Is AMD being hypocritical about benchmark ethics?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
So far, AMD's talking a good game. Now can they walk a good game? If the damned proc's so good, start releasing some ES procs WITHOUT NDA's.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
I was just complaining about this yesterday in another thread. I am sure all of these companies have done this kind of stuff before. no one holds these guys accountable for this kind of stuff. those amd execs are making allot of bold claims and statments but so far are proving the opposite of what they claim

Yeah, but AMD cant be held accountable as they are the "morally superior" company

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
http://www.betanews.com/article/AMD_Claims_of_Intel_Benchmarks_Not_Ethical_Scrutinized/1172873475
AMD thought long and hard today about how to respond to Ou's claims, before electing to decline comment to BetaNews.

AMD is funny. Har har :lol:

Well, your link is now the third article Ive seen about this incident. (IMO it now offically ranks as 'incident' :wink: ) I'll be honest, IMO I dont think it was intentional, at least not by Richards. I only think this because I cant believe he would have been so stupid as to try and pull off a stunt like that. He would have had to have known that someone would have figured it out and publicized the fact. Just as they did.

Regardless, he is now omlet ale' Richards because of the egg on his face. It matters little though, the Horde will forgive him if only to aviod admiting that AMD can make mistakes or is not as morally superior as they claim.

qurious69ss

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
Does anyone know if this 10-40% advantage of k8L over core2 is for clock for clock???

AMD are deliberately remaining vague on that.

Extremely vague. I remember that when the 4X4 was first announces last summer, that there was a vague number also thrown out that had the 4X4 performing XX% faster than the intel chips, and of course we know what happened there. It's also interesting how similar this barcelona release has been to that of the 4X4, very little benchmark numbers. I remember when the Athlon64 was first introduced, they had benchmarks everywhere months before the actual release. What's changed?

InteliotInside

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Does anyone know if this 10-40% advantage of k8L over core2 is for clock for clock???

AMD are deliberately remaining vague on that.

Extremely vague. I remember that when the 4X4 was first announces last summer, that there was a vague number also thrown out that had the 4X4 performing XX% faster than the intel chips, and of course we know what happened there. It's also interesting how similar this barcelona release has been to that of the 4X4, very little benchmark numbers. I remember when the Athlon64 was first introduced, they had benchmarks everywhere months before the actual release. What's changed?

Well said. Right now there's a complete role reversal of what was going on a few years ago.

Back then Intel was always hesitant releasing new info and benchmarks of its NetBurst based chips.

Now with Core, they're proud to paste advertisements everywhere, benchmarks on their sites and release ES for reviewers everywhere.

Where are thou AMD?

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Hypocritical? Maybe. But at least they are touting month-old benchmarks, rather than 5 year old benchmarks (from the video).

Not to mention, this was a presentation about AMD products. Not a comparison between AMD and Intel products.

Besides, why is it even a problem? People can see that benchmark data is 5 years old or 5 days old. And he does have a point. Intel does seem to be taking a bullying approach to competing with AMD. At least thats what I got out of the video and articles.

qurious69ss

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
Hypocritical? Maybe. But at least they are touting month-old benchmarks, rather than 5 year old benchmarks (from the video).

Not to mention, this was a presentation about AMD products. Not a comparison between AMD and Intel products.

Besides, why is it even a problem? People can see that benchmark data is 5 years old or 5 days old. And he does have a point. Intel does seem to be taking a bullying approach to competing with AMD. At least thats what I got out of the video and articles.

Hypocritical, period. They brought this up and now can't even provide an answer to why they did the same thing with their recent benchmarks. Hypocrisy is a mutha.

accord99

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2004
AMD had no problems with it last November:
http://i17.tinypic.com/2eq51k5.jpg

Manufacturer's using the latest AMD processors seemed to have no problems submitting results for SPEC 2000, since these results were submitted by the system manufacturers themselves.

AMD had their own aggressive marketing when they were ahead, like their multi-core for dummies book.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Nah...it's only Henri Richards full of BS, as always.
4x4vsc2qbp1.jpg

Ranman68k

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Good point.... first they say 40% better using SPEC_2000, then complain when Intel uses SPEC_2000 :) :) that's kinda funny.

AMD is betting that most people either have short term memories or never heard this complaint against Intel.

Or else... maybe... AMD has a short term memory or never heard this complaint against Intel. :lol:

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Manufacturer's using the latest AMD processors seemed to have no problems submitting results for SPEC 2000, since these results were submitted by the system manufacturers themselves.

AMD had their own aggressive marketing when they were ahead, like their multi-core for dummies book. We can't forget AMD's cockiness with their "dual-core challenge": :wink:

Is AMD hoping we'll all forget this?

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006

AMD had their own aggressive marketing when they were ahead, like their multi-core for dummies book. We can't forget AMD's cockiness with their "dual-core challenge": :wink:

Oh I do remember that now! I LOL'd when I watched that video. I couldn't believe the hubris they were showing. I guess they got what was coming to them then.

I think about that set of videos sometimes, and I can't help but think that Intel was too busy getting their new products ready to mess around with trying to make Netburst outperform K8. Seems to me that the exact reverse of roles is true now, at least from the marketing side of things.

The future, I feel, holds many strange and wonderful things for us. Things we cannot see, cannot feel, cannot even imagine...

OK. Now I'm getting delirious. Its bedtime for me. See you all tomorrow!

The future: VIA is going to take the CPU market by storm!!!!11elevenone

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
We can't forget AMD's cockiness with their "dual-core challenge": :wink:

Intel did not accept AMD's challenge. Now that the tables have turned, I wonder if AMD would accept a similar challenge from Intel? I think we all know the answer to that. :wink:

btw: Here's a link to AMD's top ten reasons as to why Intel did not accept the challenge. Now that is cocky! :lol:#2 is just utterly amazing. Who's kissing DELL's ass now? :roll:

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Hypocritical, period. They brought this up and now can't even provide an answer to why they did the same thing with their recent benchmarks. Hypocrisy is a mutha.

AMD never said 4x4 was supposed to be faster than C2Q. They said it would shows linear increases in threaded environments and allow for intensive multi-tasking(I can't say mega-...).

Ranman68k

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
AMD never said 4x4 was supposed to be faster than C2Q. They said it would shows linear increases in threaded environments and allow for intensive multi-tasking(I can't say mega-...).

Of course they didn't --- because it wasn't. They did claim 80% performance improvement over certain aps compared to a k8.

Both points sound pretty reasonable as well as believable.