Sign in with
Your question

IMac and MacBooks are not really worth it for the money

Last response: in Systems
February 29, 2012 6:33:38 PM

This is my topic for my persuasive essay and I need some ideas from you guys. I already have technical aspects, but I would like some more ideas. Please no trolling.
February 29, 2012 7:21:59 PM

Hate to say it, but your premise isn't exactly correct. It's all about your personal needs and desires. Depending on what you plan to do with it, a Mac may well be your best option.

Examples would include things like professional video editing (Final Cut Pro, prior to the FCPX fiasco), rendering (you can get a Mac Pro with dual sockets for extra processing muscle, plus there is high quality software), iOS development (the official tools are ONLY available on a Mac) and some other stuff.

If your premise were "For gaming, there is no reason to get a Mac" then I'd agree. But the world is bigger than that, and a Mac isn't always a bad choice.
m
l
February 29, 2012 7:35:03 PM

willard said:
Hate to say it, but your premise isn't exactly correct. It's all about your personal needs and desires. Depending on what you plan to do with it, a Mac may well be your best option.

Examples would include things like professional video editing (Final Cut Pro, prior to the FCPX fiasco), rendering (you can get a Mac Pro with dual sockets for extra processing muscle, plus there is high quality software), iOS development (the official tools are ONLY available on a Mac) and some other stuff.

If your premise were "For gaming, there is no reason to get a Mac" then I'd agree. But the world is bigger than that, and a Mac isn't always a bad choice.

Leave it to an itard to find every exception to the rules.
m
l
Related resources
February 29, 2012 7:40:15 PM

ram1009 said:
Leave it to an itard to find every exception to the rules.

Really? I'm a fanboy because I understand that there are cases in which there are benefits to a Mac?

How about this? I own three computers. All of them run Windows and were built by me. My phone is an HTC Thunderbolt running CM7, which is also running on the Nook Color I have. I've never once considered buying a MacBook, iMac or Power Mac in my life. I dual boot Ubuntu 11.10 and Windows 8 Dev Preview on my main machine.

So yeah, you're an idiot. I own literally zero Apple products, but I'm a fanboy because I see both sides of the argument. Something tells me you are the fanboy here.
m
l
February 29, 2012 8:18:00 PM

willard said:

You can get a i7 quad core compared to the macbook for $200 cheaper. More productivity power.
m
l
February 29, 2012 8:26:09 PM

samuelspark said:
You can get a i7 quad core compared to the macbook for $200 cheaper. More productivity power.

I'm not disputing that. I'm talking about things that require SERIOUS processing power (and I'd never recommend a MacBook for that kind of task anyway).

To reiterate my point, I'm not talking about gaming. I'm not talking about web browsing. I'm not talking about anything a high school kid is ever going to do with a computer. I'm talking about very, very specific applications in which a Mac is a good choice.

You just can't make generalizations like "Macs are a waste of money." They have their uses.
m
l
February 29, 2012 9:01:46 PM

willard said:
Really? I'm a fanboy because I understand that there are cases in which there are benefits to a Mac?

How about this? I own three computers. All of them run Windows and were built by me. My phone is an HTC Thunderbolt running CM7, which is also running on the Nook Color I have. I've never once considered buying a MacBook, iMac or Power Mac in my life. I dual boot Ubuntu 11.10 and Windows 8 Dev Preview on my main machine.

So yeah, you're an idiot. I own literally zero Apple products, but I'm a fanboy because I see both sides of the argument. Something tells me you are the fanboy here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh darn, you caught me. I confess. I'm a PC fanboy. I'll agree there is at least one use for any Apple product. If you have a boat you can use it for an anchor.
m
l
February 29, 2012 9:16:07 PM

willard said:
I'm not disputing that. I'm talking about things that require SERIOUS processing power (and I'd never recommend a MacBook for that kind of task anyway).

To reiterate my point, I'm not talking about gaming. I'm not talking about web browsing. I'm not talking about anything a high school kid is ever going to do with a computer. I'm talking about very, very specific applications in which a Mac is a good choice.

You just can't make generalizations like "Macs are a waste of money." They have their uses.

Examples?
m
l
February 29, 2012 9:31:58 PM

Apple PCs are sexy, but they are overpriced. And now with ultra PCs they really aren't anymore sexy then a PC. And there is basically 0 differnece between a Mac and a PC these days. They are built with the exact same parts inside.

On my custom built computer that has i7 2600k @4.6 i run xp, win7. win 8 customer preview, OSX snow, OSX lion. My rig runs faster then a Mac, looks sexy and was way cheaper.
m
l
February 29, 2012 9:36:56 PM

daship said:
Apple PCs are sexy, but they are overpriced. And now with ultra PCs they really aren't anymore sexy then a PC. And there is basically 0 differnece between a Mac and a PC these days. They are built with the exact same parts inside.

On my custom built computer that has i7 2600k @4.6 i run xp, win7. win 8 customer preview, OSX snow, OSX lion. My rig runs faster then a Mac, looks sexy and was way cheaper.

Exactly what I'm talking about.
m
l
!