Fix magenta in E-300??

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 2, 2005 9:44:09 AM

I find that greens photographed by my Oly E-300 have a very slight
magenta cast. Otherwise, all other colors seem very accurate.

Does anyone have any experience with this, and tips on what to do? Any
in-camera adjustments that would help? I can generally fix up with PE
3.0 but really like to get what I shoot in the first place. I hope Oly
knows about this and does something in a fireware upgrade.

Thanks.

More about : fix magenta 300

June 2, 2005 11:49:09 PM

RK wrote:

> I find that greens photographed by my Oly E-300 have a very slight
> magenta cast. Otherwise, all other colors seem very accurate.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this, and tips on what to do? Any
> in-camera adjustments that would help?

What WB setting are you using? Using auto WB is asking for issues like this.

Best to shoot RAW and deal with any WB issues in developing the RAW file
anyway.

--

Stacey
June 3, 2005 2:11:29 AM

Thanks for that advice. I've tried WB shifts and still have some
problems, but perhaps I have to fine tune that a bit more. Yes, I do
tend to keep it on auto. I have made adjustments in post processing, but
there are many situations in which I don't want to shoot raw. If my
other cameras do accurate greens I would hope this one would as well I
guess. So, I'll take your advice on WB and practice till I get it right.

Stacey wrote:

> RK wrote:
>

>>I find that greens photographed by my Oly E-300 have a very slight
>>magenta cast. Otherwise, all other colors seem very accurate.
>>
>>Does anyone have any experience with this, and tips on what to do? Any
>>in-camera adjustments that would help?
>

> What WB setting are you using? Using auto WB is asking for issues like this.
>
> Best to shoot RAW and deal with any WB issues in developing the RAW file
> anyway.

June 3, 2005 2:39:37 AM

Ron wrote:

> Thanks for that advice. I've tried WB shifts and still have some
> problems, but perhaps I have to fine tune that a bit more. Yes, I do
> tend to keep it on auto. I have made adjustments in post processing, but
> there are many situations in which I don't want to shoot raw. If my
> other cameras do accurate greens I would hope this one would as well I
> guess. So, I'll take your advice on WB and practice till I get it right.

I've found shooting in daylight (or flash indoors), just use the 5300K
preset (not auto) and it's going to be -real- close.. The auto WB on this
camera isn't the greatest, they should have used an external sensor like
they did on the E1..

BTW which firmware are you using? 1.2 was supposed to address -some- of
those issues. I'd still use the 5300K preset for most outdoor shooting.

--

Stacey
Anonymous

Thanks. I have the 1.2 firmware and perhaps it is a tad better, but
will go out today and do some testing at the 5300 setting. Frankly,
while I really like the camera and am getting some stunning results
(including with my old Pentax K lenses), I've found the exposure system
and accuracy a bit strange, particularly compared to my 5060 and even
560, both of which I often find more reliable.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 9:42:33 AM

RK wrote:
> I find that greens photographed by my Oly E-300 have a very slight
> magenta cast. Otherwise, all other colors seem very accurate.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this, and tips on what to do? Any
> in-camera adjustments that would help? I can generally fix up with PE
> 3.0 but really like to get what I shoot in the first place. I hope Oly
> knows about this and does something in a fireware upgrade.
>
> Thanks.

You might find the camera has nothing to do with the colour cast.
Shift to magenta is often caused by doubling up on printer drivers.

--
Douglas...
It's traditional, painter's use it, Rembrandt used it.

RK wrote:

> Thanks. I have the 1.2 firmware and perhaps it is a tad better, but
> will go out today and do some testing at the 5300 setting. Frankly,
> while I really like the camera and am getting some stunning results
> (including with my old Pentax K lenses), I've found the exposure system
> and accuracy a bit strange, particularly compared to my 5060 and even
> 560, both of which I often find more reliable.

Yea I'm not real impressed with the exposure system, especially the ESP
metering, I use either center or spot for most shots.
--

Stacey
!