flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Not sure if we've had someone ask such questions here before, and I didn't know where else to post it so people would see, so here it is. I'll admit I don't know very much about projectors, and we're seriously considering getting a nice projector or something like that 63" Plasma (the projector happens to be cheaper tho, and given that we can devote an entire room just for it, it looks to provide the best experience w/ my JBL SCS150). Anyways, I've seen some with the Texas Instruments DLP tech, but it's really annoying in that anyone my eyes twitch or I move em side to side, the rgb looks as if it "comes apart" so for example a person will not have a normal skin color, but it turn to red or green or blue. To confirm it wasn't just me, I asked several other people to move their eyes side to side, and they too noticed it. So are there other good projectors out there you would reccomend that don't use this DLP (it drives me insane when I see that annoying effect)?

Hilbert space is a big place.

Mortallus

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2003
That's odd that you notice that effect so easily. I work in a high end A/V shop, and very very few people can see the color separation like that. Other than LCOS, DLP is probably the clearest and brightest picture I've seen (which of course is a matter of opinion) for large rear PTV's and front projectors. DLP can tend to be a little bit blue in the whites though.

Out of curiousity, what type of input were you watching when you noticed the color problem?

My suggestion would be LCOS. Toshiba is producing a "Cinema Series" projection set with that technology, capable of displaying a resolution of 1080p. You may or may not be able to find Front Projectors using the LCOS technology, it's still relativly new. Marantz also makes some very nice front projectors, but they tend to be pricey. Sorry for the long winded response.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I was watching some dvd movie, the name escapes me (it was at a family friend's house and he was showing off his "100 inch TV") Thing is that I notice it almost constantly, and have to even force myself in order not to notice it. You think this could also have something to do with being able to still notice refresh rates of 75-100Hz? I'll look more in depth on how DLP works and will see if I can draw something from that.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Hmm, looking at some stuff now I can see how they would be connected. Do you think I would still notice this effect if 3 dmd chips were used like in larger systems? It seems this "color wheel" is what causes the problem.

Hilbert space is a big place.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by flamethrower205 on 04/26/03 01:14 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Mortallus

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2003
It could possibly have something to do with the specific projector that your friend had. You dont happen to remember the brand and/or model number do you? Most of my experience with DLP comes from the Samsung HLM507, a 50 inch rear projection tv. Maybe check out some other DLP sets/projectors and see if you still notice it as much? I *really* have to put effort into seeing the color separation in order to see it. Though it's quite possible that it's more pronounced on a larger picture.

Unfortunately there's no way to get away from the color wheel with a DLP set. May be just as well to hedge your bets and check out some other technologies if DLP isnt appealing to you. I think the benefits of it far outweigh the drawbacks though (assuming you can *not* notice the color separation).

PS. You can notice refresh rates of 100hz?! I'm no optomitrist but I'd wager they could be related.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Mortallus on 04/26/03 02:11 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Mortallus

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2003
This may or may not be informative, but I'll post it anyways if folks are interested. It's a pretty simple breakdown of DMD's and the DLP technology. Texas Instruments also has some pretty good info on their website.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/projection-tv5.htm

Might have to scroll down a bit.

I wish I had better info to give you. My knowledge of current model front projectors is lacking unfortunately.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
The thing about the color wheel is on that site they had mentioned for larger projectors like the ones seen in movie theaters, 3 DMD chips are used, each one for either red green or blue, and thus there was no need for a color wheel.