Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Pc Won't Power Up

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 29, 2011 2:05:46 PM

Hi,

I was having intermittent problems with my pc that I attributed to my graphics card an Nvidia 8400 GS ( I think an old version with 128MB) My screen was showing little colored dots and dashes all over the place and on boot up similar looking lines of dots and dashes only all of them were white. I went and purchased a new graphics card, I didn't want anything fancy or pricey. I saw a GeForce 8400 GS at my local PCworld and bought that. On the box it says 8400 GS 512MB DDR2 HDMI.

I can't remember the exact spec of the pc that won't power up as I obviously cannot access that information....but I recall that It has a 300w power supply, I am assuming that the spec should be sufficient for this new card as the old one was a GeForce 8400 GS also albeit with 128MB and not 512MB.

My pc is a medion desktop. The new card looks securely in place, so i don't think its a connection problem that is causing the pc not to power up.....I would be greatful for any advice offered here guys/gals. One thing i did notice was that the new graphics card doesn't appear to have a fan, just a sorta metal slated thing where the fan was on the old card :??: 

More about : power

a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2011 2:25:51 PM

There's no obvious reason your computer would not power up unless your forgot to turn your power supply switch back on.
December 29, 2011 2:42:09 PM

No, the power supply was switched on. I just this minute put my old card back in and this time it powered up (no monitor attached) but it gave of some 'beebs' I haven't heard before....A beeb lasting a second or so....then silence...then another beep lasting a second or so....and this continuiosly until i powered it off.

I have never changed a graphic card before so maybe I am missing something...any ideas?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2011 3:03:30 PM

It's as simple as pulling the old one out and putting the new one in. Unless you unplugged something by accident of your ram isn't seated properly or the new video card isn't seated properly in the slot.
December 29, 2011 3:25:58 PM

Yep, that's what I was told.....that it was simple....BUT....It's turning into a nightmare. I have just put the new card in again....and again it will not power up....no fan turning , no power light on...nothing. When I re-install the old card....The pc will power up, albeit emmitting bleeps....Something isn't right somewhere.
December 29, 2011 5:14:41 PM

Well I have had this card in three times and three times my pc has failed to power up....after each try, I tried re-installing my old card and the pc powered up each time with the old card......This has me stumped! Both cards are Nvidea GeForce 8400 GS albeit the new card is a newer version (I presume?) It's also 512MB while the old one was only 112MB.....Any one any ideas?
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2011 6:18:24 PM

Dastardley said:
Well I have had this card in three times and three times my pc has failed to power up....after each try, I tried re-installing my old card and the pc powered up each time with the old card......This has me stumped! Both cards are Nvidea GeForce 8400 GS albeit the new card is a newer version (I presume?) It's also 512MB while the old one was only 112MB.....Any one any ideas?

Sorry , no.
Have a little story;
Guy calls up after hours; my graphics card died, I need help immediately.
I've got an 8400GS PCI you can you have, need it installed ?
No, I can install a graphics card
2 hours later
Hey this card doesn't work
Sure it works, was using the machine it came out of earlier today
( get ready for it )
Well I have had this card in three times and three times my pc has failed to power up....after each try, I tried re-installing my old card and the pc powered up each time with the old card
What slot did you put it in ?
The black one
I told you it's a PCI card, that means it's not a PCIe card.

What kind of card do you have ?
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2011 6:42:23 PM

Maybe your new card isn't any good. THat happens.
December 29, 2011 8:02:56 PM

delluser1 said:
Sorry , no.
Have a little story;
Guy calls up after hours; my graphics card died, I need help immediately.
I've got an 8400GS PCI you can you have, need it installed ?
No, I can install a graphics card
2 hours later
Hey this card doesn't work
Sure it works, was using the machine it came out of earlier today
( get ready for it )
Well I have had this card in three times and three times my pc has failed to power up....after each try, I tried re-installing my old card and the pc powered up each time with the old card
What slot did you put it in ?
The black one
I told you it's a PCI card, that means it's not a PCIe card.

What kind of card do you have ?


