Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Planning on building a new computer. Pretty terrified.

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 29, 2012 4:56:06 AM

Hi!

I'm building a PC for $600.

I want to be able to melt faces on BF3, CS:S and League of Legends.

Also, I want to be able to use VST's on FL Studio to make some crazy music.

I found a sweet deal for the FX-8120 processor along with some free or heavily discounted motherboards, so I figure that will help out a lot.

I figure I won't have the money for the most high end graphics card and that is OK. I don't really know what BF3 requires to play at uber-high settings, but the monitor I have right now is 22" and 1650x1080 so I don't care.

I was just hoping that I could get a little bit of advice to build around my CPU + Motherboard choice :) 

So far I have decided on:

CPU: AMD FX-8120

Motherboard: I'm trying to decide between:
ASUS
Sabertooth Socket AM3+ 990FX ATX

Gigabyte
GA-990FXA-UD3 Socket AM3+ 990FX ATX

ASRock
990FX Extreme3 AM3+ ATX

ASRock
970 Extreme4 AM3+ ATX

ASUS
M5A97 AM3+ ATX

Gigabyte
GA-970A-UD3 Socket AM3+ 970 ATX

I don't know *** about what motherboards to buy, but I will never buy Biostar again.
I figure I can buy this AMD processor that everyone loves to hate for REALLY CHEAP and get a motherboard that is good enough to plant two awesome graphics cards and upgrade my CPU when Piledriver or Excavator is cheaper.

RAM: 8GB of something cheap, I don't know what is good anymore

Graphics Card: Open to suggestions, would like to give myself the ability to SLI or Crossfire

Hard Drive: Have one.

DVD Drive: Have one.

Sound Card: I'm researching this.

PSU: I don't know how much I need

Case: I have an old Antec Sonata II, but I hate it with a serious passion so I would like something new.

So to wrap up: I want to play games and make trash music (taking music theory right now!)

More about : planning building computer pretty terrified

Best solution

February 29, 2012 5:55:27 AM

I would consider a 6950 or 6870 - they crossfire well, but are great solo too.

If you say you found a good deal on the 8120, go for it. otherwise i5-2400 will blow it away for cheaper retail.

ASRock is generally great bang for the buck.
February 29, 2012 6:15:22 AM

Thank you for the card advice :)  The 6870 looks like it would be great for my price range.

I haven't seen any evidence of the i5-2400 beating an 8120 :/ 

I guess the 125W on the CPU might be a little irritating as I haven't thought much about PSU + Case. I suppose I should ask for some help in that department as well.
m
l
Related resources
February 29, 2012 7:07:34 AM

metal orient said:
Quote:
I haven't seen any evidence of the i5-2400 beating an 8120

You have now:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-ben...

Interesting stuff. Well, I'm still going with the FX-8120 as BF3 and Metro were both unaffected by CPU performance. And I'm assuming 8 quasi-cores will allow me to run more programs in tandem than 4 cores.
m
l
February 29, 2012 12:55:27 PM

no pc can really "melt faces" on newest games for 600$
m
l
February 29, 2012 5:40:35 PM

xtremegamer2da-max said:
no pc can really "melt faces" on newest games for 600$

The PC isn't what melts faces, its the player. I am a bit afraid of having an underwhelming BF3 experience for 600$, but I'll still have an upgrade path for graphics -- with Crossfire still on the table. As long as I get a steady 60-100fps on CS:Source/Promod/Global Offensive, a steady 60-100fps on LoL, and I can play BF3 at low settings with ~60fps I will be happy as a clam :) .

Can anybody explain to me the specific types of PSU's for Crossfire? I'm bloody confused. Its like you need two 6+2 pin connectors or something and I just don't know.
m
l
March 12, 2012 7:33:12 PM

Best answer selected by ubersaurus.
m
l
!