Picked up MVP and MLB2K5

MVP kicks absolute ass. I've played 10+ games on All Star mode and
Mattinglyfan's team of choice wiped the floor with my team of choice. I
skipped last year's game so I was amazed at all the animations. I was also
shocked at how hard they made it to make perfect pitches.

Only played 2 games of MLB, but it was enough to know I hate their
animations and the fielding view. I couldn't find a way to change the
fielding camera, so I turned it off. When I get time I'll run through the
manual to see if I missed an option. I also couldn't find a pitching method
(there were 3) that I enjoyed. The default one just takes too damn long to
throw the ball. Seems like it would take hours just to get through one game.
MLB easily has the best commentary in any baseball game I've ever played,
but they also appear to have the stupidest bat-on-ball sound ever too. Every
hit appears to crack the bat.

Both are online. MVP is lag-free, which is odd for the first month of an EA
sports release. I heard MLB was as well.

Skye
29 answers Last reply
More about picked mlb2k5

    just picked up MVP 2005 tonight. i've never played a baseball game on
    the xbox, and the last one i played on a console was back with my old
    sega genesis.

    i assumed i'd have to take some 40 minute tutorial to become familiar
    with all the intricacies, but no... it was ready to go and extremely
    intuitive.

    one thing i hadn't read about in online product descriptions was the
    mini game modes and the homerun challenge. new to this genre, i didn't
    assume they were standard fare. however, these "extras" are copy points
    for the product description for MLB2k5... so for me, it was a bonus.

    the game itself is pretty basic, but i really enjoy the customizable
    nature. and the depth of how you can play the game is astounding. i do
    assume both MVP and MLB offer such depth.

    my only gripes so far are 1. the players look danged ugly! the inset
    photos are very cool, but the animated players are... well,
    neanderthal... 2. why no custom soundtrack? did i miss something? is
    this not a simple thing to put in? i don't get it. and if i did miss
    something, then i truly didn't get it.

    overall, the game looks and plays better than i had ever hoped from a
    baseball game. being a die-hard boston fan, i couldn't resist picking
    this one up... and like Skye said, for $30 bucks, it feels like i stole
    it.

    (ironically, i went by a compusa to see if they had it... no, but they
    had MVP 2004 for $19.99... is it me, or is that just too close to the
    $29.99 price point of MVP 2005? i dunno)

    "Skye" <carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > MVP kicks absolute ass. I've played 10+ games on All Star mode and
    > Mattinglyfan's team of choice wiped the floor with my team of choice. I
    > skipped last year's game so I was amazed at all the animations. I was also
    > shocked at how hard they made it to make perfect pitches.
    >
    > Only played 2 games of MLB, but it was enough to know I hate their
    > animations and the fielding view. I couldn't find a way to change the
    > fielding camera, so I turned it off. When I get time I'll run through the
    > manual to see if I missed an option. I also couldn't find a pitching
    method
    > (there were 3) that I enjoyed. The default one just takes too damn long to
    > throw the ball. Seems like it would take hours just to get through one
    game.
    > MLB easily has the best commentary in any baseball game I've ever played,
    > but they also appear to have the stupidest bat-on-ball sound ever too.
    Every
    > hit appears to crack the bat.
    >
    > Both are online. MVP is lag-free, which is odd for the first month of an
    EA
    > sports release. I heard MLB was as well.
    >
    > Skye

    The total for both games combined was the price of what is normally one
    game. Can't really beat that.

    And they both support 720p this year. I think I am going with MLB 2k5
    though.

    HDTV games lists and discussions
    http://www.hdtvarcade.com

    "Skye" <carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > MVP kicks absolute ass. I've played 10+ games on All Star mode and
    > Mattinglyfan's team of choice wiped the floor with my team of choice. I
    > skipped last year's game so I was amazed at all the animations. I was also
    > shocked at how hard they made it to make perfect pitches.
    >
    > Only played 2 games of MLB, but it was enough to know I hate their
    > animations and the fielding view. I couldn't find a way to change the
    > fielding camera, so I turned it off. When I get time I'll run through the
    > manual to see if I missed an option. I also couldn't find a pitching
    > method
    > (there were 3) that I enjoyed. The default one just takes too damn long to
    > throw the ball. Seems like it would take hours just to get through one
    > game.
    > MLB easily has the best commentary in any baseball game I've ever played,
    > but they also appear to have the stupidest bat-on-ball sound ever too.
    > Every
    > hit appears to crack the bat.
    >
    > Both are online. MVP is lag-free, which is odd for the first month of an
    > EA
    > sports release. I heard MLB was as well.
    >
    > Skye

    ESPN doesn't support 720p this year. MVP does.

