2500k vs 3570k

hi guys,I'm wondering which proc to buy.

I want to buy it now on amazon and sandy bridge 2500k is 220$ and ivy bridge 3570k is 228$ :D

actually it's not about money,I'm just interested which one to buy ? (I can buy only on amazon)

other main components of system are: 8gb ram 1600 g.skill,Z77 LE asus (GPU isn't yet decided)

thanks in advance :)

I've heard ivy is more hot (actually how that can be when it's new generation) and overclocks worse than sandy

so any advices will be great for me ;)
50 answers Last reply
More about 2500k 3570k
  1. Personally I would say that if you did't originally have a Sandy Bridge processor then get Ivy Bridge but not if you already have Sandy Bridge. For a $8 difference, get the Ivy Bridge.
  2. Engima said:
    Personally I would say that if you did't originally have a Sandy Bridge processor then get Ivy Bridge but not if you already have Sandy Bridge. For a $8 difference, get the Ivy Bridge.


    yes,but where are arguments ? :)
  3. ivy bridge
  4. I just bought an Ivy i5 as an upgrade from a 1st gen i7-870, and I'm personally glad I went Ivy over Sandy because I have the satisfaction of having the latest technology for essentially the same price. Of course newer technology isn't always better, but that's generally the deal. I'm at 4.2 GHz with an Asus Sabertooth Z77 board (auto overclock, did not try to push it yet), and my temps sit comfortably around 50-55C when gaming. Much better than my laptop which idles at that temp LOL
  5. There is no argument. Ivy bride is the better one to get..

    Yes you cannot OC ivy bridge as much in comparison to sandy bridge but ivy bridge processors are already running near its max capability.

    OC will always have its risks, why bother to OC when you can the processors that are already running near is max capability stably without OC and for around the same price..
  6. b1bekgyawali said:
    OC will always have its risks, why bother to OC when you can the processors that are already running near is max capability stably without OC and for around the same price..

    With PCIe 3.0 support, official DDR3-1600 support, mild IPC improvements, updated QuickSync, 15-25W lower power at stock or mild OC, etc.

    I personally would not bother with SB either. IB will likely become cheaper as production ramps up and demand levels off.
  7. Ivy Bridge supports USB 3.0 and PCIe 3.0 - Go for the i5-3570k

    Why would you get older technology if the new one is the same price?
  8. Ironslice said:
    Ivy Bridge supports USB 3.0 and PCIe 3.0 - Go for the i5-3570k

    USB 3.0 and SATA-3 are provided by the b77/h77/z75/z77 chipset, a Sandy Bridge can gain "native USB3" by upgrading the motherboard but this would be a somewhat pointless exercise in most cases since most SB motherboards have PCIe USB3 bridges. There is only a slight power efficiency gain (0.5-1W per chip) from eliminating PCIe links.
  9. ok,what about integrated video ? 3000 in 2500k vs 4000 in 3570k ??
  10. Temuka said:
    ok,what about integrated video ? 3000 in 2500k vs 4000 in 3570k ??


    That's a no-brainer. If you have to stay with integrated for a bit, HD 4000 is much better than HD 3000. Still not very good for gaming (since you're getting a GPU, that's not really a problem), but it's a lot better than HD 3000 for Quick Sync as well.
  11. 4000 is better
  12. so as I see IVY has one more + in the face of 4000... I think to take 3570... not sure though...
  13. Not a single person has said, "Go with Sandy." Unless you are going for record overclocks, it makes sense to me to buy Ivy. That's what I did. :)
  14. all right! those two chips are really performance cpu's both are good on thier own places, let say for extreme overclocking you can get the 2500k you can squeeze it as much as you can with a decent cooler, with no worries, on the other hand 3570k has equipped with some awesome features like HD 4000 with less power consumption, the only drawback is that you cannot overclock this chip as the 2500k because it get hot but this is not an issue, max you can overclock 3570k to 4.4ghz which is almost same as the 2500k clocked at 4.8ghz, better you can squeeze it with the stock voltage to get around 4.2ghz same as the 2500k 4.5ghz.
  15. OK,I'll take ivy. I have 1 question though,I heard that once in a 3 months comes out new lot of processors which a bit modernized with previous ones(bugs are fixed,heat problems etc) so maybe I should wait for a new lot which comes now ? (first lot of ivys I think was in march) Or maybe I'm wrong cause not sure about this info,thanks in advance :)
  16. Haswell, no one knows it's features till it comes out leave it for a month for showing off the bench results, for now get the i5 3570k that is all you need.
  17. Temuka said:
    OK,I'll take ivy. I have 1 question though,I heard that once in a 3 months comes out new lot of processors which a bit modernized with previous ones(bugs are fixed,heat problems etc) so maybe I should wait for a new lot which comes now ?

