What is ciphering

Tags:
Last response: in Technologies
Share
June 10, 2005 8:13:18 AM

Can any one please explain What is ciphering and why is it required?
Thanks
With warm regards,
DD

More about : ciphering

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 10:53:42 AM

That'a what Jethro Bodine did when asked how old he was!

"dd" <duttdharm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Can any one please explain What is ciphering and why is it required?
> Thanks
> With warm regards,
> DD

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 11:49:46 PM

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 06:53:42 -0500, "dg" <dgaddes1@comcast.net> wrote:

>That'a what Jethro Bodine did when asked how old he was!
>
>"dd" <duttdharm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Can any one please explain What is ciphering and why is it required?
>> Thanks
>> With warm regards,
>> DD

The data being transmitted from the BTS to the Phone and back is
enciphered. This is to prevent 'snoopers' from capturing the ID. In
the days of AMPS phones, it was aquite easy to acquire IMEI numbers
right off the air, clone them, and start making calls which are
charged to the original owner. This lead to authentication, and in
GSM, the ID details from the SIM, not being transmitted over the air.

It also prevents people from simplyh listening to cell phone
converations, as could easily be done with AMPS phones.

The ciphering is nothing to get overly excited about. I figure the NSA
could break the codes in a second or two, but it will certain
discourage the average listener from getting anywhere!
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 1:55:50 PM

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 19:49:46 -0700, matt weber <mattheww50@cox.net>
wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 06:53:42 -0500, "dg" <dgaddes1@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>That'a what Jethro Bodine did when asked how old he was!
>>
>>"dd" <duttdharm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Can any one please explain What is ciphering and why is it required?
>>> Thanks
>>> With warm regards,
>>> DD
>>>

>The data being transmitted from the BTS to the Phone and back is
>enciphered. This is to prevent 'snoopers' from capturing the ID. In
>the days of AMPS phones, it was aquite easy to acquire IMEI numbers
>right off the air, clone them, and start making calls which are
>charged to the original owner. This lead to authentication, and in
>GSM, the ID details from the SIM, not being transmitted over the air.
>
>It also prevents people from simplyh listening to cell phone
>converations, as could easily be done with AMPS phones.
>
>The ciphering is nothing to get overly excited about. I figure the NSA
>could break the codes in a second or two, but it will certain
>discourage the average listener from getting anywhere!

You may find this link of interest:

http://www.mobileshop.org/howitworks/encryption.htm

--

Regards