Closed Solved

URGENT - HD 6870 vs HD 6950, price worth the performance?

Ok I've done my homework and found two cards

Problem is that there's a 76$ difference between the 6870 and the 6950 and I can't see that the numbers justify that price difference

http://www.hwcompare.com/6107/radeon-hd-6870-vs-radeon-hd-6950/

I need advice, am I seriously going to see that much of an improvement in my games with the 6950 over the 6870?
Is the 6950 really worth the extra 76 dollars?

Please answer asap as a daily deal on newegg is about to expire and I really dont want to miss it.
52 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about urgent 6870 6950 price worth performance
  1. the answer is not really but you will need to check the games you want to play and on what resolution.

    the performance/price doesn't scale linearly, when you go up in the performance scale. Its worth it if you need it but if you don't then no.
  2. In my opinion yes , the 6950 is worth it , always get the best you can afford!
  3. ALSO I should add that I plan on overclocking the cards, so which handles the overclocking better? the 6870 is HIS and the 6950 is XFX

    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161393&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-14-161-393-_-Product

    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150523
  4. What are your full system specs?(CPU,RAM,etc.)

    If you can afford it and can think of nothing better to spend the extra money(RAM possibly)on then I say go for it.

    Which 6950 and 6870 are you interested in?Please provide links.

    You should be looking at game benchmarks not synthetic benchmarks based on clock speeds to compare.

    http://www.techspot.com/review/349-amd-radeon-6950/page11.html

    That review is a little old and drivers have been released since then to boost the 6950's performance in some games a little so keep that in mind.
  5. the 6950 OCs better
  6. argo49 said:
    ALSO I should add that I plan on overclocking the cards, so which handles the overclocking better? the 6870 is HIS and the 6950 is XFX



    If your planning on O.C.ing then maybe you you should consider going with the GTX560ti instead.It's the same price as the 6950 and also performs the same but is known to be a great O.C.er.

    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127594
  7. OKAY PC specs:

    Processor: AMD Phenom X4 II Black Edition Quad Core
    Memory: 8 GB G-Skill ram (4 x 2GB) 1333
    Mobo: Gigabyte UD2H Micro ATX GA-880GMA-UD2H
    current GPU: Sapphire radeon HD 5770 256-bit
    OS: Windows 7 Home edition
  8. purple stank said:
    If your planning on O.C.ing then maybe you you should consider going with the GTX560ti instead.It's the same price as the 6950 and also performs the same but is known to be a great O.C.er.

    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127594


    I would but the 6950 card's got the 30$ rebate so that would make all this a more than 100$ price difference between it and the daily deal'd 6870
  9. get the 6950 then. also make sure your psu can handle it.
  10. Here's another GTX560ti.It's the same price as the XFX 6950 even after the MIR.

    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125401

    But for $20 more I think the Twin Frozr is really worth it.The cooling with that card is one of the best and will allow you to achieve a much higher O.C.

    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127594
  11. the 560 is less powerful than the 6950 at stock by about 5-10%
  12. Looks more like 5% but you are correct.But everything I've read states that your are much more likely to achieve a higher O.C. with a GTX560ti than a 6950.So in the end the GTX560ti will be faster if you can O.C well.

    http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-560-ti-review/18
  13. you can also OC the 6950 pretty well
  14. oh ya forgot about the psu (d'oh) it's x-power 650 (650watts).
    So it's not the greatest but it should be able to put up some solid numbers right?

    240$ is really pushing it for my budget though, esp with the tax in my province (thanks for keeping it on newegg.ca btw) and i've heard better things about xfx than I have gigabyte. Can the GTX560ti really be THAT much better in OC'ing to warrant going with a (in my experience) poorer brand instead of the xfx 6950?
  15. Gigabyte is just as good as XFX.Infact you will proabably see better temps with a dual fan design.

    I think that review is meant to show if they perform differently with an equal O.C. because i'm seeing this...

