Sign in with
Your question

First time budget builder problems.

Last response: in Systems
February 28, 2012 5:57:18 PM

Hi everyone! Been a fan of Tom's Hardware for quite some time, but new to the forums, hope I'm positing in the right place.

So I've went together and put together a budget gaming computer, using pretty much all of the components recommended in March 2011's System builder marathon.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/budget-gaming-pc-ph...

The only difference is my mobo is an Asrock 970 extreme3.

I've put together all of the components with no problems at all until I have to boot it up. When I power the build on, everything hums, spins, and comes to life, but it will not post. "No signal to monitor". I've googled the crap out of this, it's a common problem, but none of the solutions work for me. Reseated the RAM. Cables are fine, used multiple monitors, different outlets, no dice. And like I said, all the fans are spinning. I don't have any beeps because the case I bought doesn't come with speakers apparently, so I'm in the dark. I've also just gone through the sticky troubleshooting list. I literally have no idea what to do now. Any advice will be appreciated more than you could ever imagine! Thanks!
February 28, 2012 9:27:28 PM

Did you try a different Video Card? It smells like a faulty GPU to me.
m
l
Related resources
March 14, 2012 9:29:46 PM

Hello all, thanks a lot for the replies- I returned my GPU as faulty, put in the replacement, and still no dice. Mobo speaker is on the way, but will that even help? I feel like this build is a lost cause.
m
l
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2012 9:38:14 PM

LiquidSnake said:
Hello all, thanks a lot for the replies- I returned my GPU as faulty, put in the replacement, and still no dice. Mobo speaker is on the way, but will that even help? I feel like this build is a lost cause.

The speaker helps because if its giving you beep codes, it can help narrow down the causal factor.

I think at this time it would be best if you gave us the full specs of your build.

Edit: Sorry.. i see what you said.. you used the build on that link but a different mobo.. let me look at it for a sec
m
l
March 14, 2012 9:44:21 PM

I think I see a potential problem...

With all due respect to TomShare, I used a power supply calculator and that power supply is woefully inadequate for the hardware. http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx

Your Recommended Minimum Power Supply is 450 Watts

If you're using the Antec 380 watt power supply, the problem may very well be that the system simply isn't getting enough power to boot.

A good rule of thumb is to have a stronger power supply than you need, not just enough or not enough.

Video cards draw the most juice in a system. I'm willing to put a 20 dollar bill on the table to say thats the problem.

Your video card: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

Minimum PSU Wattage Requirement 500 Watt
m
l
March 14, 2012 9:49:58 PM

LiquidSnake said:

Hmmm. Not cool. Mobo speaker should help you get an idea what is not letting your pc to start. You'd either need an extra mobo to narrow the problem, and/or have a technician look at it and make sure your conections to the Mobo are right.

Your Mobo has two power connections from the Power supply. You plugged those right, right?
m
l
March 14, 2012 9:52:56 PM

xchalasx said:
Hmmm. Not cool. Mobo speaker should help you get an idea what is not letting your pc to start. You'd either need an extra mobo to narrow the problem, and/or have a technician look at it and make sure your conections to the Mobo are right.

Your Mobo has two power connections from the Power supply. You plugged those right, right?

Dude its the power supply, I dont know if the people who wrote that Tomshare article he used to build his system or if they actually tested the build, but they really, really screwed up bad telling people to use a 380 watt PSU with that hungry hippo of a video card.

I call BS to that whole article with all their fancy benchmarks and charts.,
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2012 10:02:15 PM

nekulturny said:
Dude its the power supply, I dont know if the people who wrote that Tomshare article he used to build his system or if they actually tested the build, but they really, really screwed up bad telling people to use a 380 watt PSU with that hungry hippo of a video card.

I call BS to that whole article with all their fancy benchmarks and charts.,

It may well be, but certainly not due to lack of power.
m
l
March 14, 2012 10:02:56 PM

nekulturny said:
I think I see a potential problem...

With all due respect to TomShare, I used a power supply calculator and that power supply is woefully inadequate for the hardware. http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx

Your Recommended Minimum Power Supply is 450 Watts

If you're using the Antec 380 watt power supply, the problem may very well be that the system simply isn't getting enough power to boot.

A good rule of thumb is to have a stronger power supply than you need, not just enough or not enough.

Video cards draw the most juice in a system. I'm willing to put a 20 dollar bill on the table to say thats the problem.

Your video card: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

Minimum PSU Wattage Requirement 500 Watt

On personal experience, Asus's PSU tool is heavily padded and almost misleading. I.E. My build is running on a 750 Watt PSU with CPU overclocked 145% and dual 6950s at max software overclock. According to Asus's website, "Your (my) Recommended Minimum Power Supply is 1000 Watts."

