Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need a low profile/low psu card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 28, 2011 6:23:44 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Soon

BUDGET RANGE: $50-150 After Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming [City of Heroes], home theater/watching movies

CURRENT POWER SUPPLY: 240W BTX PSU (upgrading the PSU isn't an option)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: I have an old HP Compaq dc5750 Small Form Factor that I want to upgrade and hook up for home theater/gaming.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com, TigerDirect.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

OVERCLOCKING: No / Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: unknown, this will be connected via HDMI to a 42" Dell W4200 plasma tv in my living room. I can't find specs for this TV that tell the max resolution it will hold.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: This has to be a low profile card as the SFF case will not take a full height card. It also has to have HDMI out to connect to the plasma.

Basically, I have access to a refurbished dc5750 that I want to install Win 7 Home Premium on and place in my living room to watch movies and play City of Heroes on.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2011 6:58:20 PM

Not alot of low pro gaming cards out there.

This 6750 is most likely the most power ful low pro card out there, how ever it would kill your PSU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A 6570 would be a good fit for your system, just make sure the low pro bracket is included.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2011 7:03:47 PM

PS. i did the same thing about a year ago. I dont know what my HP model (DC550)is off the top of my head but it has an old Pentium D Dual 3.6 with a 200watt psu. I put in a 9800gt low pro and 4x1gig sticks of 800mhz ddr2. The thing has been running like a champ for 2 years now. Normally doing netflix and such it only pulls 130watts or so from the wall using a Kill-a-watt. But when playing MW3 on medium at 1080 it pulls 205 watts. I know the PSU will blow sooner or later but in the mean time i having fun.
Score
Related resources
December 29, 2011 2:14:28 PM

pitbull_1973 said:
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Soon

BUDGET RANGE: $50-150 After Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming [City of Heroes], home theater/watching movies

CURRENT POWER SUPPLY: 240W BTX PSU (upgrading the PSU isn't an option)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: I have an old HP Compaq dc5750 Small Form Factor that I want to upgrade and hook up for home theater/gaming.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com, TigerDirect.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

OVERCLOCKING: No / Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: unknown, this will be connected via HDMI to a 42" Dell W4200 plasma tv in my living room. I can't find specs for this TV that tell the max resolution it will hold.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: This has to be a low profile card as the SFF case will not take a full height card. It also has to have HDMI out to connect to the plasma.

Basically, I have access to a refurbished dc5750 that I want to install Win 7 Home Premium on and place in my living room to watch movies and play City of Heroes on.

crosair psu work i figured i take a chance so the tx650 has been running stable for 2 months now
Score
December 29, 2011 2:14:58 PM

crosair psu work i figured i take a chance so the tx650 has been running stable for 2 months now
Score
December 30, 2011 3:09:42 PM

Thanks for these suggestions. I'll let you guys know how it works out.
Score
January 9, 2012 1:17:55 PM

Best answer selected by pitbull_1973.
Score
!