Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best psu for dual psu extreme gaming setup

Last response: in Components
June 16, 2012 9:55:57 AM

hi,
i am setting up a extreme gaming rig....i dont know that much about psu's..i think using 2 psu's will be more power efficient.....i saw some videos on youtube where people run one psu only for the mbo and stuff..and another one only for the gpu's..i think that would be a better setup than a really high wattage psu like the lepa g-1600w....so here is my rig hardware---
i7 3960x oc'd to 5.0 ghz
asus rampage 4 extreme
xfx radeon 7970 dd blaack edition running in 4 way crossfirex,core oc'd to 1265 mhz,memory oc'd to 1500 mhz
gskill 64gb black edition

so which psu's should i buy for a dual psu setup with these extreme hardware??

i searched bit and found these...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i didnt put the silverstone strider 1200w psu link here cuz on the gpu support list,it says that the psu can run only 3x 7970's and am gonna use one psu solely for the gpu's so silverstone is a deal breaker..it might be able to run the gpu's in quadfire as it has all the connectors,but i dont wanna risk it....

am gonna be using this to daisy chain the psu's///
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13815/ele-933/Add2PSU...

i am taking the easy way by buying the this one cuz i dont know much about the wire cutting and relay and stuff..lol

am probably gonna be using the same psu's as its gonna provide more stability or something..

plz help

thnx in advance
mukit
June 16, 2012 10:27:49 AM

mukitbinazad said:
hi,
i am setting up a extreme gaming rig....i dont know that much about psu's..i think using 2 psu's will be more power efficient.....i saw some videos on youtube where people run one psu only for the mbo and stuff..and another one only for the gpu's..i think that would be a better setup than a really high wattage psu like the lepa g-1600w....so here is my rig hardware---
i7 3960x oc'd to 5.0 ghz
asus rampage 4 extreme
xfx radeon 7970 dd blaack edition running in 4 way crossfirex,core oc'd to 1265 mhz,memory oc'd to 1500 mhz

so which psu's should i buy for a dual psu setup with these extreme hardware??

i searched bit and found these...

i didnt put the silverstone strider 1200w psu link here cuz on the gpu support list,it says that the psu can run only 3x 7970's and am gonna use one psu solely for the gpu's so silverstone is a deal breaker..it might be able to run the gpu's in quadfire as it has all the connectors,but i dont wanna risk it....

am gonna be using this to daisy chain the psu's///
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13815/ele-933/Add2PSU...

i am taking the easy way by buying the this one cuz i dont know much about the wire cutting and relay and stuff..lol

am probably gonna be using the same psu's as its gonna provide more stability or something..

plz help

thnx in advance
mukit

Damn this is gonna turn out to be one awesome setup.. (never tried this before so don't know much but... )

Just quickly looked at the given 4 PSU.. Looking at the Pictures Choose XFX looks lot cooler.. haha
i will reply back again after i check those PSU properly, when i get back gotta go somewhere first..
Score
June 16, 2012 10:35:11 AM

b1bekgyawali said:
Damn this is gonna turn out to be one awesome setup.. (never tried this before so don't know much but... )

Just quickly looked at the given 4 PSU.. Looking at the Pictures Choose XFX looks lot cooler.. haha
i will reply back again after i check those PSU properly, when i get back gotta go somewhere first..

thnx for checking my post out..added another psu link(the coolermaster 1300w)..check that one out too if you can... :D 
Score
Related resources
June 16, 2012 10:54:38 AM

seasonic or xfx definitely not crappermaster
Score
a c 104 ) Power supply
June 16, 2012 11:00:52 AM

How many monitors and what resolution are you playing with here?
Moto
Score
a b ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
June 16, 2012 11:25:11 AM

why have all gpu's off one psu. Everything else will take maybe 250W max, so unless you are going really unbalanced, i.e. a 300W psu and a 1200W psu then 2 x 800 would probably be perfectly fine as a single good 800 could cope with crossfire.
Score
a b ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
June 16, 2012 11:27:35 AM

Your biggest concern with this, and i'm guessing you are inexperienced, is cooling that setup without going deaf, those 4 cards will need a lot of air, and will be choked by the small gaps between them. You will hit some unique and interesting problems on that build I am sure.
Score
June 16, 2012 11:42:20 AM

oops! Sorry, 1000w is not enough i thought you were talking about to crossfire in only 2 way but i've seen you have mention for 4 way crossfire so definitely need about more than 1000w.
Score
June 16, 2012 12:23:26 PM

mukitbinazad said:
thnx for checking my post out..added another psu link(the coolermaster 1300w)..check that one out too if you can... :D 

Yeah checked it out, Every one of them is a damn good PSU's (people have their preference like looks, brand name etc) but all of them should easily be able to handle all your setup.