    GTX560ti

    http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-560-ti-review/20

    6950

    http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-6950-6970-review/25
  16. hmm I guess I was wrong but I guess it depends on the game you play. the 6950 seems to do so much better in 3dmark but average pretty normal with the 560 ti in gaming.
  17. Yah it matters most which game you play.Some games favor Nvidia some favor AMD.
  18. Okay but again, I'm mostly trying to figure out whether or not I should get the 6870 or the 6950/gtx560ti because the performance from my point of view seems to be pretty similar between the two. Are there any long term benefits to getting the 6950 over the 6870? Because I don't think getting an extra 6 fps really warrants the 6950's price over the 6870 but I also dont want to have to upgrade my card in another year.
  19. argo49 said:
    Ok I've done my homework and found two cards

    Problem is that there's a 76$ difference between the 6870 and the 6950 and I can't see that the numbers justify that price difference

    http://www.hwcompare.com/6107/radeon-hd-6870-vs-radeon-hd-6950/

    I need advice, am I seriously going to see that much of an improvement in my games with the 6950 over the 6870?
    Is the 6950 really worth the extra 76 dollars?

    Please answer asap as a daily deal on newegg is about to expire and I really dont want to miss it.

    Hell no there is a small difference that is niot even close to being worth over $70 and the 6870 is the only card to get until 7XXX comes out then that will be a real upgrade.
  20. How expensive are the 7XXX going to be and when do they come out? Should I just wait for that?

    ALSO if I can overclock the 6950 to run like a 6970 then is it worth the extra money in that regard?
  21. argo49 said:
    How expensive are the 7XXX going to be and when do they come out? Should I just wait for that?

    ALSO if I can overclock the 6950 to run like a 6970 then is it worth the extra money in that regard?

    depends on availability.
    here's a speculations:
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-to-Launch-Three-28nm-Radeon-HD-7000-GPUs-by-March-2012-243415.shtml
    http://vr-zone.com/articles/report-amd-radeon-hd-7000-prices/14157.html
    recent 6950 might not oc to 6970 as amd laser cut newer 6950 gpus. it depends on luck (same with any other overclocking).
    some comparisons.
    topmost end, 6970 vs 7970:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/509?vs=508
    others, 6870 vs 6950 1 gb:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/290?vs=331
    6870 vs 6950 2 gb:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/290?vs=293
    gtx 560 ti vs 6950 2 gb:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/330?vs=293
  22. Ok, thanks for the links. I feel like maybe waiting for the 7850 Is my best option right now. Although getting the 6950 to enjoy it for the rest of my holiday break is tempting... but at that price it'll be the only graphics card I buy in the next two years so I want to make damn sure it's the best I can get.
  23. argo49 said:
    Ok, thanks for the links. I feel like maybe waiting for the 7850 Is my best option right now. Although getting the 6950 to enjoy it for the rest of my holiday break is tempting... but at that price it'll be the only graphics card I buy in the next two years so I want to make damn sure it's the best I can get.

    why even think about the 6950 when the 6870 is allot cheaper and pretty well matches the 6950 performance LOL.
  24. because I want to make sure it's not going to get completely outdated like my 5770 did after just one year of ownership. I know all gpus get outdated after pretty much one month, but i'd like to see some serious longevity in the next card i buy. Hurry guys, the deal on newegg's gonna end soon! will the 6950/560ti last longer in my pc (two years) when overclocked than the 6870?
  25. the 6950/56ti will last longer than the 6870 ofc because they have more pwoerful gpus. i linked the 7000 series article to show how much performance the new series offers. compare the 6950/560 ti performance, your budget and mindset - you should be able to decide.
    edit: usually a brand's top tier cards last a bit longer than lower tier cards. the 5770 is in the higher end of lower tier or lower end of the mid tier (depending on who you ask) so it seemed to get outdated so fast.
    meanwhile, 6950 is amd's second fastest gpu among amd's currently selling lineup. 3rd fastest if you count 7970's launch. 560 ti is nvidia's upper end of mid range cards or lower end of top tier. it's nvidia's 4th fastest (580>570>560ti 448 cores> 560 ti) gpu on the market today. remember how old gtx 460s and 5870s are still capable cards. but cards like gts 450 or 5750 seem to become outdated quickly.
    tom's gfx card hierarchy chart
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3085-7.html
  26. argo49 said:
    because I want to make sure it's not going to get completely outdated like my 5770 did after just one year of ownership. I know all gpus get outdated after pretty much one month, but i'd like to see some serious longevity in the next card i buy. Hurry guys, the deal on newegg's gonna end soon! will the 6950/560ti last longer in my pc (two years) when overclocked than the 6870?

