Upgrade CPU or graphics?

bluehowell

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
hello, I have an athlon II x2 260 and a radeon hd 5750, I have enough money to upgrade one component. The CPU upgrade will be to a phenom II x4 965 and the graphics card will be to a radeon hd 7770. Can i please get some advice on which would be a better upgrade to spend my money on, I mainly use my computer for gaming

5teviewonders

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
I currently have the same processor. I upgraded my gpu from a gtx 560 ti to a gtx 580 and the cpu was so much of a bottleneck that there was only a slight boost in pcmark and 3dmark vantage scores. I'm now upgrading the cpu as well.

mubin

Distinguished
Just updating one component will give you few improve. Updating cpu+gpu at a time will be the best option. Keep money and save more for both cpu and gpu.

If you upgrade to new cpu, you will not get extra benefit for hd5750. 5750 will slow you down. If you upgrade to new gpu you will get extra benefit in some games which is less cpu intensive. So choose it wisely.

Or you can upgrade one component and other later. Gpu for now and cpu later.

mubin

Distinguished

Witcher 2, gta4. These are heavily cpu intensive game i experience personally. Skyrim, dragon age, mass effect 3 are less cpu intensive. Dirt3, Battlefield 3 in not a cpu intensive at all in singleplayer mode.