    Companies rarely do respins unless there are major flaws that require fixing or significant yield enhancements since respins cost ASIC companies millions of dollars in engineering, millions of dollars in regression testing simulations, millions in lithography masks, millions in laboratory testing of test production samples, etc. so they cannot afford to go through the whole process for every little bug or do respins just for the heck of it every few months.

    Most major flaws are caught and fixed in pre-production steppings, which is why there rarely is more than one or two further steppings after commercial production begins. If you look at Sandy Bridge, most models have had only one post-commercialization stepping.

    Unless Intel introduced new significant flaws in IB, it is quite possible that there won't be a new stepping at all.
  18. guys,the thing is that I have one IT friend,who is more close to new technologies,components and other similiar stuff. I asked him I need PC only for gaming,so he tells me to buy 3570K + Asus Z77 V-LE,just because 3570K has 4000 integrated video which highly helps discrete GPU and gives nice upgrade for games,motherboard has Virtu MPV and because of that. Simply I don't understand why I can't go with 2500K and for example this mobo : http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z77A-G43.html

    Can someone tell me is which combo is better to take ? (I'll save about 50$ for 2500K + msi mobo,but 50$ doesn't really matter,I just don't like to pay for stuff which I actually can't even use)

    Hope you all understand for what kind of advice I'm asking for,thanks in advance :)
  19. guys,the thing is that I have one IT friend,who is more close to new technologies,components and other similiar stuff. I asked him I need PC only for gaming,so he tells me to buy 3570K + Asus Z77 V-LE,just because 3570K has 4000 integrated video which highly helps discrete GPU and gives nice upgrade for games,motherboard has Virtu MPV and because of that. Simply I don't understand why I can't go with 2500K and for example this mobo : http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z77A-G43.html

    Can someone tell me is which combo is better to take ? (I'll save about 50$ for 2500K + msi mobo,but 50$ doesn't really matter,I just don't like to pay for stuff which I actually can't even use)

    Hope you all understand for what kind of advice I'm asking for,thanks in advance :)
  20. For the OP, if you really want to OC the Ivy Bridge CPU, you can try taking off the heat spreader and replace the thermal paste with a better one. I doubt Intel paid top price for the best thermal paste for their CPUs.
  21. A Bad Day said:
    For the OP, if you really want to OC the Ivy Bridge CPU, you can try taking off the heat spreader and replace the thermal paste with a better one. I doubt Intel paid top price for the best thermal paste for their CPUs.


    this will give a better result, but if all you want is a nice OC then no need
  22. so I'm still at hard choise what to do guys :(
  23. Little OCing: Ivy Bridge, newer features, less power consumption, and slightly better clock efficiency

    OCing without replacing heat spreader's thermal paste: Sandy Bridge

    OCing with replacing heat spreader's thermal paste: Ivy Bridge


    There was a Japanese website that reported major thermal improvements after they replaced the thermal paste for the Ivy Bridge. Even if you can't OC as well as SB, the clock efficiency should be sufficient to compensate for that.
  24. A Bad Day said:
    There was a Japanese website that reported major thermal improvements after they replaced the thermal paste for the Ivy Bridge.


    Yeah... Don't try that, lol.

    It is what it is. If you want high OC's, SB. If you want slightly better per clock performance (and PCIe 3.0), at the expense of OC ability, IB.
  25. and to be honest,is there sense in taking 2500k or 3570k instead of 2400 if there will be no OC?
  26. i say 2500k, i like sandy bridge better and the overclocking potential is higher exponentially. but it's up to you for this one.
  27. Temuka said:
    and to be honest,is there sense in taking 2500k or 3570k instead of 2400 if there will be no OC?


