IMac and MacBooks are not really worth it for the money

This is my topic for my persuasive essay and I need some ideas from you guys. I already have technical aspects, but I would like some more ideas. Please no trolling.
9 answers Last reply
More about imac macbooks worth money
  1. Hate to say it, but your premise isn't exactly correct. It's all about your personal needs and desires. Depending on what you plan to do with it, a Mac may well be your best option.

Examples would include things like professional video editing (Final Cut Pro, prior to the FCPX fiasco), rendering (you can get a Mac Pro with dual sockets for extra processing muscle, plus there is high quality software), iOS development (the official tools are ONLY available on a Mac) and some other stuff.

If your premise were "For gaming, there is no reason to get a Mac" then I'd agree. But the world is bigger than that, and a Mac isn't always a bad choice.
  2. willard said:
    Hate to say it, but your premise isn't exactly correct. It's all about your personal needs and desires. Depending on what you plan to do with it, a Mac may well be your best option.

Examples would include things like professional video editing (Final Cut Pro, prior to the FCPX fiasco), rendering (you can get a Mac Pro with dual sockets for extra processing muscle, plus there is high quality software), iOS development (the official tools are ONLY available on a Mac) and some other stuff.

If your premise were "For gaming, there is no reason to get a Mac" then I'd agree. But the world is bigger than that, and a Mac isn't always a bad choice.

Leave it to an itard to find every exception to the rules.
  3. ram1009 said:
    Leave it to an itard to find every exception to the rules.

Really? I'm a fanboy because I understand that there are cases in which there are benefits to a Mac?

How about this? I own three computers. All of them run Windows and were built by me. My phone is an HTC Thunderbolt running CM7, which is also running on the Nook Color I have. I've never once considered buying a MacBook, iMac or Power Mac in my life. I dual boot Ubuntu 11.10 and Windows 8 Dev Preview on my main machine.

So yeah, you're an idiot. I own literally zero Apple products, but I'm a fanboy because I see both sides of the argument. Something tells me you are the fanboy here.
  4. willard said:
    Hate to say it, but your premise isn't exactly correct. It's all about your personal needs and desires. Depending on what you plan to do with it, a Mac may well be your best option.

You can get a i7 quad core compared to the macbook for $200 cheaper. More productivity power.
  5. samuelspark said:
    You can get a i7 quad core compared to the macbook for $200 cheaper. More productivity power.

I'm not disputing that. I'm talking about things that require SERIOUS processing power (and I'd never recommend a MacBook for that kind of task anyway).

To reiterate my point, I'm not talking about gaming. I'm not talking about web browsing. I'm not talking about anything a high school kid is ever going to do with a computer. I'm talking about very, very specific applications in which a Mac is a good choice.

You just can't make generalizations like "Macs are a waste of money." They have their uses.
  6. willard said:
    Really? I'm a fanboy because I understand that there are cases in which there are benefits to a Mac?

How about this? I own three computers. All of them run Windows and were built by me. My phone is an HTC Thunderbolt running CM7, which is also running on the Nook Color I have. I've never once considered buying a MacBook, iMac or Power Mac in my life. I dual boot Ubuntu 11.10 and Windows 8 Dev Preview on my main machine.

So yeah, you're an idiot. I own literally zero Apple products, but I'm a fanboy because I see both sides of the argument. Something tells me you are the fanboy here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh darn, you caught me. I confess. I'm a PC fanboy. I'll agree there is at least one use for any Apple product. If you have a boat you can use it for an anchor.
  7. willard said:
    I'm not disputing that. I'm talking about things that require SERIOUS processing power (and I'd never recommend a MacBook for that kind of task anyway).

To reiterate my point, I'm not talking about gaming. I'm not talking about web browsing. I'm not talking about anything a high school kid is ever going to do with a computer. I'm talking about very, very specific applications in which a Mac is a good choice.

You just can't make generalizations like "Macs are a waste of money." They have their uses.

Examples?
  8. Apple PCs are sexy, but they are overpriced. And now with ultra PCs they really aren't anymore sexy then a PC. And there is basically 0 differnece between a Mac and a PC these days. They are built with the exact same parts inside.

On my custom built computer that has i7 2600k @4.6 i run xp, win7. win 8 customer preview, OSX snow, OSX lion. My rig runs faster then a Mac, looks sexy and was way cheaper.
  9. daship said:
    Apple PCs are sexy, but they are overpriced. And now with ultra PCs they really aren't anymore sexy then a PC. And there is basically 0 differnece between a Mac and a PC these days. They are built with the exact same parts inside.

On my custom built computer that has i7 2600k @4.6 i run xp, win7. win 8 customer preview, OSX snow, OSX lion. My rig runs faster then a Mac, looks sexy and was way cheaper.

Exactly what I'm talking about.
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt iMac Systems