Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

600 Dollar Range gaming Pc compatibility check

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 28, 2012 2:31:09 AM

I am planning on building (for the first time) my own computer. (around 600 bucks) I am fairly new to the concept and need to check the compatibility and practicality (do i really need this..?) of the parts i want to get for the type of games i will be playing. I am planning on running paradox (crusader kings 2), total war, civ 5, maybe some sims 3 games. I also want my system to be able to play games coming out that are in that same genre for atleast the next 2 years. any tips, comments, and advice would be greatly appreciated.

CPU AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz
Mobo ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
Video Card Asus Radeon HD 6770 1gig
HDD Samsung Spinpoint 500 GB 7200 Rpm 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
PSU Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-400 400W
Case COOLER MASTER HAF 912
Wireless NC Rosewill RNX G300 LX
February 28, 2012 2:50:45 AM

For gaming, go for Intel. For CPU intensive RTS games, the Core i3 2100 has a massive advantage over ANY AMD CPU.

Check the $600 build in my sig.
Related resources
February 28, 2012 4:16:38 AM

Looks like a bot^
February 28, 2012 6:02:05 AM

Zero_ said:
For gaming, go for Intel. For CPU intensive RTS games, the Core i3 2100 has a massive advantage over ANY AMD CPU.

Check the $600 build in my sig.


Actually , no
Here
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-4100-core-i3-210...
the FX 4100 matches the performance of the i3 2100 quite closely

Its also usually cheaper and so are quality motherboards you might want to keep and upgrade.
Once you factor in the ability to OC the FX its clearly a better deal
February 28, 2012 6:15:39 AM

You also need to look at upgrade path^^i3 has a much better upgrade path.
February 28, 2012 6:38:51 AM

Outlander_04 said:
Actually , no
Here
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-4100-core-i3-210...
the FX 4100 matches the performance of the i3 2100 quite closely

Its also usually cheaper and so are quality motherboards you might want to keep and upgrade.
Once you factor in the ability to OC the FX its clearly a better deal


Check out the only RTS in that benchmark suite.
February 28, 2012 3:42:15 PM

amuffin said:
You also need to look at upgrade path^^i3 has a much better upgrade path.


no it doesnt .
A budget intel rig will have to be built with an H61 mb . That will be a limitation for the entire life cycle of the computer .

The AMD by contrast can be upgraded for another generation [ same as the intel ] to next gen Piledriver CPU's . Their performance will be better , and the power consumption will be less .
February 28, 2012 4:58:57 PM

Outlander_04 said:
no it doesnt .
A budget intel rig will have to be built with an H61 mb . That will be a limitation for the entire life cycle of the computer .

The AMD by contrast can be upgraded for another generation [ same as the intel ] to next gen Piledriver CPU's . Their performance will be better , and the power consumption will be less .


As far I know Piledriver WON'T be using the same socket as Bulldozer. Unlike the Ivybridge that can use the H67/P67 and Z68 chipsets from Sandybridge.
And concerning the upgrade path, sticking a i3-2100 (the mid-low tier from sandybridge) still enables you for all the i5, i7 from sandybridge and the upcoming ivybridge.

Concerning about the performance and power consumption. Intel have the upper hand in both categories. As AMD, Intel will too improve the performance and the power consumption.

I do realize that FX-4100 isn't a bad CPU.. it's just that i3-2100 is faster and consumes less power (and of course more expensive).

EDIT: Getting this combo Intel Core i3-2120 + Z68 Motherboard - $215,98
Enables you with a Z68 motherboard, an even faster CPU, SLI/Crossfire support.
February 28, 2012 5:02:00 PM

Zero_ said:
For gaming, go for Intel. For CPU intensive RTS games, the Core i3 2100 has a massive advantage over ANY AMD CPU.

Check the $600 build in my sig.



Hi :) 

Again not true....

1100T ....

All the best Brett :) 
February 28, 2012 8:13:31 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
February 29, 2012 12:50:15 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Again not true....

1100T ....

All the best Brett :) 


Hi,

Show me one available for sale...

All the best :) 
February 29, 2012 12:57:03 AM

To much stuff going on in this thread, but if you are still keeping up to it, that build is great. Just get 4GB of DDR3. 8 is not needed and you can save over twenty bucks.
!