Need a low profile/low psu card

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
December 28, 2011 6:23:44 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Soon

BUDGET RANGE: $50-150 After Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming [City of Heroes], home theater/watching movies

CURRENT POWER SUPPLY: 240W BTX PSU (upgrading the PSU isn't an option)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: I have an old HP Compaq dc5750 Small Form Factor that I want to upgrade and hook up for home theater/gaming.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com, TigerDirect.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

OVERCLOCKING: No / Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: unknown, this will be connected via HDMI to a 42" Dell W4200 plasma tv in my living room. I can't find specs for this TV that tell the max resolution it will hold.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: This has to be a low profile card as the SFF case will not take a full height card. It also has to have HDMI out to connect to the plasma.

Basically, I have access to a refurbished dc5750 that I want to install Win 7 Home Premium on and place in my living room to watch movies and play City of Heroes on.

More about : low profile low psu card

a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2011 7:03:47 PM

PS. i did the same thing about a year ago. I dont know what my HP model (DC550)is off the top of my head but it has an old Pentium D Dual 3.6 with a 200watt psu. I put in a 9800gt low pro and 4x1gig sticks of 800mhz ddr2. The thing has been running like a champ for 2 years now. Normally doing netflix and such it only pulls 130watts or so from the wall using a Kill-a-watt. But when playing MW3 on medium at 1080 it pulls 205 watts. I know the PSU will blow sooner or later but in the mean time i having fun.
Score
Related resources
December 29, 2011 2:14:28 PM

pitbull_1973 said:
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Soon

BUDGET RANGE: $50-150 After Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming [City of Heroes], home theater/watching movies

CURRENT POWER SUPPLY: 240W BTX PSU (upgrading the PSU isn't an option)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: I have an old HP Compaq dc5750 Small Form Factor that I want to upgrade and hook up for home theater/gaming.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com, TigerDirect.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

OVERCLOCKING: No / Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: unknown, this will be connected via HDMI to a 42" Dell W4200 plasma tv in my living room. I can't find specs for this TV that tell the max resolution it will hold.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: This has to be a low profile card as the SFF case will not take a full height card. It also has to have HDMI out to connect to the plasma.

Basically, I have access to a refurbished dc5750 that I want to install Win 7 Home Premium on and place in my living room to watch movies and play City of Heroes on.

crosair psu work i figured i take a chance so the tx650 has been running stable for 2 months now
Score
December 29, 2011 2:14:58 PM

crosair psu work i figured i take a chance so the tx650 has been running stable for 2 months now
Score
December 30, 2011 3:09:42 PM

Thanks for these suggestions. I'll let you guys know how it works out.
Score
January 9, 2012 1:17:55 PM

Best answer selected by pitbull_1973.
Score