4850 crossfire blowing up psus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Segregation

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Hi I just recently installed a 2nd 4850 in my machine with a single molex to pcie and it ran furmark perfectly crossfired doubling the framerate on my p35 but when I started playing games it blew up my chiefmax V2 550w. I ordered a Chiefmax V2 650w and a dual molex to pcie adaptor to balance the pcie out between the 2 strands.. my question is will the 2 molex to pcie be better than the single molex to pcie or will it still blow up my psu. thanks.

im running a E7200 @ 3.66

Solution
I think that after the first psu blew up you would have bought a better brand of psu , but if the Chiefmax is what you want then that is what your going to get and the two molex to 6 pin is much better than the one to 6 pin. I do know that a better brand of psu will come with a 6 pin connector and you wouldn't have to use an adaptor.

COUGAR A-Series A760 (CGR B3-760) 760W ATX12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Ultra Quiet Power Supply
$84.99 and a $25 rebate that makes it $59.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817553010

This psu is on sale right now at Newegg and it comes with multiple 6 pin connectors and you won't have to worry about it blowing up. I don't know your budget and I don't know if...
I think that after the first psu blew up you would have bought a better brand of psu , but if the Chiefmax is what you want then that is what your going to get and the two molex to 6 pin is much better than the one to 6 pin. I do know that a better brand of psu will come with a 6 pin connector and you wouldn't have to use an adaptor.

COUGAR A-Series A760 (CGR B3-760) 760W ATX12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Ultra Quiet Power Supply
$84.99 and a $25 rebate that makes it $59.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817553010

This psu is on sale right now at Newegg and it comes with multiple 6 pin connectors and you won't have to worry about it blowing up. I don't know your budget and I don't know if you already have the other psu yet but you do want to get a high enough psu to have extra room and not be right on the edge of just enough.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.