    > ESPN doesn't support 720p this year. MVP does.

    According to hdtvarcade they both support 720p

    "Skye" <carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > MVP kicks absolute ass. I've played 10+ games on All Star mode and
    > Mattinglyfan's team of choice wiped the floor with my team of choice. I
    > skipped last year's game so I was amazed at all the animations. I was also
    > shocked at how hard they made it to make perfect pitches.

    I picked it up as well when I was reserving my 3rd PSP and in the 3 games I
    played, I got smoked by the chowds. The CPU hitters in All-Star difficulty
    are ridiculously skilled and even my slider adjustments have not evened it
    out so far. I just don't think I am going to pick up MLB this year even at
    the discounted price. Everything I have seen on the MLB 2005 on PSP leads
    me to believe that it will be my 2nd baseball game. On top of that, after
    March 24th, my console gaming will probably be cut down significantly as
    well.

    Can you guys imagine being dragged somewhere stupid by the wife and still
    being able to game with non-gameboy graphics? "Sure honey, I'll go to the
    mall with you.", "Of course dear, I'd love to go to Bed Bath and Beyond",
    "I'm getting ready for Church right now sweetheart".

    "lighten up francis" <tellmeyou@loveme.please> wrote in message

    > "Skye" <carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> ESPN doesn't support 720p this year. MVP does.
    >

    > According to hdtvarcade they both support 720p

    Appears that many more reports are coming in that MLB 2k5 is only 480p and
    16:9. Seems the 720p support was pulled at the last moment. It had been
    stated in many early reviews that the game supported 720p. Don't know what
    happened. http://www.hdtvarcade.com also now reflects this change.

    "lighten up francis" <tellmeyou@loveme.please> wrote in message

    > "Skye" <carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > ESPN doesn't support 720p this year. MVP does.
    >

    > According to hdtvarcade they both support 720p

    Just MVP.

    "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message

    > "Skye" <carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > MVP kicks absolute ass. I've played 10+ games on All Star mode and
    > > Mattinglyfan's team of choice wiped the floor with my team of choice. I
    > > skipped last year's game so I was amazed at all the animations. I was
    also
    > > shocked at how hard they made it to make perfect pitches.
    >
    > I picked it up as well when I was reserving my 3rd PSP and in the 3 games
    > played, I got smoked by the chowds. The CPU hitters in All-Star
    difficulty
    > are ridiculously skilled and even my slider adjustments have not evened it
    > out so far. I just don't think I am going to pick up MLB this year even
    at
    > the discounted price. Everything I have seen on the MLB 2005 on PSP leads
    > me to believe that it will be my 2nd baseball game. On top of that, after
    > March 24th, my console gaming will probably be cut down significantly as
    > well.
    >
    > Can you guys imagine being dragged somewhere stupid by the wife and still
    > being able to game with non-gameboy graphics? "Sure honey, I'll go to the
    > mall with you.", "Of course dear, I'd love to go to Bed Bath and Beyond",
    > "I'm getting ready for Church right now sweetheart".

    I bumped down to Pro. I'll stay there until I start hitting better. I lose
    so much on All Star because I can't hit on that setting yet. The only
    sliders I've moved were for CPU and User baserunning speed. Bumped all of
    them up to 5. There were just too many fast runners getting tossed out at
    first on plays I think they'd be safe on in real life. That slight bump
    fixed that problem.

    The hitting mini-game is lots of fun and a great way to work on your
    hitting.

    As for the PSP, yeah, it's going to be great. I'm trading in MLB2K5 for
    either MLB2006 PS2 or PSP. I'm leaning more towards PSP now since I've
    already got the one baseball game I think I'll ever need on a console. If
    MVP is this good on the PSP, then I'm going to start hemmorhaging money.