I am stuck at
1) ENERMAX MAXREVO Series EMR1350EWT 1350W
2) XFX ProSeries P1-1250-BEFX 1250W
3) COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Hybrid RS-D00-SPHA-D3 (for some reason i like this one no too sure why as haven't used it before..)

There is something else i am thinking 2x 1250W (XFX lowest) would be 2500W.. I have seen any setups ever needing that much power. Are you sure you really want to use 2X these, that would be waste money/electricity if you go with something moderate it will save some money as well as "planet" lol.. (climate change and all that crap)

Anyway just wanted to point out as mentioned by someone else before as well what is your thought on getting 2 a bit lower wattage PSU or just getting that 1500-1600W PSU should still be fine i don't see a problem ever occurring and this would also mean more free space inside the case helping you with the cooling a bit.. (and if a 0.05% chance (random guess) problem somehow does occur lower than you still have the option to add in another small PSU)

Personally If i had to go with one of the above 5 PSU x 2 setup than i Would go with "XFX ProSeries P1-1250-BEFX 1250W ".. Just due to the fact it looks a bit cooler than other.. sry when looking at this high level PSU's, I don't see a problem in any of them. Just small pluses and minuses which wouldn't normally matter anyway.

anyway let us know what you decide and post some damn good videos/pic after you complete the Setup. send me the links so i can check them out...
Score
a b ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
June 16, 2012 1:46:03 PM

one of those psu's will be at about 20% the way he is setup right now, which is stupid.
Score

Best solution

June 16, 2012 2:45:10 PM

13thmonkey said:
one of those psu's will be at about 20% the way he is setup right now, which is stupid.

20% of Each PSU will be 1000W if he decided to have both PSU.. Considering he is planning to OC the processor to 5.0GHZ
than 4 x 7970. When Gaming at Max 7970 Can take up to 300W Considering he is using all 4 he wont ever reach max (probably) but still around 250 x4 = 1000w
The 4x GPU will alone take in around 1000W if he runs them at MAX... so he should have min 1350-1400 W.
And max he will probably use ever will be around 1550-1650 if he has other things in CPU and also running very high.

though you are right he would be fine with one of those 1400-1600 PSU without problem as he would never use 1000W on 4x GPU as he wont be able to puss them to limit. processors/rams/speed will bottleneck this long before.. (might be wrong hey but it is still cool 4x 7970)

All the work above is my Mathematically genius brains work. (I self awarded myself this title..)
a b ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
June 16, 2012 2:54:56 PM

he wants to run all four gpus off one = 1200W+ and tyhe cpu off the other, 300W?

one fully loaded, one barely loaded.
Score
a c 243 ) Power supply
June 16, 2012 2:56:11 PM

b1bekgyawali said:
20% of Each PSU will be 1000W if he decided to have both PSU.. Considering he is planning to OC the processor to 5.0GHZ
than 4 x 7970. When Gaming at Max 7970 Can take up to 300W Considering he is using all 4 he wont ever reach max (probably) but still around 250 x4 = 1000w
The 4x GPU will alone take in around 1000W if he runs them at MAX... so he should have min 1350-1400 W.
And max he will probably use ever will be around 1550-1650 if he has other things in CPU and also running very high.

though you are right he would be fine with one of those 1400-1600 PSU without problem as he would never use 1000W on 4x GPU as he wont be able to puss them to limit. processors/rams/speed will bottleneck this long before.. (might be wrong hey but it is still cool 4x 7970)

All the work above is my Mathematically genius brains work. (I self awarded myself this title..)

2 x 1250 watt units = 2500 watts
20% = how much ?
Score
June 16, 2012 3:00:19 PM

13thmonkey said:
Your biggest concern with this, and i'm guessing you are inexperienced, is cooling that setup without going deaf, those 4 cards will need a lot of air, and will be choked by the small gaps between them. You will hit some unique and interesting problems on that build I am sure.

