timu

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2005

Any opinions? How does it compare to Fifa 2005 ? I tried it on the PS2 and
it looked pretty good, any improvements/changes for the xbox release ?

Does winning eleven 8 license player name from all the big clubs? I
thought that was the big knock against it. Who wants to play a soccer
game with Joe Blow as your teams striker?

Does Pro Evo have access to all the players names and likenesses?

"andrewv" <avanspronsen@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Does winning eleven 8 license player name from all the big clubs? I
> thought that was the big knock against it. Who wants to play a soccer
> game with Joe Blow as your teams striker?
>
> Does Pro Evo have access to all the players names and likenesses?

Neither do. And in terms of pissing on Fifa from a great distance, no
online means it could only piss on Fifa from in the same household.

Blacksmith

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2005

It pisses on Fifa from a great distance. Pro Evo 4 has Xbox Live support.

"timu" <jim@bob.bob.com> wrote in message news:cvh2fj$8b5$1@dns3.cae.ca...
> Any opinions? How does it compare to Fifa 2005 ? I tried it on the PS2 and
> it looked pretty good, any improvements/changes for the xbox release ?

> Does winning eleven 8 license player name from all the big clubs? I
> thought that was the big knock against it. Who wants to play a soccer
> game with Joe Blow as your teams striker?
>
> Does Pro Evo have access to all the players names and likenesses?

It has licenses for the Dutch, Italian and Spanish leagues. Most of the
others have real player names, but not real team names or uniforms. It's
easy to edit though.

"Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message

> "andrewv" <avanspronsen@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Does winning eleven 8 license player name from all the big clubs? I
>> thought that was the big knock against it. Who wants to play a soccer
>> game with Joe Blow as your teams striker?
>>
>> Does Pro Evo have access to all the players names and likenesses?
>>

> Neither do. And in terms of pissing on Fifa from a great distance, no
> online means it could only piss on Fifa from in the same household.

European version does have Live support. Most teams have the correct player
names and likenesses (a few exceptions) but only some countries (Italy and
Spain and some others I can't recall) have the official team names etc.

Blacksmith

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2005

"Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message

> "andrewv" <avanspronsen@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Does winning eleven 8 license player name from all the big clubs? I
>> thought that was the big knock against it. Who wants to play a soccer
>> game with Joe Blow as your teams striker?
>>
>> Does Pro Evo have access to all the players names and likenesses?
>>

> Neither do. And in terms of pissing on Fifa from a great distance, no
> online means it could only piss on Fifa from in the same household.

The European version does have Xbox Live, as I said. If you don't live in
Europe, then you get what you deserve. By the way, it's called 'football'.
Don't ever call it 'soccer' again.

"Blacksmith" <invalid@email.address> wrote in message
> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
>>
>> "andrewv" <avanspronsen@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Does winning eleven 8 license player name from all the big clubs? I
>>> thought that was the big knock against it. Who wants to play a soccer
>>> game with Joe Blow as your teams striker?
>>>
>>> Does Pro Evo have access to all the players names and likenesses?
>>>

>> Neither do. And in terms of pissing on Fifa from a great distance, no
>> online means it could only piss on Fifa from in the same household.
>
> The European version does have Xbox Live, as I said. If you don't live in
> Europe, then you get what you deserve. By the way, it's called
> 'football'. Don't ever call it 'soccer' again.

why incorporate LIVE for the US when only 3 people will use it?

"Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Blacksmith" <invalid@email.address> wrote in message
>> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "andrewv" <avanspronsen@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Neither do. And in terms of pissing on Fifa from a great distance, no
>>> online means it could only piss on Fifa from in the same household.
>>
>> The European version does have Xbox Live, as I said. If you don't live
>> in Europe, then you get what you deserve. By the way, it's called
>> 'football'. Don't ever call it 'soccer' again.
>>
> why incorporate LIVE for the US when only 3 people will use it?

Why make a "football" game for the US when ............?

I didn't call it soccer.

I also didn't know that the original poster was posting from Europe so until
he says he is, IT DOESN'T HAVE ONLINE.

timu

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2005

> "Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Blacksmith" <invalid@email.address> wrote in message
> >> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in
message

> >> The European version does have Xbox Live, as I said. If you don't live
> >> in Europe, then you get what you deserve. By the way, it's called
> >> 'football'. Don't ever call it 'soccer' again.
> >>
> > why incorporate LIVE for the US when only 3 people will use it?
> >

> Why make a "football" game for the US when ............?
>
> I didn't call it soccer.
>
> I also didn't know that the original poster was posting from Europe so
until
> he says he is, IT DOESN'T HAVE ONLINE.

Posting from Canada actually, no online for me I guess...

timu

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2005

"andrewv" <avanspronsen@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Does winning eleven 8 license player name from all the big clubs? I
> thought that was the big knock against it. Who wants to play a soccer
> game with Joe Blow as your teams striker?
>
> Does Pro Evo have access to all the players names and likenesses?