    Skye

    I only picked up MLB 2K5, and here are a few comments. I was not at all
    bothered by the pitching interface - in fact I liked it quite a bit, and a
    game didn't seem to take me any longer than any other video baseball game
    I've played. I also like that I can customize the soundtrack and have
    various songs play when players come up to bat, when a home team HR is hit,
    and for other game events. I also like that I can select a clip of the song
    so I get whatever part of the song I want (or all of it if I want that). I
    played it on Rookie mode, and I think I will either adjust a few sliders or
    move up to the next level as I am 3-0 after 3 games although my team is
    considered one of the better teams in the game.

    I haven't played online yet, so I can't offer much there.

    Overall, I really like 2K5 - but I do wonder what MVP is like as well. Since
    2K5 costs 30% less than MVP, I would need fairly substantial reasons to want
    to switch. The 720 vs. 480 isn't a current factor as I don't yet have HDTV
    capability. I did like MVP last year on my GameCube, but I thoughts I'd give
    2K5 a shot this year and have been pleasantly pleased. Plus there is the
    reward factor I feel toward a company that puts out a great game for under
    $20. I know that trend only continue if they sell a bunch of games, so I
    feel like I've done my part to support a trend I like.

    MLB 2k5 has great hitting and pitching options. Plus, with the "speed up"
    game setting, you can cut all the cinemas and speed through 9 innings really
    quick.

    MVP only offers 5 innings online in ranked games.

    MLB 2k5 is the better game.

    "Classic Collector" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > MLB 2k5 has great hitting and pitching options. Plus, with the "speed up"
    > game setting, you can cut all the cinemas and speed through 9 innings
    > really
    > quick.
    >
    > MVP only offers 5 innings online in ranked games.
    >
    > MLB 2k5 is the better game.

    I had no idea MVP was limited in that way.

    I was very happy with MLB 2K5, but I was curious about MVP...now I won't
    even bother to check it out.

    "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message

    > I picked it up as well when I was reserving my 3rd PSP and in the 3 games
    > I played, I got smoked by the chowds.

    Okay, if no one else is going to ask - I have to...

    Your 3rd PSP? Are you buying gifts or are all these for you?

    > "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
    >>

    >> I picked it up as well when I was reserving my 3rd PSP and in the 3 games
    >> I played, I got smoked by the chowds.
    >
    > Okay, if no one else is going to ask - I have to...
    >
    > Your 3rd PSP? Are you buying gifts or are all these for you?

    Myself, my wife and a going away present for a teacher that is leaving to be
    a diplomat. I also may dip into my equity and grab a couple for investment
    purposes on EBay.

    Hi Skye,

    After loving MLB 2k5 for a few days I picked up MVP 2005. I'm underwhelmed
    so far. The commentary is the worst I've ever heard, is boring, and the
    atmosphere is way too quiet and doesn't feel like an MLB game. The graphics
    aren't as good as MLB either, the players seem a bit pudgy. The animations
    are slightly better than ESPN, but players often freeze in mid air for a
    second before an animation starts, such as when getting close to first base
    on a close play. The pitching meter is cool, and batting is easy enough. The
    meter when throwing a ball after fielding it is ridiculous though. The
    soundtrack is absolutely horrid, and the online component only allows 5
    innings for a ranked game. The game is also not "live aware", which makes
    this feel more like a first generation Xbox game.

    > Hi Skye,
    >
    > After loving MLB 2k5 for a few days I picked up MVP 2005. I'm underwhelmed
    > so far. The commentary is the worst I've ever heard, is boring, and the
    > atmosphere is way too quiet and doesn't feel like an MLB game. The
    > graphics
    > aren't as good as MLB either, the players seem a bit pudgy. The animations
    > are slightly better than ESPN, but players often freeze in mid air for a
    > second before an animation starts, such as when getting close to first
    > base
    > on a close play. The pitching meter is cool, and batting is easy enough.
    > The
    > meter when throwing a ball after fielding it is ridiculous though. The
    > soundtrack is absolutely horrid, and the online component only allows 5
    > innings for a ranked game. The game is also not "live aware", which makes
    > this feel more like a first generation Xbox game.