Also, again, in my personal experience. The computer should be able to start up and shut itself down when GPU starts getting load (drawing more power). See below for bad power supply simptoms:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/List_four_symptoms_that_indic...

m
l
March 14, 2012 10:10:35 PM

delluser1 said:
It may well be, but certainly not due to lack of power.

I'll take the word of the people who made the component. Sapphire Radeon says 500 watts.

Other guy is right tho on Asus padding (at least in this case- I've seen them vary depending on the build for some reason).. But I checked another one, and it came up with 372.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2012 10:12:43 PM

nekulturny said:
I'll take the word of the people who made the component. Sapphire Radeon says 500 watts.

Your choice
m
l
March 14, 2012 10:13:31 PM

delluser1 said:
Your choice

Its a logical one.
m
l
March 14, 2012 10:17:13 PM

The article says,

"Quiet and efficient, the 380 W EarthWatts 380D Green offers the kind of value and reliability we seek from a PSU. The maximum combined +12 V rating of 28 A is sufficient for this system’s needs, while the single six-pin PCIe power connector can feed our Radeon HD 6850 graphics card without the use of any Molex adapters."

They even have a picture of the final assy. If you honestly think they did not test and benchmark this pc that's your opinion, but I would not go as far as to accuse them of misleading consumers until there are more people with the same problem.
m
l
March 14, 2012 10:21:17 PM

xchalasx said:
The article says,

"Quiet and efficient, the 380 W EarthWatts 380D Green offers the kind of value and reliability we seek from a PSU. The maximum combined +12 V rating of 28 A is sufficient for this system’s needs, while the single six-pin PCIe power connector can feed our Radeon HD 6850 graphics card without the use of any Molex adapters."

They even have a picture of the final assy. If you honestly think they did not test and benchmark this pc that's your opinion, but I would not go as far as to accuse them of misleading consumers until there are more people with the same problem.

Fair enough, but we can at least agree that the manufacturer of the card has a certain power recommendation that this article does not relay to the end user correct? Nor do they follow it in their test build. Right?

We can also agree (I think) that we have a user right now, who is unable to get his computer running?
m
l
March 14, 2012 10:23:47 PM

I just noticed that ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ uses a different chipset than what was reccommended. This Mobo may use more power than the original and, thus, killing the already thight power supply.
m
l
March 14, 2012 10:25:23 PM

xchalasx said:
I just noticed that ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ uses a different chipset than what was reccommended. This Mobo may use more power than the original and, thus, killing the already thight power supply.

Right lol, now we're getting somewhere. :bounce:  <-- I love that little guy.
m
l
March 14, 2012 10:29:10 PM

nekulturny said:
Fair enough, but we can at least agree that the manufacturer of the card has a certain power recommendation that this article does not relay to the end user correct? Nor do they follow it in their test build. Right?

We can also agree (I think) that we have a user right now, who is unable to get his computer running?

I agree with you. To TH defence the GPU manufacturer may be padding the numbers too. But, TH should had added a warning about it.

It is hard to troubleshoot when we can't see how it is all connected and what it actually does, or does not. OP would help us by posting pictures or a short clip to determine that everything is set up correctly.

At this point, my gut feels that it is the PSU/Mobo/connections.
m
l
March 14, 2012 10:34:17 PM

xchalasx said:
I agree with you. To TH defence the GPU manufacturer may be padding the numbers too. But, TH should had added a warning about it.

It is hard to troubleshoot when we can't see how it is all connected and what it actually does, or does not. OP would help us by posting pictures or a short clip to determine that everything is set up correctly.

At this point, my gut feels that it is the PSU/Mobo/connections.

I suppose it very well could be, but... Its kinda hard to screw that up. Its not like the 80s/early 90s where the connectors weren't keyed, the stuff only goes in one way, and that PSU doesn't have a whole lot of connectors. LOL, you should see the mess in my case from all the wires I'm not using.
m
l
March 14, 2012 10:37:32 PM

nekulturny said:
Right lol, now we're getting somewhere. :bounce:  <-- I love that little guy.

Wish we could test it with a lesser video card or on board video to determine if it is the PSU
m
l
March 14, 2012 10:40:07 PM

xchalasx said:
Wish we could test it with a lesser video card or on board video to determine if it is the PSU

Yeah, well. I don't think we're gonna get that lucky. Lets face it, hes got himself a nice little powerhouse if he can get it working, even so, he wouldn't have gone that cheap if he had money for spare test parts.

