Sign in with
Your question

Abou Ivy bridge

Last response: in CPUs
June 15, 2012 3:19:27 PM

i have some plan for build a gaming system, i am interested about an ivy bridge processor, but i heard that processor is not so good, because of temperature it easily to heat. question is...
1. is there would be a revision version for ivy bridge ?
2. should i build with that processor, or i wait for haswell ?

nb : im sory ican write english well

More about : abou ivy bridge

a c 81 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 3:26:46 PM

faustine84 said:
i have some plan for build a gaming system, i am interested about an ivy bridge processor, but i heard that processor is not so good, because of temperature it easily to heat. question is...
1. is there would be a revision version for ivy bridge ?
2. should i build with that processor, or i wait for haswell ?

if you're looking for info on the whole pc, ask in the systems>new build section and use the new build form.
the cpu runs fine at stock settings, gets hotter once a certain threshold is passed and temps ramp up fast. if i remember correctly, unlocked ivb cpus have higher tjmax temp than sandy bridge from which i suspect that that intel knew that ivb would run hot. moreover, it seems that intel knowingly used a cheaper thermal interface material under ivb cpus' heatspreader unlike with sandy bridge cpus where intel used superior quality fluxless solder.
as for your questions -
1. in my opinion, unlikely. revisions only happen when a hardware bug is found or if intel thinks revision is needed.
2. depends on your current pc configuration, budget, preference, mindset (if you want to build now or later or when in the future)...
Quote:

as long as you can get your point across correctly, it's okay.

both sandy bridge and ivy bridge cpus will make viable gaming pcs today. can't say about haswell as information is scarce and will know nothing for certain until haswell comes out.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 15, 2012 4:24:20 PM

well, ivy get hotter but too much as you thought many people spreading it's rumour that those cpu's aren't good but that is entirely wrong، infact niether cpu could beat the ivy bridge the heat would be not an issue if you own a decent cooler like hyper 212 evo or something beast like a corsair H100 it never let your ivy cpu to hit more than75c at maximum load.

Many people won't have experience with ivy cpu's and are saying that ivy cpu's are bad and become very hotter, so this is not exactly true.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 15, 2012 4:36:20 PM

Unless you overclock it past a certain point, which you'll undoubtedly find yourself if you OC, the temps are perfectly fine. People are freaking out way too much about the heat. The fact of the matter is that they took the power of the Sandy Bridge, shrunk it down, decreased the power draw, and increased performance about 10%. Shrinking the die, mixed with the new cooling technique Intel is using, has caused the chips to run a bit hotter at higher clocks, but you'll be fine
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 4:53:46 PM

there's also a difference between heat and temperature, the temperature is higher but the amount of heat energy produced is lower, hence it won't heat your room up as much.
m
l
June 16, 2012 6:37:50 AM

I'm very happy with my 3570k. With a hyper 212 evo, my temps stay under 63-64C at full load, stock multiplier. At 4.2 GHz, I think it ran around 75-76C at full load.
m
l
!