Sign in with
Your question

DRAW distance graphic problem

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 29, 2011 4:53:53 PM

Hi there guys, I am from czech rep, so I just can say sorry for my nub english . So lets start...
This is my new PC
- CPU Intel Core i5 2500K
- RAM Kingston HyperX XMP 2x4GB DDR3, 1600 MHz, CL9
- CORSAIR CMPSU-600CXV2EU, 600W
- MB Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H, sc.1155, ATX (B3)
- VGA ATI Gigabyte HD6970, 2GB DDR5, DVI, PCI-e
- MON LCD 24", Acer P246HAbmid (5ms, 50000:1, HDMI)

Now the problem.. All strategies (such as Anno 1404) running absolutely perfect all times in all aspects...
But. Assassins Creed 2 is completly other story and its mayby problem for other games too. The best discription can provide my video I put on youtube.. Watch it in best quallity fullscreen... Rlly tell me, is that "drawing behaviour" normal ?

http://youtu.be/51ypT68uRcM

More about : draw distance graphic problem

a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2011 5:15:50 PM

It seems to be a normal scene. I haven´t seen anything wrong with polignos not rendering at any distance, or are you talking about the green area on the roof?
December 29, 2011 6:10:28 PM

Jemm: not that..

Ok I am also adding results of graphic benchmarks.. Sure for all test everything is runing smoothly, without any artefacts or any other graphic problem...

p.s.: In video I added a note -> just watch that house in front of Ezio (you have to watch it in 1080p, fullscreen to see it for sure).
Its just like game changing graphic details (when I move closer to objects) from very low back to ultra high.. This "distance draw" problem is rlly pissing me off :-(.

3D Mark 2006 default

SM 2.0 Score: 9452
HDR/SM3.0 Score: 12040
CPU Score: 6025

3D Mark 2006 => 1920 * 1080, 8 sample AA and Anti-Aliasing quality 2, Anisotropic Filtering 16*

SM2.0 Score: 6286
HDR/SM3.0 Score: 6503
CPU Score 5997

3D Mark 2011

Performance -> P5515 (Graphic score 5331, Physics Score 6607, Combined Score 5577)

3D Mark 2011

Extreme -> X1827 (Graphic score 1657, Physics Score 6678, Combined Score 2029)
Related resources
December 29, 2011 7:11:56 PM

And.. I added also second video, where that graphic problem is very evident... (again, you have to see it in max quality (1080p) and in fullscreen mode). But here is very simple to see it also normal way.

http://youtu.be/jNVdogKPzdI
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2011 7:37:14 PM

These are just "game design" problems. It's the game, not the card. Thank the game devs for optimizing for console, where you don't have configurable quality controls.
The 1st video seems to be a LOD setting, where a polygon is rendered with 1 of 2 or more textures with different resolutions depending on polygon distance and angle (that is if the polygon itself does not change) or even scene LOD, where the game presents simpler "objects" (nr. of polygons) for distance objects, and the distance is too low for your screen resolution.
The 2nd video seems to be a shadow issue, which I would blame again on the game which could disable the shadows at distance (scene LOD).
LOD=level of detail.
December 29, 2011 7:53:55 PM

Thank you man, it helps very much :-).. I thought it has something to do with a game, not hardware (when I consider strategies, or WoW runing perfectly). I just need to test it on other games, sadly, there are not so much (new) silmilar games where I could test this thing/problem. I just tested also Skyrim and, well. Its kinda better, but yet, I have this.. hmm.. feeling, that on larger scales (distances), the detail level is again kinda low, kinda smudgy.
Only one thing that is surprising me, when I checked my card drivers and such is this... I see card specification (6970) -> Memory clock [MHz]: 5500, but.. Catalyst shows me Memory Clock in MHz: 1375...
Core clok in MHz is ok -> 880 (specifications and also drivers shows the same number)
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2011 9:28:20 PM

DennyZuko said:
Only one thing that is surprising me, when I checked my card drivers and such is this... I see card specification (6970) -> Memory clock [MHz]: 5500, but.. Catalyst shows me Memory Clock in MHz: 1375...
Core clok in MHz is ok -> 880 (specifications and also drivers shows the same number)

Actually the specification is memory I/O bus clock instead of memory clock. 5500=1375*4. This is a big RAM misinformation (technical vs marketing), because the data bus is fed 4 data signals for every memory clock transition (so there is a 4x bus clock, but it's used only for data). The same misinformations are used for system RAM. Check wikipedia for DDR3 and you will see a nice table with "marketing name", "memory clock", "I/O clock" and "data rate".
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2011 9:31:47 AM

As mathew7 pointed out in the 2nd video, it is a shadown problem. However I think it isn´t a LOD related issue, as it isn´t a sculpted or mesh object, but just a normal object (wall). It seems to be more a global ilumination issue, as it changes as you get closer to it.
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2011 11:13:57 AM

jemm said:
As mathew7 popinted out in the 2nd video, it is a shadown problem. However I think it isn´t a LOD related issue, as it isn´t a sculpted or mesh object, but just a normal object (wall). It seems to be more a global ilumination issue, as it changes as you get closer to it.

But the illumination distance is controlled by the game, not by GPU. The GPU knows "apply shadow for this". It's the game that tells it what "this" is. So like I said, it's "scene LOD", not "GPU LOD" (=texture LOD).
Oh, and what is the difference between a "sculpted or mesh" object and "normal object (wall)" to the GPU? Unless tesselation is involved (in case of mesh), the GPU does not know the difference.
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2011 12:59:07 PM

mathew7 said:
But the illumination distance is controlled by the game, not by GPU. The GPU knows "apply shadow for this". It's the game that tells it what "this" is. So like I said, it's "scene LOD", not "GPU LOD" (=texture LOD).
Oh, and what is the difference between a "sculpted or mesh" object and "normal object (wall)" to the GPU? Unless tesselation is involved (in case of mesh), the GPU does not know the difference.

I haven´t said "illumination distance", but Global Illumination, which is a different thing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_illumination

As for the difference between objects you´ve answered it by yourself, eh?

a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2011 1:23:55 PM

jemm said:
I haven´t said "illumination distance", but Global Illumination, which is a different thing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_illumination

Ok..."illumination distance" is not a good term. I meant "shadow distance" which is part of the scene LOD. Since the game devs chose to save GPU performance and stop applying shadows after a certain range.
jemm said:
As for the difference between objects you´ve answered it by yourself, eh?

What do you mean? Tesselation is just an optimization, not a radical rendering change. It happens in early stages, so once it's done, the later stages see no difference if the data came prepared from CPU or GPU. Oh, and "in case of mesh" should not be treated as "all meshes use tesselation".

a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2011 6:43:41 PM

I think it difficult to keep myself in this thread as people keep editing post and messing the meaning up.
September 10, 2012 10:53:10 PM

yes pal and i am having same problem with some games like the saboteur and assassins creed (2 & 3)
although these games and others are running very good with almost max settings
my specs : core2duo 3.4 6mb
4gb ddr3 zeppelin
p5g41 motherboard
hd 6770 1gb ddr5
win 7 64x . with all softwares up to date
i run games in 1280x1024
looks like problem is related to drawing distance or something like artifacts and textures load
i wish to have this solved
thanx
a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2012 11:15:42 PM

What are your AF settings? not sure but would it have anything to do with that?

Edit: :lol:  just saw the date the OP posted!
!