bsprawka

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I recently installed a new pioneer cd/dvd and my computer won't play audio cd's anymore. i have heard of people having problems with winME and media player, but win amp won't even play them. I figured I put the audio out cord in the wrong way but I tried all 4 different ways and nothing works. Any suggestions.

Does anybody know which way is the correct way to put the audio cord in. I know nothing about electricity so if you could tell me which color cord is what and what the white cord is. Or even better, if you could tell me if the metal side faces the opening or the flat side. thanks.

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
The audio cords only attach one way so unless you are just chucking common sense out the window and jamming the adapter in, I am pretty sure you are inserting them correctly. (although when you say you have tried all 4 ways I kind of wonder)

I had the same problem when switching from a standard CD drive to a DVD drive, problem was, now my audio was being transmitted through the digital audio cable (2 pin) not the analog (4 pin), simply attaching the digital audio cable and unmuting it in the Windows audio control applet resolved that problem.

If your digital audio cable is not attached, attach it. (Assuming your soundcard has that interface of course)

bsprawka

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My sound card does not have that interface, all i have is the 4 pin analog. Does that mean I need a new sound card? By 4 ways I meant you can put one plug in two ways (upside down or not) and there are two outlets making a total of 4 different options. Not the most scientifi procedure but I figured it was foolproof.

So I guess I may need a new soundcard. It is the only thing left from my quantex system I bought over 3 years ago. Oh well. Please reply accordingly, thanks for your post.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Wow.

The only two audio adapters/plugs I know of on sound cards nowadays are the 1/8 inch audio and the component 1/4 inch.

Can you give us a name of the card, or a physical description of the plug?

bsprawka

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I believe it is a creative lab sound blaster ensonique 1371. Or something very similar to that. It is a cheap sound card from an OEM system. The plug has 4 female pins. The middle two are just grounding I beleive. I am not sure what the outside two are, but one is white and one is color. They used to work on my old cd-rom but since I got a DVD my computer freezes when I try to play an audio cd or it just plays squeaky crap. Thanks for all of your help.

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
yeah, that is the standard analog cd audio cable interface, you need to have a two pin digital cd audio cable (check the back of your DVD drive, you will see the jack there, right next to the four pinner).

Pretty sure that is why you do not get any CD audio, try using the Windows CD player until youget a new sound card, that was the one app that would play CD's without that cable attached, do not ask me why, that is just the only program that had CD audio output without the two pin digital CD audio cable attached.

ejsmith2, this is on the actual board itself, not the outputs/inputs etc. on the bracket, accessible from outside the case, the thin cable connecting your CD/DVD to your sound card on the interior.

bsprawka

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for all of your help. Unfortunately, I don't think I have the windows CD player. It is not in WinME or at least not accesible after you install WinMediaPlayer 7 since it has a cd player. Oh well I will get another sound card this summer. Until then I can always use my stereo. thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS