problem with video/picture viewers (like ACDSee)

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 2, 2005 11:40:02 AM

The problem is that all three programs I have tried of this type,
ACDSee, cam2pc, and PhotoExplorer all stop responding very
frequently. Say, 1 one of every 2 times I use them. These are
the only programs that regularly give me any kind of trouble. It
seems to be related to video playback, or maybe when viewing
thumbnails of folders with multiple videos. I'm thinking these
programs use some sort of built-n viewer to view multiple videos (like
Windows Explorer itself does). And that built-in ability is somehow
corrupt, causing all programs of this type to crash.

Can anyone think of a solution other than reinstalling Windows?
I've tried reinstalling the programs themselves, and reinstalling
all of my video codecs. Not sure what else I can do. The last
time I reinstalled Windows, it took me days to get everything back
the way I wanted...

I'm using Windows XP, 512MB of RAM, 1.3Ghz CeleronI plenty
of hard drive space.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 11:40:03 AM

Uninstal, re-install latest Directx, also latest versions of these
programs. maybe kill off all the codecs also and reinstal them one by
one.. many of these viewers use the *old* version of mediaplayer - I
forget it's filename, but google (and google-groups) the problem and
you should find more.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 2:31:17 AM

"Trevor Smithson" <trevor_smithson@yahoo.com> schrieb
> I'm thinking these
> programs use some sort of built-n viewer to view multiple videos (like
> Windows Explorer itself does). And that built-in ability is somehow
> corrupt, causing all programs of this type to crash.
There are two ways to display the videos: using the VideoForWindows-API or
DirectX.
VFW also known as ActiveMovie is pretty old but good enough for some AVI
formats.
DirectX is a modern solution which uses codecs to do the actual decoding.
Once a codec is registered (for example the motion video codec used for some
..MOV formats), you can use this format.
For your problem I don't think you can fix anything besides reseting the
codec installation with a windows reinstall.
To get to the source of the problem, you need a solid scenario to reproduce
the problem. A random crash is very difficult to debug. Once you have a
clear repro step I recommend to contact the vendor and ask for help.
I think you have a corrupted movie file in one of your folder. The codec
starts loading, chokes on, maybe corrupt the memory and this can get
undetected for some time until it bails out ;)
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 2:23:06 PM

Well I couldn't find a way to reinstall DirectX, but I did go through
the troubleshooter. It suggested I go into the advanced tab and
change the DirectX refresh rate. I changed to to 85, the same as
my monitor.

Hopefully that will help.