    Wow, all those faults and MVP somehow managed to outrank MLB on EVERY major
    gaming site. I guess you can't account for reviewers' tastes. Amateurs.

    > "Classic Collector" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi Skye,
    >>
    >> After loving MLB 2k5 for a few days I picked up MVP 2005. I'm
    >> underwhelmed
    >> so far. The commentary is the worst I've ever heard, is boring, and the
    >> atmosphere is way too quiet and doesn't feel like an MLB game. The
    >> graphics
    >> aren't as good as MLB either, the players seem a bit pudgy. The
    >> animations
    >> are slightly better than ESPN, but players often freeze in mid air for a
    >> second before an animation starts, such as when getting close to first
    >> base
    >> on a close play. The pitching meter is cool, and batting is easy enough.
    >> The
    >> meter when throwing a ball after fielding it is ridiculous though. The
    >> soundtrack is absolutely horrid, and the online component only allows 5
    >> innings for a ranked game. The game is also not "live aware", which makes
    >> this feel more like a first generation Xbox game.
    >>

    > Wow, all those faults and MVP somehow managed to outrank MLB on EVERY
    > major gaming site. I guess you can't account for reviewers' tastes.
    > Amateurs.

    so you're required to like a certain game more than another because "major
    gaming site reviewers" gave it a higher score

    got it

    I have to agree with you 100%, last year MVP was my choice for baseball and
    the sound, presentation, graphics and animations blew away ESPN baseball.
    This year with the overhaul of MLB 2K5 baseball, it seems that MVP is the
    rather dull game. MVP plays a very good game of baseball as so does MLB 2K5,
    but MVP loses in graphics, presentation and even online play. MVP has a
    slight delay in control online, offline it's much more responsive. Also MVP
    has no online leagues and ranked games are 5 innings. Player models look
    like children with adult heads and fan faces are way off on most players
    that are not stars. Both games are really good and picking both up for $50
    is a steal. It's just that MLB 2K5 has most of my attention for now because
    it's new and gorgeous, let's see how long this relationship lasts...

    Classic Collector <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > Hi Skye,
    >
    > After loving MLB 2k5 for a few days I picked up MVP 2005. I'm underwhelmed
    > so far. The commentary is the worst I've ever heard, is boring, and the
    > atmosphere is way too quiet and doesn't feel like an MLB game. The
    graphics
    > aren't as good as MLB either, the players seem a bit pudgy. The animations
    > are slightly better than ESPN, but players often freeze in mid air for a
    > second before an animation starts, such as when getting close to first
    base
    > on a close play. The pitching meter is cool, and batting is easy enough.
    The
    > meter when throwing a ball after fielding it is ridiculous though. The
    > soundtrack is absolutely horrid, and the online component only allows 5
    > innings for a ranked game. The game is also not "live aware", which makes
    > this feel more like a first generation Xbox game.

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:25:14 -0700, "Mattinglyfan"
    <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote:
    >Wow, all those faults and MVP somehow managed to outrank MLB on EVERY major
    >gaming site. I guess you can't account for reviewers' tastes. Amateurs.

    Why so defensive? It sounded like a balanced opinion to me... he
    bought both games, so he shouldn't be biased. Do you care to address
    his issues point by point? They sounded valid. *shrug*

    Anyway, I stood for about 10 minutes in Best Buy yesterday with MLB in
    one hand and MVP in the other... none of the reviews I've read were a
    slam dunk either way, so I went for MLB (even though there's a Yankee
    on the cover) because it's cheaper. What little I've played so far
    seems good, the real test will come online. The last baseball game I
    played was Hardball 5, so I'm sure either one would blow me away :)

    The best part so far was when the announcer said, at the beginning of
    the obligatory Red Sox/Yankees game, "The Yankees are still reeling
    after blowing a 3-0 lead in last year's ALCS." Music to my ears.

    I predict the exclusive rights that have been bought up (NFL by EA and
    MLB by 2K) will cause a downward spiral in the each game not to be
    fixed until the contracts expire.

