Is 430w enough???

Tyharrell

Honorable
May 10, 2012

I have everything build already. The psu that i have only has 3 four pin power things and my graphic card I think needs four.

Please know that I am a complete noob this is my first build everything is put together and plugged in except the G card.

I hope i did not mess up by getting the wrong psu!

InvalidError

Titan
The GTX560 has a 150W TDP and the CPU+MoBo+RAM+etc. is typically less than 150W so a _good_ 430W PSU would be sufficient.

The problem is that crappy 400W PSUs often fail to deliver even 300W continuous power. Some hardware review sites occasionally review random generic PSUs they would not normally look at and report that the PSUs blew up or otherwise failed during testing.

If your 430W PSU is a $20 affair from a no-name brand, you might be in trouble. If it is from Seasonic, from Antec's EarthWatt series or other reputable model series from other vendors, 430W should be more than enough.

Since PSUs are typically most efficient around 50% load, you should look at models in the 550-650W range rated for 80+ Bronze if efficiency matters to you.

Any form of 80+ certification is usually a decent indicator of reasonably good quality design.

Tyharrell

Honorable
May 10, 2012

It is a corsair cx430 and it says its 80 plus certified.

My biggest problem is that my graphic card has 4 different 3 prong/pin(whatever you call them) and my psu only has 3 to plug in. I dont know if it really matters or not but im to scared to just try I dont know what will happen if something did go wrong.

InvalidError

Titan

The CX430 should have a "6+2" PCIe power cable, this would be the one you want to connect to the GTX560 if it has a 8-pin power header. Otherwise you will have to use the 6-pin part of the PCIe cable in one of the card's power headers and use a Molex-to-PCIe adapter for the second one.

If you plug only one, the card may still work but with reduced performance.

Tyharrell

Honorable
May 10, 2012
I ended up getting full power to the card but now I have a new problem on my hands. When i went to power it up the lights came on all the fans started spinning but it will only hold power for about a second. I think I will just have to wait till monday to take it in the the computer store to see if they can find the problem. I was hoping i wasnt going to have to do that but I already had some trouble putting it together and had to get help from a friend so I dont really wont to go and take it all apart to see whats going on. I might not be able to put it back together correctly and I wouldnt really know what to look for anyway.