raph662

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Hello everyone,

I am writing here because I am in need of some help, here's the deal:

I am looking to upgrade my CPU, as I'm still running a dual-core to a quad-core. However, I do not wish to have to replace my mobo and what not, as I am saving up for a new system. However, I have been running into a few performance issues with my computer lately. I would like to be able to stream a few games, and well, to stream requires a lot of CPU power, and my two little cores are just not up for the task, so I ask, which is the better CPU for a LGA 775 socket?

I was originally looking at the Intel Q9550, but I read around the internet and found that the Q6600 is very overcloackable. So here is my question, which is the best CPU? Is it worth the extra money getting the Q9550 or should I save some green and go for the Q6600 or even the Q6700? I have found Q6600s running for around $80, and the Q9550 for around $200. Would I be seeing a lot of difference between? If I chose to go with the Q6600, what exactly would I need to OC it, and most importantly, am I able to do it on my current mobo?

If you guys have any better options, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for the help guys, I really appreciate it!

~Raph

Here's is my current specs:

NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz

raph662

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
That was my line of reasoning. However, even though this computer is around its 4th year, it still runs everything and every game I play on high, which is why I have not upgraded it yet. The only limitations I found currently, is my CPU. I plan on keeping this until I can no longer run what I want. Do you know if I need anything special for OCing the Q6600?

Also, is the difference in FSP from the Q6600 to the Q9550 that big of a difference? (1333 to 1000)