    "The Other John" <spamblock@blockit.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:25:14 -0700, "Mattinglyfan"
    > <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote:
    >>Wow, all those faults and MVP somehow managed to outrank MLB on EVERY
    >>major
    >>gaming site. I guess you can't account for reviewers' tastes. Amateurs.
    >>

    > Why so defensive? It sounded like a balanced opinion to me... he
    > bought both games, so he shouldn't be biased. Do you care to address
    > his issues point by point? They sounded valid. *shrug*

    Well his first point was that MLB's graphics look better. There is no way
    for me to address that other than to point a 3rd party to a site like IGN or
    Gamespot where they rank the graphics as part of their ranking and both of
    those give the edge to MVP. He said the sound is horrible and once again,
    all I can do is refer him to other gaming sites because that is a matter of
    opinion. I have played 30+ games of MVP and have never seen the players
    freeze in mid air the way he described. Finally, saying that a game not
    being Live aware makes it like a 1st generation Xbox game seemed fairly
    ridiculous to me but that is once again his opinion. My comment was more
    along the lines of sarcasm of the fact that he didn't really say anything
    tremendously wrong with MVP and not MLB was superior. The fact of the
    matter is that MVP is a higher ranked game this year. What he said was his
    opinion about the game and I stated mine in terms of the reviewers not
    agreeing with him.
    .

    "juwanna" <yippy@ymail.com> wrote in message
    > "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Classic Collector" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Skye,
    >>>
    >>> After loving MLB 2k5 for a few days I picked up MVP 2005. I'm
    >>> underwhelmed
    >>> so far. The commentary is the worst I've ever heard, is boring, and the
    >>> atmosphere is way too quiet and doesn't feel like an MLB game. The
    >>> graphics
    >>> aren't as good as MLB either, the players seem a bit pudgy. The
    >>> animations
    >>> are slightly better than ESPN, but players often freeze in mid air for a
    >>> second before an animation starts, such as when getting close to first
    >>> base
    >>> on a close play. The pitching meter is cool, and batting is easy enough.
    >>> The
    >>> meter when throwing a ball after fielding it is ridiculous though. The
    >>> soundtrack is absolutely horrid, and the online component only allows 5
    >>> innings for a ranked game. The game is also not "live aware", which
    >>> makes
    >>> this feel more like a first generation Xbox game.
    >>>

    >> Wow, all those faults and MVP somehow managed to outrank MLB on EVERY
    >> major gaming site. I guess you can't account for reviewers' tastes.
    >> Amateurs.
    >>

    > so you're required to like a certain game more than another because "major
    > gaming site reviewers" gave it a higher score
    >
    > got it

    Uhhh, what was your last comprehension grade level on a standardized test?
    I don't know where you got that someone is REQUIRED to like something from
    the fact that I pointed out that the reviewers don't agree with his
    assessment of MLB's graphical and gameplay superiority. Plain and simple.

    Got it?

    "juwanna" <yippy@ymail.com> wrote in message
    > "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Classic Collector" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > >> Hi Skye,
    > >>
    > >> After loving MLB 2k5 for a few days I picked up MVP 2005. I'm
    > >> underwhelmed
    > >> so far. The commentary is the worst I've ever heard, is boring, and the
    > >> atmosphere is way too quiet and doesn't feel like an MLB game. The
    > >> graphics
    > >> aren't as good as MLB either, the players seem a bit pudgy. The
    > >> animations
    > >> are slightly better than ESPN, but players often freeze in mid air for
    > >> second before an animation starts, such as when getting close to first
    > >> base
    > >> on a close play. The pitching meter is cool, and batting is easy
    enough.
    > >> The
    > >> meter when throwing a ball after fielding it is ridiculous though. The
    > >> soundtrack is absolutely horrid, and the online component only allows 5
    > >> innings for a ranked game. The game is also not "live aware", which
    makes
    > >> this feel more like a first generation Xbox game.
    > >>

    > > Wow, all those faults and MVP somehow managed to outrank MLB on EVERY
    > > major gaming site. I guess you can't account for reviewers' tastes.
    > > Amateurs.
    > >

    > so you're required to like a certain game more than another because "major
    > gaming site reviewers" gave it a higher score
    >
    > got it

    Played both a ton, and will be dumping MLB2K5 as soon as MLB 2006 from 989
    comes out. It's a lousy first effort by Kush.

