Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Gaming Rig advice

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 28, 2012 5:12:19 PM

Hello,

I am an experienced builder in NYC New York that has not put together a new rig in about 4 years. I want a new machine that will provide me the ability to play any game out there at high to extreme settings at 5760x1200 resolution. I am including my newegg wish list for your consideration. I want to stay under $3200 including shipping and not including MAIL IN rebates as i will likely never mail them in. This needs to be a gaming rig as well as a content creation box for web development, video and photoshop done on a semi pro level only (part time) I think I have done about as well as I can do, but am reaching out to the community just in case I have missed something.

thanks in advance

JB

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...


More about : gaming rig advice

a b 4 Gaming
February 28, 2012 5:24:59 PM

That is a nice build you got that there! I honestly would not bother with liquid cooling. The Noctua D14 is $30 cheaper and performs the same. Excellent monitor choice! I plan to get the same monitor for my build! :) 

For $5 less you can get the P8Z68 V-Pro/Gen3, which is more future proof. One more thing: I would get lower profile of the brand of ram.

Besides that, everything is perfect!
m
0
l
a c 278 4 Gaming
February 28, 2012 5:27:25 PM

Ditch the sound card - that is not needed. I'm really in the minority on this board when I say that I really hate spending hundreds of dollars on expensive peripherals when I can get the same results with a $50 Logitech keyboard and mouse set. To me this is the least important part of the build - is what's outside the case, the most important is what's inside. The mouse pad is a waste, IMO - that is not needed. I haven't used a mouse pad since high school. :lol: 

The PSU and SSD setup are also major overkill - a 1250W PSU is not needed on any build unless you're powering four video cards or some crazy custom cooling solution. Get a 128GB SSD and a 2TB secondary storage solution. 2 x 240GB SSDs will eat a large portion of your budget when the drives run at about $400 a piece. Put that money into getting the best GPU you can get.

Also - watch the RAM - Sandy Bridge DOES NOT MIX with 8GB chips - despite that most Z68 motherboards claim to - most run into serious problems - you need 4GB max.

Try this:

Case: Corsair Carbide 500R - $139.99
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 950W - $149.99
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 - $329.99
CPU: 3.30GHz Intel Core i7-3820 - $389.99
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 - $89.99
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Redline 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - $159.99
SSD: 128GB Crucial M4 - $174.99
HD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB - $179.99
Optical: LG Black BD-R Burner - $59.99
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 - $579.99
OS: Windows 7 Pro - $139.99
Monitor: ASUS VE248Q 24" LED Backlight Widescreen LCD - $199.99

Use the leftover difference and then you can fund the expensive peripherals.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 28, 2012 5:34:01 PM

I think you would be happier and save a few bucks with these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (You can Still max out your SLI/Crossfire capability on your motherboard. saving you about 50$. Seasonic isnt the best brand in the world either.

Also i think you would like the Logitech G110. you can get its much cooler version the G510 (I use one) which has a Built in keyboard monitor with many applets for it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As for everything else, ill let the others decide but you are set man, perfect build. if i had the money i'd be right up there with ya. Looks like you still got the touch for building computers haha
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 28, 2012 5:42:30 PM

g-unit1111 said:

Monitor: ASUS VE248Q 24" LED Backlight Widescreen LCD - $199.99

His monitor was just fine. IPS are not just for video editing. You might want to read this: www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1615513
Also, he said he wants 1200p. The monitor you linked is 1080p.

Also, your way of building a computer doesn't work for everyone. You have to understand that peripherals on his kind of budget are fine to get. You changed a lot of things around for no reason. Besides the suggestions I made, his build was perfectly fine, especially the monitor. IPS gives much better input lag and the response time is Black to White, not Grey to Grey on his.
m
0
l
a c 278 4 Gaming
February 28, 2012 5:55:25 PM

azeem40 said:
His monitor was just fine. IPS are not just for video editing. You might want to read this: www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1615513
Also, he said he wants 1200p. The monitor you linked is 1080p.

Also, your way of building a computer doesn't work for everyone. You have to understand that peripherals on his kind of budget are fine to get. You changed a lot of things around for no reason. Besides the suggestions I made, his build was perfectly fine, especially the monitor. IPS gives much better input lag and the response time is Black to White, not Grey to Grey on his.


