Mixing and Not Matching

wrockisland

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Are there any known issues running Win 7 pro, XP, and OS 10 Tiger on the same T-100-switched-network? I have seven Power Mac G5's, two Dell laptops and one dell desktop in the same office. The graphics side of the business runs the Macs, the admin side the PC's.

We ran Win 2000 and Tiger for years with no problems. Upgraded two laptops to XP when Win 2000 was no longer supported and all of a sudden Permission issues are a big PIA. Replaced an old desktop with a new Dell T-3400 running Win 7 and the fun really started. After two days of BS it finally occurred to us to unplug the T-100 wire to the new Dell and see what happened. Peace and quiet. All stations in operation, and no issues.

Is there something to this, or was it the Ides of March?!
wrock

Since nobody else has stabbed at it I will, but you need to provide a little more detail:

What are the permission issues with XP?
What was happening when the Win 7 PC was connected?
Do you have a server? If so, what protocols does it use?

I personally have a mix of Windows 2000/XP/7 along with Ubuntu and Android on my home LAN with no problems.

wrockisland

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
We have been spending a little time each day working on the Dell D 620 Laptops running Win XP. Little by little we are by guess and by golly-ing our way through it. Today we seem to run into dead ends regarding Passwords. From the Mac we try to connect to the laptop by specifying the IP Addy for the laptop. So far so good. Then the Mac tells us the password is incorrect?? We didn't enter a password....

Win 7 Issues on Dell T-3400: I returned the computer to the seller. There was a motherboard problem that prevented the Bios from retaining the boot drive sequence. We would like to get another Precision T series, and start running Win 7 after we cure our current problems.

While the Dell T-3400 (running Win 7) was plugged into the T-100 network we had all kinds of network fall downs between the Macs and PC's.

We have no server; each computer connects to a 24 Port Hi Speed Switch via a T-100 cable. The switch is connected to a radio for the internet. The Win 2000 Dell work station acts as a "server" and administrates a Trend Micro security solution for all the PCs, but it is not a real server. Just another workstation.

wrockisland

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
We managed a fix for the Dell laptops as soon as we realized that the Microsoft network firewall was holding things up. This is something that XP Pro has that we never had to deal with with Win 2000. Now the laptops are able to work throughout the network and vice versa.

I managed to get the Dell workstation that runs Win 2000 to run a little easier by setting it up to automatically configure it's IP address, just like the laptops running XP Pro. Seems like it hooks up to the internet and to email a little faster.

Trouble is now the Dell won't network with the Macs! Waaaaaaa!!
wRock

This sounds like people didn't practice the age old advice of RTFM.

Read The Fcking Manual.

XPSP1 and higher has a built in firewall that gets turned on by default, its part of the "secure windows" push by MS. Same thing with the Windows 7 machine. Also Windows XP SP1 and higher have much stricter permissions regarding file sharing and authentication.

From the sounds of things your running an ad hoc network with no central server and just sharing folders from desktop machines to each other. This is going to prove to be very difficult as no central storage and no central authentication means password nightmares for the entire time your there.

The issues in your case are not the fact that they are on the same network but that you are trying to share stuff between the workstations. In a business environment that's poor practice.

Network storage is cheap, get some NAS boxes, and use that. You don't need to network anything to anything, setup a central server for all the stuff.