And I agree, I hate that new motherboards don't have onboard video/monitor connectors.
m
l
March 14, 2012 10:48:43 PM

The numbers are hugely padded, SPCR ran a number of tests on more power hungry configurations than this, an i5 2500k and a 6870 stressed with both prime95 AND Furmark used 237W, so there is no issue with amount of power the PSU can supply. There may however, be other faults with it.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1245-page3.html
m
l
March 14, 2012 11:34:02 PM

Thanks as always for the replies guys, you're all incredible. As for connections, I'm fairly certain all is connected. It is indeed a mess haha, but I have slight experience building.
As for the PSU, I'm a bit miffed at it not really being good enough, but I guess I was naive in just going off of a list.
At this point, I just want it over and done with, I guess I'm going to have to take a hit and buy a better PSU (anyone wanna buy an Antec Earthwatts 380?).
I have a few in mind, but you guys seem to be absolute pros, so do ya'll have decent recommendations for a cheap 500w PSU that goes well with my build?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2012 11:37:13 PM

LiquidSnake said:
Thanks as always for the replies guys, you're all incredible. As for connections, I'm fairly certain all is connected. It is indeed a mess haha, but I have slight experience building.
As for the PSU, I'm a bit miffed at it not really being good enough, but I guess I was naive in just going off of a list.
At this point, I just want it over and done with, I guess I'm going to have to take a hit and buy a better PSU (anyone wanna buy an Antec Earthwatts 380?).
I have a few in mind, but you guys seem to be absolute pros, so do ya'll have decent recommendations for a cheap 500w PSU that goes well with my build?
Thing is, it is good enough.
You want to move up, the 500w will leave more room for upgrades
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
March 14, 2012 11:50:08 PM

LiquidSnake said:

I second Metal Orient. I would wait for the Mobo speaker though. You already ordered it and you lose nothing by waiting for it. At this point many things could be the problem.

Someone else that could lend you a PSU would be perfect.
m
l
March 14, 2012 11:54:22 PM

Or perhaps spend the 15% restocking fee at a local store?

I dont want you to order a PSU and find out you got a DOA Mobo
m
l
March 15, 2012 7:48:47 AM

xchalasx said:
Or perhaps spend the 15% restocking fee at a local store?

I dont want you to order a PSU and find out you got a DOA Mobo

Yea, I can agree with that. I'd wait for the speaker.. Just in case

As far as the other 2 posters saying the PSU is sufficient wattage. I'm sorry, I'm not going to agree with the 380 watt PSU "is good enough". I've done automotive mechanic work for several years, mainly as a hobby, but occasionally for profit and to save money from paying Auto shops too. I've known too many "ricer kids" using zip ties, and a sloppily laid bondo to know that just because something works, doesn't make it a good idea.

The manufacturers recommend certain things for a reason, they have nothing to gain by lying to you by what their product's recommended application specifications are, you can get cute and not believe them within reason, but its asking for trouble.

In addition, (and as a disclaimer to the OP) I am a student, I am quite aways from having my degree. I come to tomshare forums both to help others, but I also learn from here as well, I ask questions myself.

But I'm going to take the word of my tenured professor (Who has been teaching at my college for over a decade), when she states "a computer may not fully be able to boot with an insufficient power supply". I also have a text book in front of me written by Jean Andrews who holds a Doctorate degree who recommends in his/her text that you should use a power supply that's wattage is 30 percent higher than what you expect your system to use".

Now, perhaps if after attempting to boot the computer with 2 different video cards hasn't failed, there may be some better traction (in my mind) to say that the PSU is good enough. And yes, its completely possible at this point, that it could be a different problem causing it not to boot.

Either way, I would advise contacting the merchant you bought it from and seeing if you can return it and purchasing a better PSU that falls in line with the manufacturer's recommendations. This is is good common sense, and a PSU that meets said specifications does not cost substantially more than the one you have.

Thats my opinion, and the best information I can give you as far as background on how I formulated it, again, I'm not an expert, I don't have a degree, and I'm not an electrical engineer.
m
l
March 19, 2012 5:03:15 PM

Welp, thanks again everyone for your replies- got a speaker! Andddd..... no beeps. What the hell? I'm ready to give up.
m
l
March 19, 2012 5:08:07 PM

LiquidSnake said:
Welp, thanks again everyone for your replies- got a speaker! Andddd..... no beeps. What the hell? I'm ready to give up.

Yea, power supply. Do you have a friend or family member with a known good PSU you can borrow? Don't give up, you spent good money on this stuff.
m
l
March 20, 2012 9:29:49 PM

LiquidSnake said:

I spoke to two people at my school about your problem. I go to Hagerstown Community College, for the sake of privacy, I will not name specifically who I spoke with on here, but suffice to say, (insofar as you can believe me). One is an Full tenured Professor in the Information Systems Technology department, the other is a head honcho in the campus IT department, the professor has run her own PC repair business for almost 20 years. Again, as far as you can believe me in my relayance of the information, both of them agree, regardless of anything TomShare, or anonymous claims of forum members or any other benchmarking websites with pretty little graphs, both of the people I spoke with agree that the powersupply for your system configuration is not even close to adequate.

