Need a new heatsink. How to buy it?

Squishy Crayons

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
My CPU was running hot at 80C so I opened it up to apply thermal paste. When I was putting the heatsink back on it wasn't fitting so I kept jamming it and some plastic from one of the four pin things on the bottom came off. Now it's really loose. When I turned the computer on the CPU jumped up to 105C and turned off. I'm scared to turn it back on.

Any good heatsink recommendations under $30? The one I had before was stock so it doesn't have to be super efficient or anything.

Also do all heatsinks generally fit all mobo's? The one I currently have is a pain to mount again (that's why it broke). My mobo has four small holes surrounding the CPU, so I'll need a heatsink that'll fit it.

InvalidError

Titan
You didn't say what CPU type/socket you have.

The CM Hyper 212+ costs $30 and has a backplate-mounted retention mechanism which solves the cheap plastic problem but may be a little cumbersome to install and a tight fit (or no-fit) in some cases and on some motherboards, particularly with tall DIMMs or extravagant chipset/VRM heatsinks.

Best to get away from the pushpin type anyway, they are notoriously poor at maintaining a close fit between the two surfaces.Even if you have to remove your mobo to fit the 212 it will be worth it, you won't have to worry about your temps for a long time...