LOL....am gonna be using the caselabs sth10 case..dual 560 rad's on top,1x 360 rad on the front and dual 420 rad's in the bottom with 2x psu's...there s still alot of room..i think you be concerned about my q. rather than other stuff...again LOL
Score
June 16, 2012 3:07:14 PM

would you not be better off getting two graphics card, say two GTX 670 they will max out any game and reach around 80+ FPS, having 4 Graphics cards cause alot more problems than they are worth. unless you want to bench mark because the only resaon i can see is bragging rights.
Score
June 16, 2012 3:10:39 PM

are you going to be water cooling the cards then? because it makes no difference how big your case is if you are running 4 cards as the wont be enough space between them for the air to get to them.
Score
a b ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
June 16, 2012 3:13:42 PM

mukitbinazad said:
LOL....am gonna be using the caselabs sth10 case..dual 560 rad's on top,1x 360 rad on the front and dual 420 rad's in the bottom with 2x psu's...there s still alot of room..i think you be concerned about my q. rather than other stuff...again LOL

and you are an ignorant tosser

And if you are so experienced why are you wanted to do it in such a stupid way.
Score
June 16, 2012 3:17:22 PM

+1^

cant stand it when people ask for help and then act like this.
Score
June 16, 2012 3:18:40 PM

thnx for the replies guys..:) ..so basically i can buy any of those psu's......and some people are saying that one psu will be fully loaded and another will barely be loaded......i am using 2 psu's cuz i dont want 1 psu to 100% loaded....actually by using the gpu's for one psu wont make it fully load(100%) as they are 1250/1350 watts...i dont want to were any psuout or push its limits by using a single psu for the whole system..so i want to buy 2 psu's....ok...one bro recommended the xfx one..well i luv xfx for gpu's but i dont really think that they are reliable enough as they are superb gpu vendors....not psu's probably...lol..if they were awesome psu vendors than all the people would be buying xfx psu's and not corsair psu's and stuff lol...i wont be buying the coolermaster 1300w as it has really poor reviews..the coolermaster 1200w has good reviews but it has 4x8pin and 4x6pin..so i didnt like the fact...havent bought any seasonic stuff before..but i use enermax appolish vegas fans and they are awesome...i also heard that they make awesome psu's...it has good reviews too..so going with 2x enermax 1350watt psu's....
Score
June 16, 2012 3:21:35 PM

mercer95 said:
+1^

cant stand it when people ask for help and then act like this.

you really didn't come to help did you??you came here only to troll and to earn points by saying off topic stuff..
Score
June 16, 2012 3:25:23 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
How many monitors and what resolution are you playing with here?
Moto

i will be running four asus ve278q monitors in potrait mode....didnt count the resolution..lol
Score
June 16, 2012 3:31:15 PM

Best answer selected by mukitbinazad.
Score
June 16, 2012 3:35:47 PM

mukitbinazad said:
you really didn't come to help did you??you came here only to troll and to earn points by saying off topic stuff..

Of course i came to help, i explained that the are no real benefits to using 4 graphics cards and that there are simpler cheaper alternatives, that wont cause problems, unless you are going to be benchmarking or just want bragging rights the isn't much point in spending this amount of money, if you do want to benchmark or you do want bragging rights that's fine but you would be better of getting 4 GTX 680's as they are superior to the 7970's. and as for the points thing that made me laugh, i couldn't give a rats ass about my points, im here to seek advice and give advice and express my opinion and nothing more.
Score
June 16, 2012 3:42:09 PM

mukitbinazad said:
thnx for the replies guys..:) ..so basically i can buy any of those psu's......and some people are saying that one psu will be fully loaded and another will barely be loaded......i am using 2 psu's cuz i dont want 1 psu to 100% loaded....actually by using the gpu's for one psu wont make it fully load(100%) as they are 1250/1350 watts...i dont want to were any psuout or push its limits by using a single psu for the whole system..so i want to buy 2 psu's....ok...one bro recommended the xfx one..well i luv xfx for gpu's but i dont really think that they are reliable enough as they are superb gpu vendors....not psu's probably...lol..if they were awesome psu vendors than all the people would be buying xfx psu's and not corsair psu's and stuff lol...i wont be buying the coolermaster 1300w as it has really poor reviews..the coolermaster 1200w has good reviews but it has 4x8pin and 4x6pin..so i didnt like the fact...havent bought any seasonic stuff before..but i use enermax appolish vegas fans and they are awesome...i also heard that they make awesome psu's...it has good reviews too..so going with 2x enermax 1350watt psu's....

