Sign in with
Your question

make E5-2600 recognise 4 dimms per one channel

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
June 16, 2012 9:24:25 AM

Hello,I have once made successfully boot windows7 x64 with 128GB RDIMM and Zeon E5-2609 on X9SRA. But after booting several times the windows does not boot any more. It is OK if I reduce memory to 96GB. Is there any work around to reset the E5-2600 cpu back to the initial condition?
a c 181 à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
June 16, 2012 9:38:56 AM

Hi, this sounds more like a problem with the RDIMMs themselves than with Windows. Windows does not care at all how many ranks or DIMMs there are per memory channel because this is all handled by the hardware; it cares only about the installed physical capacity.

You should test the DIMMs to see if there are any bad ones and/or check your startup logs for memory errors
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
June 16, 2012 10:35:55 AM

I had randomly chosen memory assemblies and tested. I found that there is not a bad memory chip on the assemblies. My point is although E5-2600 spec sheet says they can handle only 3 dimms on one channel, I was able to make it recognise 4 dimms once ( my assembly is dual rank 16GB. 8 assemblies total 128 GB. As E5-2609 has 4 channels there are 2x8/4=4 dimms per channel.)
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 181 à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
June 16, 2012 5:57:25 PM

Oh, you mean to say that you have 4 ranks per channel. Electrically it's mostly the same though. The E2609 should be able to handle plenty of RDIMMs though because the electrical load is lower on RDIMMs
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
June 17, 2012 4:20:31 AM

Thank you Pinhedd for your comment. I hoped that E2609 could handle 4 dimms per channel because X9SRA has 8 memory slots. So I filled all the slots with dual rank 16GB sticks, as they are affordable for me. I am suspicious of E2609 to limit the number of dimms to three per channel by rewriting microcode though it can handle 4 dimms initially. I have not enough tech to hack the microcode.
m
l
a c 181 à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
June 17, 2012 4:36:03 AM

I've never heard of a processor only being able to handle a certain number of DIMMs or rewriting it internally. IBM and other mainframe vendors have done this for decades but never Intel. What you install is what you get. Certain chipsets allow for expanded memory options such as mirrored memory, spares, hot swap, etc... It's possible that you configured it such that one DIMM or rank per channel is kept in spare or in some mode other than live.

Intel doesn't recommend or guarantee certain combinations such as running multiple DIMMs per channel at high speeds because this can degrade data integrity but that doesn't mean that they won't run. I'm running 8 DIMMs, 2 per channel, at 2133 without issue even though Intel only recommends running two DIMMs at 1333 when integrity is paramount.
m
l
June 28, 2012 12:07:39 PM

Quote:
Hello,I have once made successfully boot windows7 x64 with 128GB RDIMM and Zeon E5-2609 on X9SRA. But after booting several times the windows does not boot any more. It is OK if I reduce memory to 96GB. Is there any work around to reset the E5-2600 cpu back to the initial condition?

You might have made a similar mistake like us. X9SRX has the memory sockets just above the location of a standoff for ATX form factor mobo. you must remove the standoff before attaching the mobo. hope this is not the right solution :kaola:  .
m
l
!