Sign in with
Your question

Newly built computer. Motherboard & CPU compatible? Graphics problem?

Last response: in CPUs
June 16, 2012 4:19:18 AM

I ordered a computer and ordered this processor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and this motherboard:

I'm just wondering if they're compatible. They work, but maybe they're not working like how they're supposed to?

I got the computer in and put it together and I'm having troubles with it. It seems to run good and whatnot doing simple tasks, but in a game I play (Diablo 3) when I'm in the game my character lags and skips everywhere. It'll go good for like 5-10 seconds, then lag around for a while, then back to normal. It's not the video card because I tested it in my friend's computer and it works just fine. It sounds like a video problem though.

This is the ram I ordered with the motherboard and processor.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820231394

The hard drive is my old hard drive, and it has windows xp 32 bit (which I re-formatted and installed with the new motherboard). I know my game works with it because I had windows xp 32 bit on my old computer and it ran it just fine, along with the video card. The only things new are the motherboard, processor, power supply, and ram. The video card is almost 2 years old. I'm just stumped on what the problem is and why my video games run so much worse than they did in my old computer. I could have everything ALMOST high graphics and now with my new computer parts I can't even run it on low. Can somebody PLEASE give me some insight on what to do here?

All my drivers are up to date as with windows updates. Getting really frustrated with this.

Thanks, Jonathan.
a c 192 à CPUs
a c 468 V Motherboard
June 16, 2012 6:47:01 AM

sounds like something bottle necking the gpu. i would first look to see if you have all the mb bios bug fixes. the newest bios is f9.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
use a usb stick and use the mb bios update tool in the bios..it the safest way to do the update without bricking your mb.
i would go to amd web page and download the newest chipset driver for your mb. i would do the same for the sound and network chipset. if you still have an issue check that the mb is running the ram at it fastest speed. (cpu-z)
it give you the speed of your ram and the ram info under spd. 1333 ram is going to be running on amd system at 667 bus speed. (667x2=1333). you can see if it run stable at (800). speed. if there still lagging and it under 30 days i swap them out for intel cpu that are better for gaming.
i would use an h77 mb if you have more cash latter you can drop in a faster ib or sandy bridge chip. or look at one of the 6x chips that with a bios flash can do ib.
m
l
Related resources
June 18, 2012 12:58:19 AM

Thanks man! Great answer I'll try it all out and let you know how it went.
m
l
a c 144 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 19, 2012 2:00:31 AM

It might be the cpu downclocking due to heat. What cooler and thermal paste are you using?
m
l
June 19, 2012 4:24:13 AM

popatim said:
It might be the cpu downclocking due to heat. What cooler and thermal paste are you using?

Well I downloaded a program to check the temperatures in my computer, and everything looks normal to me. The thermal paste I was using was...I don't remember lol. It's a small tube and it's orange and white. I didn't check the temperatures WHILE my game was running though. Though I did for a split second catch my cpu usage using Ctrl, Alt & Delete and checking under performance. While my game was up my computer was running at like 90% computer usage, then it'd go back down. Is that normal?
m
l
a c 192 à CPUs
a c 468 V Motherboard
June 19, 2012 12:43:46 PM

most times in games the cut seans are the worst for any cpu and gpu. or when there a lot of plays fragging on screen. things like program called frapps will show you in a game when there issues..you see the onscreen fps counter drop like a rock. i dont want to say it a hard ware bottle neck...but do you have someone that has a spare drive you can use for the weekend??
most new games and drivers are written for windows 7. windows xp was more of an office os..you can run games under xp but they might not run the same as in windows 7. if you have another drive that you can use. i would download the free windows 8 previw and install it on the spare drive. (leave your other hard drive unplugged so it untuched.) install one of the games that giving you issues and see if it runs better...it it does ..then it a software issue with xp.
m
l
June 20, 2012 10:02:09 AM

smorizio said:
most times in games the cut seans are the worst for any cpu and gpu. or when there a lot of plays fragging on screen. things like program called frapps will show you in a game when there issues..you see the onscreen fps counter drop like a rock. i dont want to say it a hard ware bottle neck...but do you have someone that has a spare drive you can use for the weekend??
most new games and drivers are written for windows 7. windows xp was more of an office os..you can run games under xp but they might not run the same as in windows 7. if you have another drive that you can use. i would download the free windows 8 previw and install it on the spare drive. (leave your other hard drive unplugged so it untuched.) install one of the games that giving you issues and see if it runs better...it it does ..then it a software issue with xp.

The thing is is that with my old computer I had Windows XP 32-bit on it and it ran my game just fine. I had the same video card and hard drive in my old computer. The only things new I bought were the motherboard, processor, ram, cd-rom drive, and power supply. The old computer had a shitty dual-core in it with 2GB of ram, so it makes no sense to me on why it's having this problem now.
m
l
a c 192 à CPUs
a c 468 V Motherboard
June 21, 2012 9:11:00 AM

the new amd chips like the one you have still cant keep up in games with an older intel cpu. toms hardware did a report on an intel i3-2100 and it beat the pants off of amd cpus. now if your mb has all the bug fixes (bios updates) and all the cpu cores are on and the mb drivers are up to date. then it the cpu that bottle necking the gpu. you can see if on amd web page or mc there any patches for your cpu. i know when some of the new amd cpu came out ms has to write some for windows 7.
m
l
!