Don't listen to these Guys they are just jealous, i am jealous as well of them setup cannot afford at to moment. As i mentioned all of them are awesome PSU's, good you decided on one..

Good luck with the build..
Score
a b ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
June 16, 2012 3:50:44 PM

and your best answer is so full of holes its untrue, well done.
Score
June 16, 2012 4:47:26 PM

mercer95 said:
Of course i came to help, i explained that the are no real benefits to using 4 graphics cards and that there are simpler cheaper alternatives, that wont cause problems, unless you are going to be benchmarking or just want bragging rights the isn't much point in spending this amount of money, if you do want to benchmark or you do want bragging rights that's fine but you would be better of getting 4 GTX 680's as they are superior to the 7970's. and as for the points thing that made me laugh, i couldn't give a rats ass about my points, im here to seek advice and give advice and express my opinion and nothing more.

let me clear some stuff about your biased comparison with the radeon 7970 and gtx 680

1.the gtx 680 can be quad sli'd but nvidia only approves of 3 way sli...+there are no guides for the 3d surround with 4 way sli gtx 680

2.the gtx 680 only supports 3 monitors+1 extended....and 3d vision is not availabe for potrait setup

3.gtx 680 has limited oc capabilities

4.i don't like nvidia

see..here are the 4 reasons why i didn't buy gtx 680's

ok..here goes why i bought the 7970's

1.they are 4 way crossfirex certified

2.each of them can run 6 monitos(currently 4 as there are no certified mst hubs and no monitors that have both display port in and display port out+you can play games on four of em..not like nvidia 3 monitor+1 extended:p )

3.7970 has extreme oc capabilities

4.i love amd

so 7970 is the best choice for me..and about the 2 way sli with cheap gpu part......i think you haven't read my post properly...i listed i7 3960x,asus r4e,64gb g.skill black edition ram in hardware......i think you can understand by now that moneey is no option and i want the best of everything

so what is the result??you got PWNED...LOL
Score
June 16, 2012 4:57:16 PM

Actually i bet you pwned by some kid rocking an old athlon and a gt440 who realised developing skill makes you good not throwing money down the crapper...... course he will only pwn you in the narrow time margin your machine is turned on between its severe overheating bouts.
Score
a b ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
June 16, 2012 4:59:24 PM

wr6133 said:
Actually i bet you pwned by some kid rocking an old athlon and a gt440 who realised developing skill makes you good not throwing money down the crapper...... course he will only pwn you in the narrow time margin your machine is turned on between its severe overheating bouts.

you don't understand you aren't helping him by agreeing with him, you must be wrong therefore. :) 
Score
June 16, 2012 5:21:07 PM

wr6133 said:

building extreme pc's is my hobby...i dont care if you think that i am throwing out money...and hopefully there will be no over heating issues as am gonna be using 5 radiators..thank you for your concern
Score
a b ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
June 16, 2012 5:47:45 PM

and you still haven't spotted the huge error in your so-called best answer.
Score
June 16, 2012 6:00:56 PM

mukitbinazad said:
you got PWNED...LOL

im just trying to figure out how a child has managed to this amount of money... i really would love to see the finished results but i highly doubt i will.
Score
a b ) Power supply
June 16, 2012 6:37:21 PM

Hi :) 

My company builds high end custom gaming machines ...

I think this thread is extremely amusing :) 

Some pictures would be nice.... how about a picture of those 4 cards plus boxes which you already own ???

All the best Brett :) 
Score
a b ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
June 16, 2012 6:50:03 PM

if he knows enough to select the rads and setup the loops etc. then why on earth is he asking here, he should be advising here.
Score
a b ) Power supply
June 16, 2012 6:56:58 PM

13thmonkey said:
if he knows enough to select the rads and setup the loops etc. then why on earth is he asking here, he should be advising here.

Hi :) 

Precisely...

The word Troll comes to mind...

All the best Brett :) 
Score
June 16, 2012 11:09:11 PM

agreed..
Score
a c 2175 ) Power supply
a c 442 4 Gaming
June 16, 2012 11:14:07 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened