the PC off. Plug the
>> mic back in and reboot...Windows should detect a new device.
>> Also go to Start/Control Panel/Sounds Speech and Audio/Sounds and Audio
>> Devices/Audio tab - check the volume there?
>>
>> --
>> Peter.
>> Toronto, Canada.
>> XP Home SP2.
>> P4 Dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.
>> "Dario de Judicibus" <NOSPAM.dejudicibus@geocities.com> wrote in message
>> news:o xjWNZSqEHA.192@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> Microphone does NOT work
>>>
>>> I cannot have my microphone working. I used several microphones and
>>> tested
>>> the audio card. It looks like an XP problem. In fact, the XP Guide
>>> states
>>> that to configure the microphone I have to use the Control Panel->Voice
>>> Recognition panel. However my XP is Italian, and for Italian there is NO
>>> voice recognition. So THAT panel does not exist. I can see only the
>>> Voice
>>> Syntesys panel with one voice available only. Furthermore, most of
>>> controls
>>> and commands described in XP Guide are grayed out or not visible.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, I do NOT need my microphone for voice recognition,
>>> but
>>> for other applications (VoIP, sound recording, etc...). Any help
>>> appreciated. Obviously microphone is NOT in Mute mode.
>>>
>>> Thank you in advace.
>>>
>>> Dario de Judicibus
>>> www.dejudicibus.it

Anonymous
October 3, 2004 4:40:00 PM

Control Panel, Sound and Audio Devices, top Advanced button.

Are you sure your microphone is not mute? It is by default.

In that same panel: Options, Properties, Recording. Is Microphone
selected? It should be. That's all there is to configuring the mic.

The Voice Recognition Panel has nothing to do with configuring the mic.
In fact, it can't work unless you mic does in the first place.

courtney sends.....

Dario de Judicibus wrote:

> Microphone does NOT work
>
> I cannot have my microphone working. I used several microphones and tested
> the audio card. It looks like an XP problem. In fact, the XP Guide states
> that to configure the microphone I have to use the Control Panel->Voice
> Recognition panel. However my XP is Italian, and for Italian there is NO
> voice recognition. So THAT panel does not exist. I can see only the Voice
> Syntesys panel with one voice available only. Furthermore, most of controls
> and commands described in XP Guide are grayed out or not visible.
>
> On the other hand, I do NOT need my microphone for voice recognition, but
> for other applications (VoIP, sound recording, etc...). Any help
> appreciated. Obviously microphone is NOT in Mute mode.
>
> Thank you in advace.
>
> Dario de Judicibus
> www.dejudicibus.it

October 3, 2004 8:51:19 PM

go to sound and audio device properties and open voice and click test
hardware
"Dario de Judicibus" <NOSPAM.dejudicibus@geocities.com> wrote in message
news:o xjWNZSqEHA.192@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Microphone does NOT work
>
> I cannot have my microphone working. I used several microphones and tested
> the audio card. It looks like an XP problem. In fact, the XP Guide states
> that to configure the microphone I have to use the Control Panel->Voice
> Recognition panel. However my XP is Italian, and for Italian there is NO
> voice recognition. So THAT panel does not exist. I can see only the Voice
> Syntesys panel with one voice available only. Furthermore, most of
> controls
> and commands described in XP Guide are grayed out or not visible.
>
> On the other hand, I do NOT need my microphone for voice recognition, but
> for other applications (VoIP, sound recording, etc...). Any help
> appreciated. Obviously microphone is NOT in Mute mode.
>
> Thank you in advace.
>
> Dario de Judicibus
> www.dejudicibus.it

Anonymous
October 3, 2004 11:52:19 PM

I once recorded an awful lot of silence because my mic was mute. Make
sure your mic is selected. I can't remember the obscure place that XP
shows you this, but if you don't get sorted I'll put some time into
finding it.

Checkout www.italian-heritage-ancoats.org.uk

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 12:40:00 -0500, Courtney <a@b.c> wrote:

>Control Panel, Sound and Audio Devices, top Advanced button.
>
>Are you sure your microphone is not mute? It is by default.
>
>In that same panel: Options, Properties, Recording. Is Microphone
>selected? It should be. That's all there is to configuring the mic.
>
>The Voice Recognition Panel has nothing to do with configuring the mic.
>In fact, it can't work unless you mic does in the first place.
>
>courtney sends.....
>

>Dario de Judicibus wrote:
>
>> Microphone does NOT work
>>
>> I cannot have my microphone working. I used several microphones and tested
>> the audio card. It looks like an XP problem. In fact, the XP Guide states
>> that to configure the microphone I have to use the Control Panel->Voice
>> Recognition panel. However my XP is Italian, and for Italian there is NO
>> voice recognition. So THAT panel does not exist. I can see only the Voice
>> Syntesys panel with one voice available only. Furthermore, most of controls
>> and commands described in XP Guide are grayed out or not visible.
>>
>> On the other hand, I do NOT need my microphone for voice recognition, but
>> for other applications (VoIP, sound recording, etc...). Any help
>> appreciated. Obviously microphone is NOT in Mute mode.
>>
>> Thank you in advace.
>>
>> Dario de Judicibus
>> www.dejudicibus.it

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 7:32:51 PM

Control Panel
Sounds and Audio devices
Audio tab
Volume
check mark in Select under Microphone
Also "Raise" the Volume slider

Courtney T

----------------------------

--------------------
> >Dario de Judicibus wrote:
> >
> >> Microphone does NOT work

Anonymous
October 14, 2004 2:43:43 PM

Courtney wrote:
> Control Panel, Sound and Audio Devices, top Advanced button.
>
> Are you sure your microphone is not mute? It is by default.

It is not. I found the problem. It was a setting of my audio card which was
set to manage four speakers rather than two. Such a setting uses the
microphone out port for speakers. By resetting the profile to TWO speakers,
the microphone worked again.

I say that just in case somebody else will experience the same problem in
future.

Dario de Judicibus
www.dejudicibus.it
!