Sim Card answering phone too quickly?

Last response: in Technologies
Share
June 20, 2005 6:44:13 PM

Apologies if I have not posted this correctly, but am new to these
groups. I have a problem which is driving me mad, and need some advice
please.

When my mobile nokia (pay as you go 6230)rings, if I do not get to it,
or answer it quickly, the answering service cuts in after about 4 to 8
seconds. I am assured by Nokia engineers that it should ring for at
least 15 seconds before I need to answer it, so it would seem that the
SIM card may be at fault? I have actually tried the sim card in another
phone and it behaves the same way.

The card is a 200 number capacity sim card, that I bought from vodafone
about a 2 years ago, as the 100 number one, that came with the phone,
soon got full up. I mentioned this problem to vodafone a while ago, and
they says its down to nokia, and must be their problem.

So I am stuck in the middle and do not know who is at fault.Its driving
me mad,as I sometimes hardly have time to get to the phone before it
diverts to the answering service.
Regards
Eddie
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 12:17:24 PM

Eddie wrote:

> Apologies if I have not posted this correctly, but am new to
> these groups. I have a problem which is driving me mad, and
> need some advice please.
>
> When my mobile nokia (pay as you go 6230)rings, if I do not
> get to it, or answer it quickly, the answering service cuts in
> after about 4 to 8 seconds. I am assured by Nokia engineers
> that it should ring for at least 15 seconds before I need to
> answer it, so it would seem that the SIM card may be at fault?
> I have actually tried the sim card in another phone and it
> behaves the same way.

While 15 seconds is the usual default, 5 seconds is the correct
figure for the minimum. The good news is that it's
user-configurable to 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 or 30 seconds. See

http://www.mobileshop.org/usertech/gsmcodes.htm

for how to do it (divert, no answer). The number for
"destination" is the code for your mailbox. It looks like
you're UK-based (I'm not), so please post back if you need
further advice on this.

John

> The card is a 200 number capacity sim card, that I bought from
> vodafone about a 2 years ago, as the 100 number one, that came
> with the phone, soon got full up. I mentioned this problem to
> vodafone a while ago, and they says its down to nokia, and
> must be their problem.
>
> So I am stuck in the middle and do not know who is at
> fault.Its driving me mad,as I sometimes hardly have time to
> get to the phone before it diverts to the answering service.
> Regards
> Eddie
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 12:42:59 PM

Earlier, I wrote:

> While 15 seconds is the usual default, 5 seconds is the
> correct figure for the minimum. The good news is that it's
> user-configurable to 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 or 30 seconds. See
>
> http://www.mobileshop.org/usertech/gsmcodes.htm
>
> for how to do it (divert, no answer). The number for
> "destination" is the code for your mailbox. It looks like
> you're UK-based (I'm not), so please post back if you need
> further advice on this.

If you're with Vodafone UK, please have a look at

http://tinyurl.com/7pkn9

John
Related resources
June 21, 2005 5:03:24 PM

John,
That great, many thanks, but what does the nn (just before the hash)
stand for. Am in Uk.
Regards,
Eddie
June 21, 2005 5:06:56 PM

John,
Also meant to say (where it says if your with vodafone Uk, have a look
at http://tinyurl.com/7pkn9) but when I do this, I get a new page up
saying my session has expired and I am directed to the vodafone home
page?
Regards,
Eddie
June 21, 2005 5:12:31 PM

John,
So sorry (what a wally) I realise the nn means number of seconds.
Regards,
Eddie
June 21, 2005 5:16:45 PM

John,
This is the message I get when I click on the tinyurl site.
Regards,
Eddie

'Sorry, your internet browsing session has expired'

This is because you have not been active within this site for some
time. This is a security feature to protect your information and to
also maintain efficiency. We apologise for any inconvenience this may
have caused.
June 21, 2005 5:30:13 PM

Many thanks for all of that John, its much appreciated. I will
persevere.
Best Regards,
Eddie
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 10:13:40 AM

Eddie wrote:

> John,
> That great, many thanks, but what does the nn (just before the
> hash) stand for. Am in Uk.

That's the seconds of delay before diversion, a multiple of 5,
in the range 5 to 30.

John
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 10:25:38 AM

Eddie wrote:

> John,
> Also meant to say (where it says if your with vodafone Uk,
> have a look at http://tinyurl.com/7pkn9) but when I do this, I
> get a new page up saying my session has expired and I am
> directed to the vodafone home page?

Doesn't work for me any more either - they've done something
clever.

It said:

"Can I change the time before my calls are diverted to
Voicemail? Yes, Contract customers can select between 5 - 30
seconds before their calls are diverted to Voicemail. To change
the settings please dial 191"

Only after posting the link did I notice that it says "contract
customers", whereas you said "pay as you go". So good luck!

By the way, these diversion settings aren't stored on the SIM.
They're stored somewhere in the Vodafone network, but
associated with your SIM, of course.

John
!