I think this will be the deciding factor for me, I don't wanna have to spend
time editing names and uniforms for the lesser known clubs...

timu

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2005

> It pisses on Fifa from a great distance. Pro Evo 4 has Xbox Live support.
>
> "timu" <jim@bob.bob.com> wrote in message news:cvh2fj$8b5$1@dns3.cae.ca...
> > Any opinions? How does it compare to Fifa 2005 ? I tried it on the PS2
and
> > it looked pretty good, any improvements/changes for the xbox release ?

Online play is not a big concern...

What about the game itself, I never had a chance to play fifa 2005...I'm
still surviving on a badly bruised copy of fifa 2003, squeezing out the last
few drops of useful work I guess...

Other than licenses and online, is there anything that would make one stand
out over the other ? Any cool tricks, designing set plays, variety of
strategies, etc...

How about difficulty, fifa 2003 was challenging at first but it didnt take
me too long to get accustomed to the world class level...how do fifa 2005
and winning eleven compare in that respect ?

Blacksmith

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2005

"timu" <jim@bob.bob.com> wrote in message news:cvjh4b$74q$1@dns3.cae.ca...

> "andrewv" <avanspronsen@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Does winning eleven 8 license player name from all the big clubs? I
>> thought that was the big knock against it. Who wants to play a soccer
>> game with Joe Blow as your teams striker?
>>
>> Does Pro Evo have access to all the players names and likenesses?
>>

> I think this will be the deciding factor for me, I don't wanna have to
> spend
> time editing names and uniforms for the lesser known clubs...

If your deciding factor for a 'soccer' game is the player names and
likenesses, then you probably won't be interested, or deserving, of a copy
of Winning Eleven.

You're probably after brain dead monotony and laughable ball physics. So
stick with Fifa.

> "timu" <jim@bob.bob.com> wrote in message news:cvjh4b$74q$1@dns3.cae.ca...
>>
>> "andrewv" <avanspronsen@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Does winning eleven 8 license player name from all the big clubs? I
>>> thought that was the big knock against it. Who wants to play a soccer
>>> game with Joe Blow as your teams striker?
>>>
>>> Does Pro Evo have access to all the players names and likenesses?
>>>

>> I think this will be the deciding factor for me, I don't wanna have to
>> spend
>> time editing names and uniforms for the lesser known clubs...
>>

> If your deciding factor for a 'soccer' game is the player names and
> likenesses, then you probably won't be interested, or deserving, of a copy
> of Winning Eleven.
>
> You're probably after brain dead monotony and laughable ball physics. So
> stick with Fifa.

You football elitists are so funny. The reviewers don't share your "light
years ahead of Fifa" view anymore.

Blacksmith

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2005

"timu" <jim@bob.bob.com> wrote in message news:cvm5qj$iv3$1@dns3.cae.ca...

> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
>>
>> "Blacksmith" <invalid@email.address> wrote in message
>> > "timu" <jim@bob.bob.com> wrote in message

>> > If your deciding factor for a 'soccer' game is the player names and
>> > likenesses, then you probably won't be interested, or deserving, of a
> copy
>> > of Winning Eleven.
>> >
>> > You're probably after brain dead monotony and laughable ball physics.
> So
>> > stick with Fifa.
>> >

>> You football elitists are so funny. The reviewers don't share your
>> "light
>> years ahead of Fifa" view anymore.

well not light years, just many years...

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/920608.asp?q=fifa%202005

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/921668.asp?q=pro%20evolution

enjoy.

> "timu" <jim@bob.bob.com> wrote in message news:cvm5qj$iv3$1@dns3.cae.ca...
>>
>> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Blacksmith" <invalid@email.address> wrote in message

>> copy

>> So
>>> >

>>> You football elitists are so funny. The reviewers don't share your
>>> "light
>>> years ahead of Fifa" view anymore.
>>>

> well not light years, just many years...
>
> http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/920608.asp?q=fifa%202005
>
> http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/921668.asp?q=pro%20evolution
>
> enjoy.

Not trying to be funny but did you notice that the extremely ratings of
winning 11 are mostly from European sources. Most mainstream mags and sites
rated them a lot closer than the 8% you are referring to.

> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message

>> You might want to do check your own links a little better.
>
> Rearrange these words into a well known sentence.

I don't know, what is a "well known sentence"? If you are going to flame a
typo, please make sure that what you say in response makes sense.