    Skye

    In article <vuadneCzPccST77fRVn-gQ@comcast.com>,
    Estoscacahuates@comcast.netdeeznuts says...

    >"Classic Collector" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi Skye,
    >>
    >> After loving MLB 2k5 for a few days I picked up MVP 2005. I'm underwhelmed
    >> so far. The commentary is the worst I've ever heard, is boring, and the
    >> atmosphere is way too quiet and doesn't feel like an MLB game. The
    >> graphics
    >> aren't as good as MLB either, the players seem a bit pudgy. The animations
    >> are slightly better than ESPN, but players often freeze in mid air for a
    >> second before an animation starts, such as when getting close to first
    >> base
    >> on a close play. The pitching meter is cool, and batting is easy enough.
    >> The
    >> meter when throwing a ball after fielding it is ridiculous though. The
    >> soundtrack is absolutely horrid, and the online component only allows 5
    >> innings for a ranked game. The game is also not "live aware", which makes
    >> this feel more like a first generation Xbox game.
    >>

    >Wow, all those faults and MVP somehow managed to outrank MLB on EVERY major
    >gaming site. I guess you can't account for reviewers' tastes. Amateurs.

    Settle down guys. All the baseball games got good reviews this year.

    "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
    > In article <vuadneCzPccST77fRVn-gQ@comcast.com>,
    > Estoscacahuates@comcast.netdeeznuts says...
    >>

    >>"Classic Collector" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Skye,
    >>>
    >>> After loving MLB 2k5 for a few days I picked up MVP 2005. I'm
    >>> underwhelmed
    >>> so far. The commentary is the worst I've ever heard, is boring, and the
    >>> atmosphere is way too quiet and doesn't feel like an MLB game. The
    >>> graphics
    >>> aren't as good as MLB either, the players seem a bit pudgy. The
    >>> animations
    >>> are slightly better than ESPN, but players often freeze in mid air for a
    >>> second before an animation starts, such as when getting close to first
    >>> base
    >>> on a close play. The pitching meter is cool, and batting is easy enough.
    >>> The
    >>> meter when throwing a ball after fielding it is ridiculous though. The
    >>> soundtrack is absolutely horrid, and the online component only allows 5
    >>> innings for a ranked game. The game is also not "live aware", which
    >>> makes
    >>> this feel more like a first generation Xbox game.
    >>>

    >>Wow, all those faults and MVP somehow managed to outrank MLB on EVERY
    >>major
    >>gaming site. I guess you can't account for reviewers' tastes. Amateurs.
    >>

    > Settle down guys. All the baseball games got good reviews this year.

    I am not bashing any game. I just hate when people feel the need to trash a
    game because they like another.

    In article <kIydnW8xmuyD47vfRVn-tw@comcast.com>,
    Estoscacahuates@comcast.netdeeznuts says...

    >"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> In article <vuadneCzPccST77fRVn-gQ@comcast.com>,
    >> Estoscacahuates@comcast.netdeeznuts says...
    >>>

    >>>"Classic Collector" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message

    >>>Wow, all those faults and MVP somehow managed to outrank MLB on EVERY
    >>>major
    >>>gaming site. I guess you can't account for reviewers' tastes. Amateurs.
    >>>

    >> Settle down guys. All the baseball games got good reviews this year.
    >>

    >I am not bashing any game. I just hate when people feel the need to trash a
    >game because they like another.

    I wasn't jumping you. Just pointing out that you can't really go wrong this
    year with any of the games.

