Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

First real gaming laptop, graphics questions

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 28, 2012 7:19:15 PM

Okay, I'm completely new at this, and looking to get a gaming computer, and I'm pretty set on the Alienware M14x. I've seen a few questions about this, but I can't find exactly the answers I'm looking for.
The big question: Should I get 1.5 gb or 3 gb of graphics? They're both DDR3, and both use the same GPU as far as I know.

1.5GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M using NVIDIA Optimus™
vs.
3.0GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M using NVIDIA Optimus™

My question is, I want to be able to play games like Skyrim (with mods), Deus Ex: HR, or Civ V at max or near max settings. Will the 1.5 give me any big limitations there?

Also, I'm wondering if I'll see a big impact on performance between these processors.

Intel® Core™ i5 2430M (2.4GHz,3.0GHz,with Turbo Boost, 3MB Cache)
vs.
Intel® Core™ i7 2670QM (2.2GHz,3.1GHz,w/Turbo Boost, 6MB Cache)

Ideally I'd like to use the laptop to a modest extent for Premier or Cubase as well, maybe recording some games.

And finally, RAM... idk much about these things, but will there be any kind of lag (on any program) with 4 gb vs 6gb vs 8gb?

Also, will it be worth it to over-calculate in anticipation of the future?

Thanks!
February 29, 2012 12:49:44 AM

traumaiv said:
4gb is enough for gaming. for gaming the core i5 vs i7 sees no difference. the more gig is for higher resoltions. but the 555m is not the best for graphics in a laptop id recommend this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or if you have the money

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



Ok, thanks on the processors, I'm probably going to go with the i5 then to keep the price down. I want to keep it under $1300.

Will there be a huge difference between the GTX 570M and the 555M? The model I was looking at doesn't offer any other graphics options.

I'm not worried about getting something future proof or anything, but I essentially want the best I can afford.

Thanks
m
0
l
Related resources
February 29, 2012 1:53:01 AM

BsmithC said:
Ok, thanks on the processors, I'm probably going to go with the i5 then to keep the price down. I want to keep it under $1300.

Will there be a huge difference between the GTX 570M and the 555M? The model I was looking at doesn't offer any other graphics options.

I'm not worried about getting something future proof or anything, but I essentially want the best I can afford.

Thanks

Don't listen to what the guy said. For a lack of better words what he said was the most retarded thing I've seen in a while. A higher ghz processor is not for higher resolutions unless he was talking about the gpu gig in which case he's right but still wrong with the i5 i7 debate. If we were talking about desktop cpus then again he would be correct for the most part but for laptops he's wrong. The i7 will be better then the i5 in a laptop because its a true quad core where as the i5 is not and a lot of games do not like hyperthreading.

Get an i7 and get a better gpu then the 555m. The laptops he listed are good and id get the one with the 570m its much better then the5555m.

When it comes to skyrim though it doesn't matter what gpu you have your not going to play at max settings. You need aleast a 4 ghz sandy bridge cpu to max skyrim
m
0
l
March 3, 2012 1:47:12 AM

cbrunnem said:
Don't listen to what the guy said. For a lack of better words what he said was the most retarded thing I've seen in a while. A higher ghz processor is not for higher resolutions unless he was talking about the gpu gig in which case he's right but still wrong with the i5 i7 debate. If we were talking about desktop cpus then again he would be correct for the most part but for laptops he's wrong. The i7 will be better then the i5 in a laptop because its a true quad core where as the i5 is not and a lot of games do not like hyperthreading.

Get an i7 and get a better gpu then the 555m. The laptops he listed are good and id get the one with the 570m its much better then the5555m.

When it comes to skyrim though it doesn't matter what gpu you have your not going to play at max settings. You need aleast a 4 ghz sandy bridge cpu to max skyrim



Okay, I was wondering about the cpu, and from playing skyrim on my current laptop, i know cpu matters a lot; I was surprised it even ran without a dedicated video card. I heard that skyrim and some other games (maybe bf3? idk) can't make use of all 4 cores anyway...?

I also heard that msi has some issues with build quality, overheating and stuff in their laptops. Any credibility to this?

thanks :) 
m
0
l

Best solution

March 3, 2012 3:42:46 AM

BsmithC said:
Okay, I was wondering about the cpu, and from playing skyrim on my current laptop, i know cpu matters a lot; I was surprised it even ran without a dedicated video card. I heard that skyrim and some other games (maybe bf3? idk) can't make use of all 4 cores anyway...?

I also heard that msi has some issues with build quality, overheating and stuff in their laptops. Any credibility to this?

thanks :) 


BF3 will use atleast 4 cores. i heard somewhere that it will use up to 8??? but im sure it will use 4. if someone tell you cpu doesnt matter in BF3 they are talking about single player probably because it is solely gpu bound. skyrim on the other hand is extremely cpu bound. it really doesnt take that much in the way of gpu power to max the game. i can see you with a 570m and an i7 2670qm getting good fps on high in skyrim.... maybe some ultra mixed in.

you really should get a true quad core if your going to be gaming on it. i5 compared to i7 is not even close in a laptop.

i have heard just about the opposite about msi. if you get a sandy bridge cpu though(2670 2770 etc) there should be no concerns in regards to overheating. they run extremely cool comparatively and can run up to 95*c safely.
Share
March 3, 2012 7:01:18 PM

Best answer selected by BsmithC.
m
0
l
!