    I would just go with the 3450 if you don't EVER plan to OC. You still get the benefits of Ivy and don't need to worry about heat issues.
  28. I have the 2500k just because the 3570k was not out yet. What are you smoking on mate? Of course the 3570k is better, it's worth the extra money. Go for it! Intel never puts you down, unless you get a celeron cpu, but of course you aren't, go for the 3570k. That's not even a question that should be asked, of course the 3570k is better, even if the temps are higher, who cares just get the hyper 212 evo or some good heatsink to cover it.
  29. mazchazo said:
    I have the 2500k just because the 3570k was not out yet. What are you smoking on mate? Of course the 3570k is better, it's worth the extra money. Go for it! Intel never puts you down, unless you get a celeron cpu, but of course you aren't, go for the 3570k. That's not even a question that should be asked, of course the 3570k is better, even if the temps are higher, who cares just get the hyper 212 evo or some good heatsink to cover it.


    ok buddy,but what about if I'm not going to OC ? what's the point to pay 50-60$ more for 3570k instead of 2400 ? I'm not trying to be smartass,just trying to find out what I REALLY need :)
  30. Temuka said:
    ok buddy,but what about if I'm not going to OC ? what's the point to pay 50-60$ more for 3570k instead of 2400 ? I'm not trying to be smartass,just trying to find out what I REALLY need :)


    Like I said above, if you KNOW you won't ever OC, just get the 3450.
  31. I'll ask differently.
    my config will be:
    i5 3570k
    8gb ram (2x4 1600 9-9-9-24 g.skills)
    asus z77 v-le
    gpu not decided yet (something like 7850 or 570)

    so in this case for future,what are my chances to upgrade ? before this I sold core 2 duo on 775 socket,2gb ram and 8600GT because there was no sence in upgrading something because of prices/performance.

    so will I stick with same thing in future or will I have nice upgrade option like for example: OC-ing i5,adding another 8gb ram,changing gpu or again I will have to change whole system like I did now? thanks guys :)
    what I mean is that will OC-ing give me boost in performance for games in future ?
    I know that's too many questions,but maybe someone has time and wish to help me,thanks again ;)
  32. Yeah, that's a lot of questions, and slightly confusing, lol, but let's break it down.

    Basically, if you get a 3570K, you really won't have any upgrade options past an Ivy i7, but you WILL of course be able to OC to keep up with the times. Will that help in the future? Sure it will.

    After the 3570K, you'll pretty much need a complete platform change like you're doing now, as an Ivy i7 won't really ever be a huge upgrade for gaming purposes. That's not really a problem though because a 3570K will be plenty for quite some time (a 2500K will too, actually, and that's the reason I'm not planning on a CPU upgrade until Skylake, at least).
  33. Since Temuka is concerned about upgrade potential, somebody needs to double-check to see if his mobo (ASUS P8Z77-V LE) will support Xfire or SLI. I don't think it will, but I'm still learning. I would just hate to see something get overlooked.
  34. jordonc said:
    Since Temuka is concerned about upgrade potential, somebody needs to double-check to see if his mobo (ASUS P8Z77-V LE) will support Xfire or SLI. I don't think it will, but I'm still learning. I would just hate to see something get overlooked.


    It's definitely not SLI compatible because the second PCIe x16 slot is 2.0 and only at x4 speed. It's still CF compatible, though.
  35. DJDeCiBeL said:
    It's definitely not SLI compatible because the second PCIe x16 slot is 2.0 and only at x4 speed. It's still CF compatible, though.

    Thanks for verifying that for me. Might be worth considering a different motherboard then.
  36. jordonc said:
    Thanks for verifying that for me. Might be worth considering a different motherboard then.


    you could ask me : ))) thing is this mobo has crossfire and if I add another 5$ there is also LE plus model,which has SLI also,but since I prefer radeon GPU-s I think that's not a problem to take LE,soo what do think fellas?
  37. Temuka said:
    ok buddy,but what about if I'm not going to OC ? what's the point to pay 50-60$ more for 3570k instead of 2400 ? I'm not trying to be smartass,just trying to find out what I REALLY need :)


    I'm going with what you said, the 2500k vs 3570k. BOTH cpu's are used for overclocking. If you aren't overclocking, you shouldn't be looking at the "k" series. I'd get this since you aren't overclocking. Idk why you wouldn't because it's like 10-20 dollars more to get to a k series cpu, which is worth it for gaming pc's.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116505
  38. Temuka said:
    you could ask me : ))) thing is this mobo has crossfire and if I add another 5$ there is also LE plus model,which has SLI also,but since I prefer radeon GPU-s I think that's not a problem to take LE,soo what do think fellas?