    "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message

    > "Classic Collector" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi Skye,
    >>
    >> After loving MLB 2k5 for a few days I picked up MVP 2005. I'm
    >> underwhelmed
    >> so far. The commentary is the worst I've ever heard, is boring, and the
    >> atmosphere is way too quiet and doesn't feel like an MLB game. The
    >> graphics
    >> aren't as good as MLB either, the players seem a bit pudgy. The
    >> animations
    >> are slightly better than ESPN, but players often freeze in mid air for a
    >> second before an animation starts, such as when getting close to first
    >> base
    >> on a close play. The pitching meter is cool, and batting is easy enough.
    >> The
    >> meter when throwing a ball after fielding it is ridiculous though. The
    >> soundtrack is absolutely horrid, and the online component only allows 5
    >> innings for a ranked game. The game is also not "live aware", which makes
    >> this feel more like a first generation Xbox game.
    >>

    > Wow, all those faults and MVP somehow managed to outrank MLB on EVERY
    > major gaming site. I guess you can't account for reviewers' tastes.
    > Amateurs.

    Reviewers are just people with opinions. I've reviewed quite a few books and
    CDs for local magazines, and that doesn't make my opinion on books or CDs
    any more valid or correct than yours (assuming you read and listen to
    music). It MAY mean I can put my thoughts together well and explain my
    opinion in an entertaining way (Those who have read my reviews might argue
    that poiunt vehemently.) In the end, an opinion is an opinion.

    And...a few major sights have ranked ESPN higher.

    And...even those who ranked MVP higher had it only slightly higher than ESPN
    (and vice versa).

    So this is my first post here, anyway... I had MVP 2004 last year and
    thought it was great, except for the annoying repeated lines of the
    announce team, except for the annoying repeated lines of the announce
    team except for... heh heh , anyway, so this year I decided what the
    hell Ill buy both they are both cheap and both add up to 1 at last
    years price.

    Basically heres my OPINION. And I hate when people argue or get
    defensive about games they think is or is not better, its just a ****
    game...

    Basically I like Mlb2k5 better this year due to the entire feeling, or
    experience of the game, yeah maybe the graphics are a tiny bit less
    stunning than MVP, but the atmosphere, the announce team, what it comes
    down to for me is this... Mlb2k5 is like when you are at home watching a
    baseball game on ESPN and are really into the game and wish you were the
    manager, a player, a fan at the game, you really get into it, and with
    MLB2k5 you have the closest way to achieve that I guess "Fantasy".

    MVP is great graphically, maybe has a few less bugs, hell I even think
    their representation of Angels Stadiums Waterfalls are better than
    MLB2k5, but I dont get that same feeling of being part of a real
    baseball experience as I do with MLB2k5. It seems boring to me, and the
    constant way EA gets paid to promote the music they place on the games
    when the music is way off, its just as bad with Fight Night Round 2,
    the music plugging makes me sick, and does not go well with the game.

    Saying That... Go Angels..... Even though calling themselves "THE LOS
    ANGELES ANGELS OF ANAHEIM" make me sick to my stomach.

    --
    galaxian
    galaxian's Profile: http://www.genxbox.com/vb/member.php?userid=330

    > "juwanna" <yippy@ymail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Wow, all those faults and MVP somehow managed to outrank MLB on EVERY
    >>> major gaming site. I guess you can't account for reviewers' tastes.
    >>> Amateurs.
    >>>

    >> so you're required to like a certain game more than another because
    >> "major gaming site reviewers" gave it a higher score
    >>
    >> got it
    >>

    > Uhhh, what was your last comprehension grade level on a standardized test?
    > I don't know where you got that someone is REQUIRED to like something from
    > the fact that I pointed out that the reviewers don't agree with his
    > assessment of MLB's graphical and gameplay superiority. Plain and simple.
    >

    > Got it?

    "pointed out" lol

    you basically chastised the guy for not agreeing with "professional
    reviewers"

    so yes, apparently we are required to like "higher-rated" games lest we be
    subjected to needlessly sarcastic, inexplicably defensive replies from
    someone like you

    MLB 2K5 is a borderline joke. Attempting to hit the ball with 'true
    aim', on All-Star difficulty, is almost impossible. You're lucky to
    score four runs. The arcade mode, where it goes in slow motion and you
    have to bash your controller as fast you can, is even more ridiculous.

    Baseball is still the one sport game developers haven't figured out.
    They're almost all incredibly inaccurate.

    I haven't played MVP so I won't comment on it.

Console Gaming Games Video Games