    You will not find longevity in a 6950 over a 6870 we are talking 4-7 fps or less and in some cases they are the same performance.
  27. de5_Roy said:
    the 6950/56ti will last longer than the 6870 ofc because they have more pwoerful gpus. i linked the 7000 series article to show how much performance the new series offers. compare the 6950/560 ti performance, your budget and mindset - you should be able to decide.
    edit: usually a brand's top tier cards last a bit longer than lower tier cards. the 5770 is in the higher end of lower tier or lower end of the mid tier (depending on who you ask) so it seemed to get outdated so fast.
    meanwhile, 6950 is amd's second fastest gpu among amd's currently selling lineup. 3rd fastest if you count 7970's launch. 560 ti is nvidia's upper end of mid range cards or lower end of top tier. it's nvidia's 4th fastest (580>570>560ti 448 cores> 560 ti) gpu on the market today. remember how old gtx 460s and 5870s are still capable cards. but cards like gts 450 or 5750 seem to become outdated quickly.
    tom's gfx card hierarchy chart
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3085-7.html

    When the top end card like 6950 is on par with the high end mid range card being the 6870 you are not losing anything but money if you go with the 6950 it is really not that great for the price and its performance is competitive with 6870 add in price and the 6870 is the clear winner.
  28. It's assumed you're playing on 1920x1080/1200. If not, you may want to dig a little deeper into performance charts. Or just take Headspin's advice, seems logical.
  29. Ya I'll be playing at 1920x1080 but also I was wondering if the 6950/560ti have any kind of overclocking advantage over the 6870 because i've heard that you can oc the 6950 to a 6970 and the GTX card are always beasts at overclocking. Honestly I'm not looking for 60fps constant, I'm quite happy with anywhere from 45-60fps but also the main point here being that I want this card to LAST. I want the 60fps for this year's games (2012) and the 45fps for 2013.
  30. argo49 said:
    I want the 60fps for this year's games (2012) and the 45fps for 2013.

    Um. You're going to need a 580 and up then... If you also want to crank games to Ultra.
  31. argo49 said:
    oh ya forgot about the psu (d'oh) it's x-power 650 (650watts).
    So it's not the greatest but it should be able to put up some solid numbers right?
    ...

    No, it's probably good for no more than 450W continuous; 500W if you're lucky (I'm assuming this is a HEC PSU and/or has a little voltage switch on it). How many PCIE power connectors does it have? If there are two, it might handle a HD6870. If there's only one, I don't know that I'd try it with adapters.

    I would suggest getting a quality PSU before worrying about your video card. Something like a 650W Antec Earthwatts and a HD6850 should be no more than you were willing to spend on the HD6950. Not as good as you hoped, but won't kill your system.
  32. Best answer
    argo49 said:
    Ya I'll be playing at 1920x1080 but also I was wondering if the 6950/560ti have any kind of overclocking advantage over the 6870 because i've heard that you can oc the 6950 to a 6970 and the GTX card are always beasts at overclocking. Honestly I'm not looking for 60fps constant, I'm quite happy with anywhere from 45-60fps but also the main point here being that I want this card to LAST. I want the 60fps for this year's games (2012) and the 45fps for 2013.

    Save yourself $90 and get the 6870 you will be delighted with it's performance and you are not losing anything you are gaining money by going with 6870 and yes it overclocks well up to 1ghz on the core or a bit more if you are lucky so you can close the gap even more and overtake a 6950 completely for $90 less. PEACE ;-) PS here is a good review on the 6870 by Tiny Tom Logan over at Overclock 3D complete with real time gameplay videos and benchmarks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQQ-rfBRnow&feature=relmfu
  33. Onus said:
    No, it's probably good for no more than 450W continuous; 500W if you're lucky (I'm assuming this is a HEC PSU and/or has a little voltage switch on it). How many PCIE power connectors does it have? If there are two, it might handle a HD6870. If there's only one, I don't know that I'd try it with adapters.

    I would suggest getting a quality PSU before worrying about your video card. Something like a 650W Antec Earthwatts and a HD6850 should be no more than you were willing to spend on the HD6950. Not as good as you hoped, but won't kill your system.


    This is the exact psu I own:
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817339024

    I know it has the two 6pin power connectors required for the 6870.