Thanks for the reply, The new card is PCIe (because it says it on the box) The old one I don't know....but I only have one x16 graphic slot on my pc and both cards fit in it....I am led to believe that a PCI card would not fit into a PCIe slot and vice-versa?
December 29, 2011 8:04:45 PM

jsc said:
Maybe your new card isn't any good. THat happens.


I haven't another pc on which to try it unfortunately, I'm typing this on a laptop.
December 29, 2011 8:14:22 PM

I once had a problem with my computer not booting, it was after changing my mobo over however, and i fixed it by removing components then putting them back in one by one until it started, hope this helps
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2011 8:24:09 PM

Maybe your PSU is having problems. Just because it "advertises" 300W, does not mean it will reliably give you up to 300W at any time, for 100 years. That would explain why with the same chip, but different RAM, it behaves differently. Unfortunately, that is connected to every other component not plugged in the MB, so changing it does require a little more expertise (at least watching a few times someone doing it).

PS: I seem to have pretty much posts about "check your PSU", but that's because an aging PSU can make anything malfunction.
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2011 8:38:34 PM

nzl_jason c said:
I once had a problem with my computer not booting, it was after changing my mobo over however, and i fixed it by removing components then putting them back in one by one until it started, hope this helps


He removed a video card and then put another in, and then repeated. No it doesn't help. lol
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2011 8:39:23 PM

Couldn't tell ya man. If the psu powers the old one it should power the new one.
December 30, 2011 3:32:22 PM

**UPDATE** On contacting my PC Manafacturers support (Medion) and explaining the problem, I recieved this prompt response (4 hours). I thought i would post it here in full, should any non technically minded guy like me encounter a similar problem. I ordered a 500W OCZ PSU and hopefully It should arrive tomorrow. I will post again and let you know if this indeed fixes my graphic card problem......hangover allowing that will be Monday at the earliest. Happy New Year to you all! :) 


MEDION SUPPORT REPLY:

Quote:
After reviewing your previous email with regards to the new graphics card being installed, the reason why the unit will not power on is due to the wattage of your PSU (300W). In addition to all the other components contained inside the computer using this power, the graphics card is working off the same PSU aswell and therefore totally wattage will equate to over 300W thus becoming unresponsive when attempting to power the unit on. I would recommend obtaining a greater wattage power supply unit, preferably 400-450W. I hope this helps the situation you are experiencing and wish you the best for 2012.
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2011 3:41:24 PM

Dastardley said:
**UPDATE** On contacting my PC Manafacturers support (Medion) and explaining the problem, I recieved this prompt response (4 hours). I thought i would post it here in full, should any non technically minded guy like me encounter a similar problem. I ordered a 500W OCZ PSU and hopefully It should arrive tomorrow. I will post again and let you know if this indeed fixes my graphic card problem......hangover allowing that will be Monday at the earliest. Happy New Year to you all! :) 


MEDION SUPPORT REPLY:

Quote:
After reviewing your previous email with regards to the new graphics card being installed, the reason why the unit will not power on is due to the wattage of your PSU (300W). In addition to all the other components contained inside the computer using this power, the graphics card is working off the same PSU aswell and therefore totally wattage will equate to over 300W thus becoming unresponsive when attempting to power the unit on. I would recommend obtaining a greater wattage power supply unit, preferably 400-450W. I hope this helps the situation you are experiencing and wish you the best for 2012.

They are fos
December 30, 2011 4:01:52 PM

delluser1 said:
They are fos


You may be correct, once i change over the PSU we will both know for sure.....If it doesn't work.....Then maybe they are fos. If it does work....I wont g2f's.....I will be happy that my problem is solved. :sol: 
December 31, 2011 3:47:33 PM

**FURTHER UPDATE**

I installed the new 500 watt PSU today (without too much trouble) inserted the video card in the PCI-E slot and again my pc refused to power on.....Removed the new Graphic card...and the PC powered ok.....Re:installed the old graphics card and the PC Powered up with no problem......I am now wondering if I have been unlucky and have a faulty new graphic card.....If this is the case how do I stand taking this back to the store for a refund/replacement/......I bought it from PCWorld.


Quote:
delluser1 wrote :


They are fos



seems you are correct. :pt1cable: 
!