>> XBM UK, Eurogamer, Official Xbox Magazine UK, Gaming Headlines UK,
>> Videogames NZ, Gamepro AU, Gamecell UK, Xbox World Mag UK, Xbox Gamer mag
>> UK make up a significant portion of the the ratings of which you speak
>> for W11 and it is no secret to anyone that they are not very fond of FIFA
>> in the UK. There is no such discrepancy with the American reviews
>> because most of the American sites haven't even posted a review for this
>> game. Make this argument using the scores of IGN, Gamespot, Gamespy,
>> Gamepro, Official Xbox Magazine, Official PS2 Magazine, Computer Gaming
>> Monthly, etc. and then I will accept it. Having a bunch of obscure UK
>> reviews to support W11's dominance makes no sense whatsoever.
>

> Here's IGN's score for Winning Eleven 8/Pro Evo 4:
>
> http://xbox.ign.com/articles/584/584290p1.html
>
> 9.4 from IGN, press average of 8.9.
>
> and here is Fifa 2005:
>
> http://xbox.ign.com/articles/555/555915p1.html
>
> oh look, an 8.6 from IGN, and press average of 8.0.
>
> That should cover all the magazines you mentioned.

You are absofreakinlutely right. The IGN review covers every magazine that
I mentioned. Thanks.

Blacksmith

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2005

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sentence

>>> XBM UK, Eurogamer, Official Xbox Magazine UK, Gaming Headlines UK,
>>> Videogames NZ, Gamepro AU, Gamecell UK, Xbox World Mag UK, Xbox Gamer
>>> mag UK make up a significant portion of the the ratings of which you
>>> speak for W11 and it is no secret to anyone that they are not very fond
>>> of FIFA in the UK. There is no such discrepancy with the American
>>> reviews because most of the American sites haven't even posted a review
>>> for this game. Make this argument using the scores of IGN, Gamespot,
>>> Gamespy, Gamepro, Official Xbox Magazine, Official PS2 Magazine,
>>> Computer Gaming Monthly, etc. and then I will accept it. Having a bunch
>>> of obscure UK reviews to support W11's dominance makes no sense
>>> whatsoever.
>>

>> Here's IGN's score for Winning Eleven 8/Pro Evo 4:
>>
>> http://xbox.ign.com/articles/584/584290p1.html
>>
>> 9.4 from IGN, press average of 8.9.
>>
>> and here is Fifa 2005:
>>
>> http://xbox.ign.com/articles/555/555915p1.html
>>
>> oh look, an 8.6 from IGN, and press average of 8.0.
>>
>> That should cover all the magazines you mentioned.
>>

> You are absofreakinlutely right. The IGN review covers every magazine
> that I mentioned. Thanks.

Only glad I could help.

> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
>>
>> "Blacksmith" <invalid@email.address> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in
>>> message news:tf-dnbP5BLE55b3fRVn-qQ@comcast.com...

>>> Rearrange these words into a well known sentence.
>>
>> I don't know, what is a "well known sentence"? If you are going to flame
>> a typo, please make sure that what you say in response makes sense.
>>

> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sentence

Wow genius, that answered everything. Where exactly did it explain "well
known" sentence or is that something in the UK?

>>> Here's IGN's score for Winning Eleven 8/Pro Evo 4:
>>>
>>> http://xbox.ign.com/articles/584/584290p1.html
>>>
>>> 9.4 from IGN, press average of 8.9.
>>>
>>> and here is Fifa 2005:
>>>
>>> http://xbox.ign.com/articles/555/555915p1.html
>>>
>>> oh look, an 8.6 from IGN, and press average of 8.0.
>>>
>>> That should cover all the magazines you mentioned.
>>>

>> You are absofreakinlutely right. The IGN review covers every magazine
>> that I mentioned. Thanks.
>
> Only glad I could help.

Blacksmith

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2005

"Blacksmith" <invalid@email.address> wrote in message

> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
>>
>> "Blacksmith" <invalid@email.address> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in
>>> message news:tf-dnbP5BLE55b3fRVn-qQ@comcast.com...

>>> Rearrange these words into a well known sentence.
>>
>> I don't know, what is a "well known sentence"? If you are going to flame
>> a typo, please make sure that what you say in response makes sense.
>>

> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sentence

>>> Here's IGN's score for Winning Eleven 8/Pro Evo 4:
>>>
>>> http://xbox.ign.com/articles/584/584290p1.html
>>>
>>> 9.4 from IGN, press average of 8.9.
>>>
>>> and here is Fifa 2005:
>>>
>>> http://xbox.ign.com/articles/555/555915p1.html
>>>
>>> oh look, an 8.6 from IGN, and press average of 8.0.
>>>
>>> That should cover all the magazines you mentioned.
>>>

>> You are absofreakinlutely right. The IGN review covers every magazine
>> that I mentioned. Thanks.
>
> Only glad I could help.

wait! It didn't cover 'Official PS2 Magazine'!!
You would of thought an Xbox site would of covered that. Boy is my face
red.

Blacksmith

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2005

> "Blacksmith" <invalid@email.address> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Blacksmith" <invalid@email.address> wrote in message

>>> I don't know, what is a "well known sentence"? If you are going to
>>> flame a typo, please make sure that what you say in response makes
>>> sense.
>>>

>> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sentence
>
> Wow genius, that answered everything. Where exactly did it explain "well
> known" sentence or is that something in the UK?

Something in the UK.