I know it's just me, but I'll never spend $100 on a keyboard or $200 on a mouse - to me it's a huge waste of money and I really don't care what they do or what makes them better than a cheap keyboard. I'd rather get an awesome GPU setup or the best CPU / motherboard combo I can get and worry about the peripherals later. The only time I'd need to spend money on a keyboard like that is if I needed the backlight. But even then most people usually don't. The one thing i don't get is the $24 mouse pad though - I haven't used a mouse pad in like 10 years and it's something I'll probably never buy again.

If you stick with the original build - you have to watch the RAM though - Sandy Bridge does not mix with 8GB chips. And then there's the tall heat spreader issue.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 29, 2012 4:40:12 AM

If he wants to spend that much on peripherals, he should be able to and not be told otherwise.

OP: Honestly, I would only change the things I recommended because the rest of your build is just great!
m
0
l
February 29, 2012 2:06:07 PM

azeem40 said:
That is a nice build you got that there! I honestly would not bother with liquid cooling. The Noctua D14 is $30 cheaper and performs the same. Excellent monitor choice! I plan to get the same monitor for my build! :) 

For $5 less you can get the P8Z68 V-Pro/Gen3, which is more future proof. One more thing: I would get lower profile of the brand of ram.

Besides that, everything is perfect!


Thanks! I looked at Z68 and my thoughts were while PCI E 3.0 is desirable, I want the better PCI E 2.0 performance now as I will be going to dual video cards fairly soon. will PCI E 3.0@ 8x give me better throughput than PCI E 2.0 @ 16x? are the 3.0 cards more expensive? Is the board in general a better performer? I will be overclocking, CPU, Memory, GPU. If it offers better performance or is more stable I would certainly switch.
m
0
l
February 29, 2012 6:46:18 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Ditch the sound card - that is not needed. I'm really in the minority on this board when I say that I really hate spending hundreds of dollars on expensive peripherals when I can get the same results with a $50 Logitech keyboard and mouse set. To me this is the least important part of the build - is what's outside the case, the most important is what's inside. The mouse pad is a waste, IMO - that is not needed. I haven't used a mouse pad since high school. :lol: 

The PSU and SSD setup are also major overkill - a 1250W PSU is not needed on any build unless you're powering four video cards or some crazy custom cooling solution. Get a 128GB SSD and a 2TB secondary storage solution. 2 x 240GB SSDs will eat a large portion of your budget when the drives run at about $400 a piece. Put that money into getting the best GPU you can get.

Also - watch the RAM - Sandy Bridge DOES NOT MIX with 8GB chips - despite that most Z68 motherboards claim to - most run into serious problems - you need 4GB max.

Try this:

Case: Corsair Carbide 500R - $139.99
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 950W - $149.99
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 - $329.99
CPU: 3.30GHz Intel Core i7-3820 - $389.99
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 - $89.99
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Redline 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - $159.99
SSD: 128GB Crucial M4 - $174.99
HD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB - $179.99
Optical: LG Black BD-R Burner - $59.99
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 - $579.99
OS: Windows 7 Pro - $139.99
Monitor: ASUS VE248Q 24" LED Backlight Widescreen LCD - $199.99

Use the leftover difference and then you can fund the expensive peripherals.


Thanks! While I know that on board audio has improved a great deal since the days I first built my first system (1987 or '88) I have also always done some audio production work like creating tutorials, audio recording and editing for self released music cd's etc. I would certainly never spend 200-300 dollars on an audio solution for a PC, but I do want the kind of sound quality and feature set that discrete audio can offer. I KNOW that on board audio can't match up to a 300.00 sound card, but does on board audio these days sound good enough to compete (as good or better) than my desired 99.00 solution? if it does I would certainly ditch it. that would be a great savings. also, I just dont game, although this build has gaming at it's center of importance. So, I love a mechanical keyboard. The durabilty, feedback and speed at which I can type make it a must have. so, why not one that is geared toward gaming? I appreciate your thoughts on this, but I will not be spending much more on this rig in the near future. I have a few upgrade paths to more ram, second video card, triple monitors and added storage but that's it. I need a setup that is super comfortable, durable and looks good as it will be placed in an open area of my apt. (being in NYC I live in a one room apt.)

I am concerned with the high density dimms, P67 and Z68 all say 32 GB on 4 slots, how can they not work with 8GB dimms? need to find a definte source on this. can you point me in the right direction?
m
0
l
!