Sign in with
Your question
Closed

X4 unlocked to x6 after overclock now comp doesnt load

Last response: in CPUs
June 16, 2012 1:00:25 AM

I have a biostar A770E3 motherboard and a AMD II x4 960t black cpu. I tried to overclock the cpu and somehow the cores got unlocked to the x6. I need to know how to get the cpu back to a x4 because with the x6 it stops loading windows at the windows loading screen ( when the flag does a twirl before entering password ). I am running win 7 home. When I first bought this cpu I tried unlocking the extra cores and it did the same thing but I dont remember how I got it back to a x4. any help is appreciated.
Jim
a c 184 à CPUs
a c 149 K Overclocking
June 16, 2012 1:05:27 AM

Boot into Bios and revert back.
June 16, 2012 1:17:50 AM

I did and manually set to a x4 and on very first loading screen where u can go into bios it is showing a x4 but it sometimes reverts back to x6. is there a way to reset the board to factory defaults? I reset the overclock back to origonal settings so only thing wrong is the x6. and i dont know if its the last two cores the x4 uses. could it be a different combo of cores if one or two are actually unusable maybe..
Related resources
a c 184 à CPUs
a c 149 K Overclocking
June 16, 2012 1:18:43 AM

Reset the CMOS Battery. This probably is the reason why AMD locked those cores.
June 16, 2012 1:20:24 AM

How do I do the reset?

Best solution

June 16, 2012 1:29:23 AM

Remove the CMOS battery From your Mother board For about 5-10 Mins. This should usually reset All the BIOS/hardware settings to default, any BIOS Settings and passwords will be Set back to factory default.
(Damn they has stopped calling them BIOS anymore i am getting too old for this)
June 16, 2012 1:35:05 AM

Ok i found the jumper instructions in the MB manual. damn i had to read lol. It started with a blue screen but after hard shutdown and restart the comp is now up and running. :)  but i really did want to have the overclock ... ah well its still a decent comp without the OC. thanks for the help guys
Jim
June 16, 2012 1:35:44 AM

Best answer selected by chp_wrench.
a c 134 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 16, 2012 1:46:06 AM

extra cores isnt an overclock, its an unlock. Overclock means changing the cpu's frequency to a higher one. If i rember right, all 960t's were a black edition so all you need to do is go into the Bios and change the cpu multiplier to a higher value. If you have a good aftermarket cpu cooler you can probably hit 3.8ghz.
June 16, 2012 1:55:22 AM

I went to 4 ghz. follwing a youtube video. but it somehow unlocked the cores also. anyhow the comp is up an running but the clock shows it to be wed 12:24 am 2010. I cant do a windows update it keeps failing and google chrome wont connect to the internet. internet explorer does. do i need to update the bios now?
June 16, 2012 1:57:17 AM

chp_wrench said:
Ok i found the jumper instructions in the MB manual. damn i had to read lol. It started with a blue screen but after hard shutdown and restart the comp is now up and running. :)  but i really did want to have the overclock ... ah well its still a decent comp without the OC. thanks for the help guys
Jim

What you tryed to do here was not overclock. you just made the processor think it had 6 cores when it only had 4, 2 were non existent causing it to crash/fail. (you are lucky nothing got damaged)(normally overclocking is just increasing the clock speed of the processors.)

i suggest you put a question in overclocks forum here in toms-hardware they should be able to help you.. Also provide with information of all your components.
They will suggest how much you can overclock your components without problem and also how to do it properly.

Sry, I would personally help but i am more Intel guy, and i wouldn't take a risk on someone's equipment. i have never owned a AMD processor
June 16, 2012 2:08:21 AM

this is what i did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiZhMs7G_w8 after i did this step by step the cores unlocked. I just need to know now what do i do update bios or something else cause the update bios screen at biostar-usa.com says this can destroy the MB
June 16, 2012 2:23:03 AM

ok i went into bios and set the time and date manually. now i can use windows update. thx for all your help
Jim
June 16, 2012 2:23:12 AM

wow that was a crappy video..
He is working with a "AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz" that is a 6 cores processor where as yours is a X4 (4 cores)..

I do suggest you pop a question in overclocks forum and listen to what they have to say, this doesn't mean you actually have to overclock just understand more about it for future reference and i i do suggest you research quite a lot more and not just copy a video.. (That's what i did for my first time as well :p )
December 23, 2012 6:05:20 PM

That's a 3.0 GHz chip and you tried to go straight to 4ghz on the first try....that's why windows wont load.

you need to try bumping the multiplier in small increments.....when it wont boot....back off....then make sure its stable....if the computer freezes....back off some more....then play with your CPU fan settings if its not already set to max.

sometimes this CPU works well with the same overclock and CPU core unlock.

now if the cores unlock no matter what you do....just work with it...bump up the speed until you can get a max stable overclock....even though you dont want 6 cores enabled...wouldn't you want a higher clock speed?

just don't go for 4ghz on the first try.

i have an fx-8120 which i have gotten to run stable at 4.1ghz STABLE with no voltage modifications.....so just take baby steps.
!