Backing up

I want to backup jpg files to the same folder structure on another
physical drive with dates later than... I am running XP Professional.

I used to do this all the time with PKware in the days of DOS. How do
I do it with XP.

Many thanks

Colin
8 answers Last reply
More about backing

    Colin Bearfield <c.bearfield@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >I want to backup jpg files to the same folder structure on another
    >physical drive with dates later than... I am running XP Professional.
    >
    >I used to do this all the time with PKware in the days of DOS. How do
    >I do it with XP.

    You could write a batch file. Check XXCopy (http://www.xxcopy.com), it
    is a good tool for such things.

    --
    (tm)

    On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 19:43:34 +0200, Thorsten Matzner
    <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote:

    >Colin Bearfield <c.bearfield@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I want to backup jpg files to the same folder structure on another
    >>physical drive with dates later than... I am running XP Professional.
    >>
    >>I used to do this all the time with PKware in the days of DOS. How do
    >>I do it with XP.
    >
    >You could write a batch file. Check XXCopy (http://www.xxcopy.com), it
    >is a good tool for such things.

    Thanks for that. I presume that it is something like the old xcopy.
    I'm a bit rusty on batch files, but I remember the switches. I should
    use /D:mm/dd/yy. I also remember that there should be /S to copy the
    subdirectory if it doesn't already exist.

    I think the general source would be G:\digifotos\ *.jpg /D:09/23/04 /S
    j:\digifotos

    Is that likely to work? Maybe I should contact the web site first.
    Fancy having to write batch files with all this software around.

    Best wishes

    Colin

    Arrgggghhhh!

    My command line is xcopy g:\digfotos\*.jpg h:\ /S /D:09/23/04

    It finds the right files but it doesn't preserve the folder structure.
    E.G. There is this already on drive H:. H:\DigFotos\FujiPic\House but
    instead of dropping the recent files into that folder it creates
    another one H:\DigFotos\House and drops them in there.

    What am I doing wrong?

    Best wishes

    Colin

    Colin Bearfield <c.bearfield@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >Thanks for that. I presume that it is something like the old xcopy.
    >I'm a bit rusty on batch files, but I remember the switches. I should
    >use /D:mm/dd/yy. I also remember that there should be /S to copy the
    >subdirectory if it doesn't already exist.
    >
    >I think the general source would be G:\digifotos\ *.jpg /D:09/23/04 /S
    >j:\digifotos
    >
    >Is that likely to work? Maybe I should contact the web site first.
    >Fancy having to write batch files with all this software around.

    Get the XXCOPY TECHNICAL BULLETIN #26 from the website for detailled
    instructions on all parameters. As far as I can see, the suggested
    command-line should work for you, but because DIGIFOTOS is a long
    folder name, you have to enlclose it in quotes:
    XXCOPY "G:\digifotos\*.jpg" /D:09/23/04 /S "j:\digifotos"

    --
    (tm)

    On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 20:36:22 +0200, Thorsten Matzner
    <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote:

    >Colin Bearfield <c.bearfield@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks for that. I presume that it is something like the old xcopy.
    >>I'm a bit rusty on batch files, but I remember the switches. I should
    >>use /D:mm/dd/yy. I also remember that there should be /S to copy the
    >>subdirectory if it doesn't already exist.
    >>
    >>I think the general source would be G:\digifotos\ *.jpg /D:09/23/04 /S
    >>j:\digifotos
    >>
    >>Is that likely to work? Maybe I should contact the web site first.
    >>Fancy having to write batch files with all this software around.
    >
    >Get the XXCOPY TECHNICAL BULLETIN #26 from the website for detailled
    >instructions on all parameters. As far as I can see, the suggested
    >command-line should work for you, but because DIGIFOTOS is a long
    >folder name, you have to enlclose it in quotes:
    >XXCOPY "G:\digifotos\*.jpg" /D:09/23/04 /S "j:\digifotos"

    Thanks again.

    Actually it seems to be working and I have only changed the "S" switch
    to "E". I seem to remember that if you use the "E" switch with xcopy
    you should also use "S". Is that right? Please not that I am using
    xcopy not xxcopy.

    Best wishes

    Colin

    Colin Bearfield <c.bearfield@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >Actually it seems to be working and I have only changed the "S" switch
    >to "E". I seem to remember that if you use the "E" switch with xcopy
    >you should also use "S". Is that right? Please not that I am using
    >xcopy not xxcopy.

    I have not heard of this, yet. But if it works, leave it alone.

    --
    (tm)

    Thanks for prompting me to take that trip down memory lane. Do you
    remember "prompt$P$G" and "call" and "dir" and "ANSI= something or
    other" and the intricacies of "config.sys". You could build a career
    on that!

    Best wishes

    Colin

    I use Nico Commander. (remember norton commander for DOS?) It will copy
    files, folders, subfolders, anything. You can use the option to only
    copy newer files, or sort the files by date and highlight the portion
    you want to copy. Super file handling program. I have been using it
    daily for several years.

    Date: Monday, Oct 11,2004

    ! Put Custom#1 Tag Here !
    ! Put Custom#2 Tag Here !