    Also this is what I'm thinking right now:
    I'd rather spend 240 right now on a gpu than 160 now and 160 again next year to upgrade. Crossfire and SLI isn't possible since I was uninformed when I built my first PC and only have a micro atx
  34. argo49 said:
    This is the exact psu I own:
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817339024

    I know it has the two 6pin power connectors required for the 6870.

    Also this is what I'm thinking right now:
    I'd rather spend 240 right now on a gpu than 160 now and 160 again next year to upgrade. Crossfire and SLI isn't possible since I was uninformed when I built my first PC and only have a micro atx

    For you price range and since no CFX the only choice is 6870 6950 is garbage.
  35. Ok then going with the 6870. If anyone objects speak now (next 30 minutes) or forever hold your peace! lol Also I figure i can sell the free dirt 3 game.

    EDIT: Changed my mind, im one helluva indecisive sob. Going with either the 6950 or the gtx560ti. Now I just need to make up my in about which :P thanks for all your help!

    (Main factor in my change of mind: Tom's Graphics Card Hierarchy list says i should buy three tiers up. I trust that. Also maximum pc suggests the MSI frozr II)

    so now im thinking of this:

    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127565
  36. argo49 said:
    Ok then going with the 6870. If anyone objects speak now (next 30 minutes) or forever hold your peace! lol Also I figure i can sell the free dirt 3 game.

    EDIT: Changed my mind, im one helluva indecisive sob. Going with either the 6950 or the gtx560ti. Now I just need to make up my in about which :P thanks for all your help!

    (Main factor in my change of mind: Tom's Graphics Card Hierarchy list says i should buy three tiers up. I trust that. Also maximum pc suggests the MSI frozr II)

    so now im thinking of this:

    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127565

    Good call on the 560ti - that's a good one, too.
  37. jessterman21 said:
    Good call on the 560ti - that's a good one, too.

    You fucked up LOL
  38. argo49 said:
    Ok then going with the 6870. If anyone objects speak now (next 30 minutes) or forever hold your peace! lol Also I figure i can sell the free dirt 3 game.

    EDIT: Changed my mind, im one helluva indecisive sob. Going with either the 6950 or the gtx560ti. Now I just need to make up my in about which :P thanks for all your help!

    (Main factor in my change of mind: Tom's Graphics Card Hierarchy list says i should buy three tiers up. I trust that. Also maximum pc suggests the MSI frozr II)

    so now im thinking of this:

    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127565

    You are seriously throwing away money you don't need to. Stick with the 6870,
    http://www.amazon.com/SAPPHIRE-Radeon-6870-GDDR5-Graphics/dp/B005C8RTTU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1JLOKCPE6YGQI&colid=37HY7W04DYMZS

    That's nearly 100 dollars difference for ~5-10 fps. You can buy a 64gb SSD boot drive with that, which would be a huge difference for your system in general, or just pocket it. Getting the 6950 or gtx560ti is not going to meaningfully prolong when you will need to upgrade next.
  39. OKAY thank you all. I've made the plunge and bought the 6870:

    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161393

    Thank you all for helping me to make my descision :)
    I'll be saving that extra 100$ for a new laptop when I start university! So, anyone want to buy a copy of dirt3 on the cheap?
  40. Best answer selected by argo49.
  41. the 6870 is one of the worser cards for OC you can get...
  42. Well I'll let you all know how the overclocking goes anyway
  43. Lol.Glad you finally made up your mind.Either way I'm sure you will be happy with either card.It will be a nice improvement over your current 5770.
  44. My agreeance for the 560ti was because it can overclock very well - up to 570/6970 performance. OP said he wants 60fps on 2011/2012 games. An overclocked 560ti is the closest you'll get without getting hit hard by diminishing returns for your cash.

    I am all for the 6870, it IS the best bang for your buck right now. In fact I just bought the IceQ X version today!

    Happy gaming, argo.
  45. esrever said:
    the 6870 is one of the worser cards for OC you can get...


    The trigger's been pulled.Nothing much we can do about it now.
  46. well its still an amazing card even if you can't get a good OC on it. Im sure you will be happy with it. :)
  47. Yes it is.I'm getting my 2nd one tomorrow for crossfire.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Performance HD Graphics Product