Don't give up on your build, I'd really like to see you post that its working. I know the feeling of investing hundreds of dollars into something in this economy.
m
l
March 27, 2012 6:58:51 PM

Alright guys, I finally conjured up the cash to get another power supply- a Thermaltake try 420 (or 30?) I know it's not 500, but it was all they had and all I had the money for. Is that my mistake right there? Because the damn thing still isn't working.
m
l
March 27, 2012 7:35:30 PM

LiquidSnake said:
Alright guys, I finally conjured up the cash to get another power supply- a Thermaltake try 420 (or 30?) I know it's not 500, but it was all they had and all I had the money for. Is that my mistake right there? Because the damn thing still isn't working.

You're kidding? *sigh*. RMA the motherboard and CPU then, shouldn't cost you anything if you bought from Newegg or Tigerdirect. I've RMA'd stuff to both of them and they even paid the shipping back to them. I'm sorry the PSU didn't resolve the issue.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 27, 2012 7:38:03 PM

Had the same thing happen to my old computer. All the fans spun, HDD spun, powers on, no monitor signal. Tried everything except swapping boards. I found a guy online who had the same old AM2 board I had and swapped them and it fired right up like normal. Sounds like if you re-seated everything and checked your connections, and lastly bought a new PSU, than its the board itself. :( 

It was in my case.
m
l
March 27, 2012 7:40:07 PM

Pezcore27 said:
Had the same thing happen to my old computer. All the fans spun, HDD spun, powers on, no monitor signal. Tried everything except swapping boards. I found a guy online who had the same old AM2 board I had and swapped them and it fired right up like normal. Sounds like if you re-seated everything and checked your connections, and lastly bought a new PSU, than its the board itself. :( 

It was in my case.

Yea, and I doubt they'll give him any trouble returning the CPU either, I dropped one on the table and spent hours adjusting the pins on it with the purpose of RMA'ing it.. and a couple of em I couldn't get quite right, without breaking it and Newegg didn't even blink. I'd return it too for the sake of expediency.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 27, 2012 7:42:34 PM

I didn't RMA my board because the system was 5 years old and I didn't feel like spending the time/effort to get it fixed when in a month I was planning on building a new system anyway. I just upgraded sooner than I hoped too :) 

Besides the guy from Craigslist sold me that old AM2 Gigabyte board I needed to try for like $5. It works and I gave it to my 7yr old cousin for an internet machine.
m
l
March 27, 2012 7:47:06 PM

Pretty nice deal, I'm still working on acquiring my "spare diagnostic" parts collection.
m
l
March 30, 2012 5:06:00 PM

What a horror story. I've already RMAed the board, this is my second one. And will I be able to return the CPU? I bought it straight from Newegg almost 2 months ago.
m
l
March 30, 2012 5:17:18 PM

LiquidSnake said:
What a horror story. I've already RMAed the board, this is my second one. And will I be able to return the CPU? I bought it straight from Newegg almost 2 months ago.

Probably not to Newegg, but you can ask. You might have to go direct to AMD.
m
l
March 30, 2012 6:08:19 PM

Direct to AMD- they don't offer anything, it was (obviously) purchased OEM from Newegg, just the processor alone. So am I screwed in this respect?
m
l
March 30, 2012 6:16:38 PM

LiquidSnake said:
Direct to AMD- they don't offer anything, it was (obviously) purchased OEM from Newegg, just the processor alone. So am I screwed in this respect?

I believe you are unfortunately, unless you can convince Newegg somehow that due to waiting on RMA'd parts to diagnose the problem you have exceeded the 30 day return. (Ask for a supervisor and see if they will work with you)
m
l
April 13, 2012 1:21:01 AM

Okay, so long story short I now have a bunch of money to use towards this damn thing. Should I just buy a bunch of new/better parts to swap out/return and get this thing to work and? Which specific parts should I buy? I guess power supply and CPU?
m
l
April 13, 2012 1:34:16 AM

LiquidSnake said:
Okay, so long story short I now have a bunch of money to use towards this damn thing. Should I just buy a bunch of new/better parts to swap out/return and get this thing to work and? Which specific parts should I buy? I guess power supply and CPU?

I'd still want to know what the hell is wrong with this build lol. You have warranties on all of these parts, Somethings gotta give.
m
l
!