Sign in with
Your question

Suggested Water cooling, case and psu

Last response: in Components
June 15, 2012 5:23:37 PM

Hi, I am thinking of upgrading some components in my pc because i want to overclock the cpu so i was thinking about getting a water cooling system for it. I currently have an AM3 motherboard but will probably upgrade that in the next few years to an FM1 board so i need a water cooling system that is compatible with both. Also, sorry i don't know much about it, but can you get water cooling systems that cool both the gpu and the cpu or do you have to get just 2 coolers.

Also i am want to get a new pc case because mine is a bit average at the moment and i want it to have lots of availability for cooling. At the moment i am leaning towards an NZXT Phantom but any other other cases that are around the £100 mark that are good for gaming and are under 540mm high (my desk height) i would consider.

Finally, i am going to need a new psu because simply 400W is not enough. I was thinking about a modular 600W but I'm not sure if i should be better getting a more powerful one so i don't have to do the same thing again when i do further upgrades in the future so any suggestions on psu would be welcome.

Obviously i would like all the components to be from good companies so i get a quality product.

Thanks for reading this, if you have any suggestions please help. i will leave my current pc specs below.

CPU:- Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz
Motherboard:- Gigabyte MA770T-UD3
Ram:- 4x2GB Crucial 1333MHz
GPU:- Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 2GB
PSU:- Corsair CX400
Case:- Cooler Master Elite 335
HDD:- 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
250GB Western Digital Caviar Blue

Regards
June 15, 2012 5:52:26 PM

chris_summers1994 said:
Hi, I am thinking of upgrading some components in my pc because i want to overclock the cpu so i was thinking about getting a water cooling system for it. I currently have an AM3 motherboard but will probably upgrade that in the next few years to an FM1 board so i need a water cooling system that is compatible with both. Also, sorry i don't know much about it, but can you get water cooling systems that cool both the gpu and the cpu or do you have to get just 2 coolers.

Also i am want to get a new pc case because mine is a bit average at the moment and i want it to have lots of availability for cooling. At the moment i am leaning towards an NZXT Phantom but any other other cases that are around the £100 mark that are good for gaming and are under 540mm high (my desk height) i would consider.

Finally, i am going to need a new psu because simply 400W is not enough. I was thinking about a modular 600W but I'm not sure if i should be better getting a more powerful one so i don't have to do the same thing again when i do further upgrades in the future so any suggestions on psu would be welcome.

Obviously i would like all the components to be from good companies so i get a quality product.

Thanks for reading this, if you have any suggestions please help. i will leave my current pc specs below.

CPU:- Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz
Motherboard:- Gigabyte MA770T-UD3
Ram:- 4x2GB Crucial 1333MHz
GPU:- Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 2GB
PSU:- Corsair CX400
Case:- Cooler Master Elite 335
HDD:- 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
250GB Western Digital Caviar Blue

Regards

Are you looking for a custom water cooling system (one that you put together yourself), or a pre-fabricated one, like the Corsair H-Series of products.

On the power supply a 600w would be fine for your config. at the moment, but I would not imagine it could handle SLI or anything higher-end. The most important thing is that it is good quality, so ALWAYS look for brands and invest in a better product. Brands like Antec, Corsair, Cooler Master, Silverstone and XFX are good choices.

Happy to answer any other questions

Dathtom
June 15, 2012 6:20:01 PM

I was looking at a pre-fabricated mainly because i don't really know how to make one myself and what the benefit of doing so would be exactly. Would it be able do handle a crossfire system or would i be better getting a higher power psu?

thanks
Related resources
June 15, 2012 6:25:27 PM

A simple heatsink will outperform the Corsair H series. IF you want watercooling, you will be getting a custom setup! :) 
June 15, 2012 6:44:10 PM

amuffin said:
A simple heatsink will outperform the Corsair H series. IF you want watercooling, you will be getting a custom setup! :) 

H60 is worse than the 212+ while costing twice as much.
H80 is slightly better than 212 EVO while costing twice as much
H100 is slightly worse than Noctua's NH-D14 for similar price.

Depending on circumstances, the H-series may (or not) be a viable/better choice.

But when direct air-coolers can outperform liquid systems for lower prices, it does become difficult to recommend anything liquid-based unless circumstances require it.
June 15, 2012 9:09:56 PM

How much would it cost to make a custom water cooling system to a similar standard as a bought water cooling system and how difficult would this be to make?

Regards
June 15, 2012 10:22:25 PM

If you are not planning on hard OC Hyper 212 EVO should do the trick, if you are planning on a more hard OC get NDH14 the run better than H series and are cheaper.

In reality is quite easy to make your own water cooling system, the problem is that you will need at least 200$, there are some kits to start that you can upgrade bit by bit, start cooling only your CPU and as time past add GPU cooling, extra radiators, etc.
June 16, 2012 1:30:37 PM

Would you recommend buying any of these components second hand for example off ebay? Also i want to oc my cpu to about 4.4GHz would you say that requires the NDH14?

Regards
June 16, 2012 7:07:24 PM

Most phenoms top at around 4ghz regardless.
June 16, 2012 7:22:28 PM

Most,

Moto

*Disclaimer, I have a golden chip and about £800 worth of watercooling**
June 16, 2012 9:09:25 PM

The original W/c wasn't £800, as you know I have expanded several times and the overall cost is conservatively £800, its quite probably more hehe
Processor was my plan B, chosen after the epic Bd release failed to impress the world
in hindsight (as I've mentioned elsewhere) I should have gone 2500k, but then the build would have sold and wouldn't be half the rig it is today, and I wouldn't have got 4.5GHz out of a chip that usually gets bogged down at a lower speed
:) 
and I wouldn't have had have as much fun as I have had over the last couple of years
Moto
!