    Worth the 5 dollars to get SLI compatible, in the future, you never know if you change or not. 5 dollars extra now, to save you potentially another 120-150 in the future.

    Go with the i5-3550 most definitely, since you won't OC, but future proofing is best to go with the i5-3570k and a descent aftermarket heatsink like the hyper 212 evo.
  39. this weekend's deal for 3570k is 20$ cut:



    I think to take it,what do you think ?
  40. yes, unless the i5 3550 is MUCH cheaper
  41. Robi_g said:
    yes, unless the i5 3550 is MUCH cheaper


    it's only 10$ difference.. I see no reason why I shouldn't go with this deal...
  42. Temuka said:
    it's only 10$ difference.. I see no reason why I shouldn't go with this deal...


    Agreed. 3570K it is!
  43. OK guys,I've bought 3570k and now is cooler's turn.

    I'm thinking of this 3 ones. First one is cooler master 212 evo

    http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-RR-212E-20PK-R2/dp/B005O65JXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340099957&sr=8-1&keywords=212+evo

    second is corsair a70

    http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Series-Performance-Cooler-CAFA70/dp/B003IT6RE8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340098684&sr=8-1&keywords=Corsair+A70

    and the third one and twice the price of first 2 ones is noctua

    http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Heatpipe-Bearing-Cooler-NH-D14/dp/B002VKVZ1A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340099804&sr=8-1&keywords=noctua

    soo,which one is really good for 3570k ? I think noctua is better,but the price is twice high,so I don't know is price/performance is good at this one.

    hope you will help me to choose right one,thanks in advance ;)
  44. Temuka said:
    hope you will help me to choose right one,thanks in advance ;)

    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/imageview.php?image=39719

    Bang-for-buck, the 212 EVO is a clear winner.
  45. Go with the hyper 212 evo, unless you want to do some serious overclocking. Keep in mind the hyper 212 evo fan is MUCH louder than the noctua's. I have a hyper 212 evo, but I replaced the fan with a noctua one... You can do the same. Noctua fans are 20 bucks each, not cheap at all.
  46. mazchazo said:
    Keep in mind the hyper 212 evo fan is MUCH louder than the noctua's.

    I'm using the fan that came with my 212+. Between quiet and normal BIOS settings on my PC, I only see 2C difference at full load so I left it at quiet which translates to 700-1000RPM on my PC and effectively silent with the case panels on.
  47. InvalidError said:
    I'm using the fan that came with my 212+. Between quiet and normal BIOS settings on my PC, I only see 2C difference at full load so I left it at quiet which translates to 700-1000RPM on my PC and effectively silent with the case panels on.


    212+ fan is fine. 212evo has a buzzy sound. very loud at max fan speed.
  48. mazchazo said:
    212+ fan is fine. 212evo has a buzzy sound. very loud at max fan speed.


    Not really (not mine anyway). I have mine in push/pull with a CM Blade Master as the second fan and they're still quieter at 100% than my GPU's 2 fans at 50%. Not at what I would call loud or annoying.

    Plus, the heatpipes on the Evo make paste application nearly impossible to screw up. The same can't be said for the 212+
  49. DJDeCiBeL said:
    Not really (not mine anyway). I have mine in push/pull with a CM Blade Master as the second fan and they're still quieter at 100% than my GPU's 2 fans at 50%. Not at what I would call loud or annoying.

    Plus, the heatpipes on the Evo make paste application nearly impossible to screw up. The same can't be said for the 212+


    Annoying to me because I sleep with my pc on and my case is the HAF 922, has holes everywhere. I think I'm sensitive to sound.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Amazon Sandy Bridge Product