Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Worth Switching to Intel?

Last response: in CPUs
June 15, 2012 10:17:42 PM

Hey all.
So I'm kind of bored with my current system, kicking around the idea of buying a new motherboard and cpu. Thinking about going to a Z77, i5 3570k rig and keeping my current ram/psu/vcard/hd.
I've been using AMD for years and years, but recently have decided to get onboard the i5 bandwagon.

My current system is an Asus Sabertooth 990fx, AMD 975 phenom2. So in terms of raw mhz, it'd be a sidegrade at best. But again, just bored and thought it'd be kind of fun to switch.

The pieces I'll still use are 8gb Corsair DDR1600 1.5, Sapphire 7950 OC edition, WD 500gb SATA6 hd and a Corsair 650watt PSU.
To recap.
Sabertooth 990fx --> some mid range Z77
AMD 975 --> i5 3750k

So by simply upgrading motherboard&cpu, will there be a noticeable improvement in gaming/all around usage? I would be interested in a mild overclock, maybe get the ivy bridge to around 4ghz with an aftermarket cooler, like the 212 Evo or whatever.
I just bought my current hardware in February, so it's not really old exactly.. again, just bored and curious if it'd be worth going to an i5 right now.
Thanks for any input! =)

More about : worth switching intel

a c 283 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 10:59:26 PM

My opinion is just stay with what you have, especially with the build being so new. A 3570K would be an upgrade, but I doubt you would really "feel" it that much in everyday usage. More FPS in games with the 3570K, but I'm pretty sure you're doing OK on that front as it is, lol.
a c 134 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 11:07:43 PM

Yeah you'll get more fps but you really won't see that difference except in benchmarks. For gaming you dont need to upgrade.
I know how you feel though. I jumped on the phenomiix6 when it came out and now I'm dying to go intel i7 3930k x6 and though it'd help alot with my video work it wouldnt do squat for my gaming except more fps which you cant really see a difference once your above like 45fps.
Related resources
June 15, 2012 11:30:34 PM

Cool, yea the games I play I'm doing alright in right now anyway. Maybe kicking around the idea of getting an SSD instead?
a c 283 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 11:31:41 PM

Absolutely, that would be a very nice upgrade.

Best solution

June 16, 2012 2:10:46 AM

uber_m0j0 said:
Hey all.
So I'm kind of bored with my current system, kicking around the idea of buying a new motherboard and cpu. Thinking about going to a Z77, i5 3570k rig and keeping my current ram/psu/vcard/hd.
I've been using AMD for years and years, but recently have decided to get onboard the i5 bandwagon.

My current system is an Asus Sabertooth 990fx, AMD 975 phenom2. So in terms of raw mhz, it'd be a sidegrade at best. But again, just bored and thought it'd be kind of fun to switch.

The pieces I'll still use are 8gb Corsair DDR1600 1.5, Sapphire 7950 OC edition, WD 500gb SATA6 hd and a Corsair 650watt PSU.
To recap.
Sabertooth 990fx --> some mid range Z77
AMD 975 --> i5 3750k

So by simply upgrading motherboard&cpu, will there be a noticeable improvement in gaming/all around usage? I would be interested in a mild overclock, maybe get the ivy bridge to around 4ghz with an aftermarket cooler, like the 212 Evo or whatever.
I just bought my current hardware in February, so it's not really old exactly.. again, just bored and curious if it'd be worth going to an i5 right now.
Thanks for any input! =)

Nope, for the Current gaming you will not have noticeable improvement that you can see. (As mentioned by someone before just benchmark improvements)
All around usage?? video editing and other heavy process might get better and be noticeable but depends on what other purpose you use the PC for..

I wouldn't suggest to overclock a Ivy-bridge, unless you have personal experience Overclocking or want to do it for other purpose as the processor's gets unstable rapidly and you would be able to overclock ivy-bridge very high than its normal state and keep it stable (Might just be for me and might work out for you`didnt work out for me as much`)

Your gaming Setup is still new and Will handle all the games that are on the market at the moment. So i would suggest you to delay it as i am personally doing the same and waiting till the new next gen "game engines" start rolling out

good luck on whatever you decide..

June 16, 2012 3:34:29 AM

Best answer selected by uber_m0j0.
!