Better performance for SWTOR/Graphics card?

ermdog2411

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Windows 7 64 bit
AMD Athlon II x4 630 Processor 2.80 GHz
4GB Ram
XFX ATI Radeon HD 6570 1GB
Desktop
430watt PSU

I had an old Radeon 4350 graphics card and tried playing Star Wars The Old Repuplic on it and it was not playable, lag city. I went and got a new Radeon 6570 and new PSU figuring that would solve the problem, but it didn't entirely. I am now able to play the game on low everything, but i do get low fps when in high populated places or in groups and I can't play like that.

I'm thinking I need a way better graphics card to solve this problem, but I am not sure if my processor or Ram has anything to do with it. I was gonna take my graphics card back and dish out on a really expensive card, but wanted to get an experts opinion first. TY

sandwich47

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I have similar issues w/ SWTOR.

In the city I average ~9-10 FPS, fluctuating from ~6-30 FPS. I cannot cope with this. See below.

In the boonies I get ok framerates (~30-60 FPS w/ vsync). I run vsync because without it it runs in a playable manner but its too choppy for me. I'm talking same-ish framerates, just a wider range, say ~20-80 FPS, but it literally will freeze on several frames in a given second, even if its only for 2-3 frames. What really bugs me is how choppy it runs even with Vsync enabled. I still lose several frames every few seconds. Can't cope with this either. See below.

I have also had cooling issues with my gpu. I mean I replaced the thermal paste; removed heatsink cover and jerry-rigged an induction tube w/ cardboard and put another case fan directly below the gpu, blowing fresh air directly from exterior of case onto gpu heatsink synergistically with gpu heatsink fan. This only dropped temp from ~150 F to ~140 F. It has gotten to the point where I have removed both sides of my case and have a box fan on full blast just inches from gpu heatsink. Now its running at ~135 F.

So last night as i'm falling asleep I decide, "you know what, eff it. I'm doing this." So i went on newegg and bought:
(a) - 2 Radeon 5750's w/ GDDR5 and 1GB VRAM each with which to run CrossFireX;
(b) - Phenom II X4 960T (3.0 GHz) CPU which is quad core with 2 more cores unlockable and is reported by the reviewers at newegg to run like a champ when its OC'd to 4.2Ghz. I guess overclocking it will be my ace in the hole should all this new hardware not solve my issue; which is why i also bought
(c) - 3 more case fans to fill all the slots on my case, and
(d) - A CPU water cooling unit

i should get this stuff on the ninth and i'll let you know if it works after i get some conclusive results.

sandwich47

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Stuff came in.

Fried one of the graphics cards, but getting it rma'd. Right now running the Phenom II X4 960T w/ 5 cores (6th core is non-functional) @ 3.7 Ghz from 3.0, the NB speed @ 2600 from 2000, the PCIe bus @ 114 Mhz from 100, and the CPU voltage at 1.500.

Only running one graphics card right now, as replacement for 2nd is in rma process still. My framerates are ok now, especially with the overclock to the cpu. the most recent patch also helped alot.