Solved

AMD FX-8150 8 Core Black Edition OR Fx-6100 6 Core?

I am building a gaming rig and I need to know if I should go for the FX 8 Core, which retails at $200 or just buy the 6 Core, for $130. I won't be doing hardcore stuff like HD video editing and I don't think that I need 8 cores. I realize that most games run on 4 cores only, but I still think 6 Cores is good to have. In fact, this is the one I want to buy, I am just not sure if it will affect performance. I am only going to be playing games like GTA 4 and other games released around that era. Thanks for all your support,

Tim
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 8150 core black edition 6100 core
  1. i dont really know much about AMD cpu's but i know that 8 cores is overkill, and so is 6 TBH, most games only use 2 cores with the exception of a few that use 4 cores for multiplayer, if i was in your situation i would seriously consider getting an i5 3570k

for an extra $20 -
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

it will be far better than both of the other CPU's for gaming.
  2. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=288

have a look at the games at the bottom.
  3. Best answer
    to put bluntly, a core i5 2500k or higher would be better for gaming unless you already possess an amd chipset motherboard. fx8150 chokes current gfx cards in gaming, fx 6xxx does it worse. a 2500k+gtx670 would be quite powerful for latest games.
    if you must get an fx cpu, then yes, the fx 8150 would be the better buy.
  4. Best answer selected by greendayxx66.
  5. de5_Roy said:
    to put bluntly, a core i5 2500k or higher would be better for gaming unless you already possess an amd chipset motherboard. fx8150 chokes current gfx cards in gaming, fx 6xxx does it worse. a 2500k+gtx670 would be quite powerful for latest games.
    if you must get an fx cpu, then yes, the fx 8150 would be the better buy.

Alright, thanks, I will probably get the i5 CPU and motherboard o go along with it.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Games Product