M5A99X evo w/ AMD FX 4100, wont post, CPU led solid red

Login84

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Hey guys, was hoping to get some thoughts on my situation.
First off, specs:

MOBO = Asus m5a99x evo
CPU = AMD FX 4100 Black
RAM = G. Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb
PSU = Corsair TX650 (650w)
GPU = Have to double check (system at a friend's house), but I know it's 100% functional.

Long story short, I built myself a PC a couple weeks ago via Newegg, and managed to get a couple drops of coffee into the case that managed to cross the entire back of the motherboard (just 1 dribble). Unfortunately the PC was powered on, and it took a good 10 full seconds before I even realized anything got into it and pulled the plug. All of the fans starting spinning full speed all of a sudden, which clued me in to the fact it got hit :(
I cleaned what little residue I could find and let it dry for a full 3 days just to make sure. Power it on, get absolutely no response except for the green LED on the mobo, and fans operating for a fraction of a second.
I was able to test all components except for the CPU and PSU under full load. I did the paperclip test on the PSU and it worked, so it's not 100% dead. The CPU was 100% clean, no bent pins, no scorches, nothing. Motherboard was definitely fried, got it RMAed and received a replacement a day or 2 ago.
Great! Set it all back up with the new Mobo, fires up and all fans start spinning full speed (just like when it got zapped), wont post, CPU LED is solid red :(
Reseated and re applied thermal paste to CPU, same thing. Inspected with magnifying glass and light, still looks like new.
Of course, my first assumption is that the CPU got taken out with the motherboard. I do not have access to another mobo with an AM3+ socket, so unfortunately I can't properly test the chip.
I guess my question is, could these symptoms be caused by a faulty power supply, or is it most likely the CPU? The fact there is absolutely no signs of damage to the chip is what gets me, no coffee got even close to the CPU area of the mobo. If the mobo shorts out, can that cause "invisible" internal damage to the CPU?
Thanks!

PS, I did double and even triple check all connections, breadboarded, and all that good stuff. Same result every time. The CPU/heatsink didnt get warm at all.

dennis2405

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

i think your "new board has an old BIOS wich doesn't support your CPU. Any way i have the Crosshair V and the FX-8150, somtimes after flashing the BIOS to a newer version I have the same problem as you. For me it helps to use a Phenom II X4 CPU and boot once and switch back to the FX. I donnu why this works imo why this some times happends......