[Solved] Gigabyte 6950 Draws No Power, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hektorthegreat

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Recently i bought new parts to build my own computer as a first timer and everything seemed to be going smoothly until the power up.I plugged my PSU in as the last step, flipped the PSU switch and hit the power button on my motherboard and got power on all my case fans and the leds on my mobo light up. The problem that im having is that my video card seems to be receiving no power, none of the fans on the GPU spin and im receiving no signal to my monitor.

What did i do wrong? Could i have gotten a defective GPU. Currently at work but im going to try to connect other PCI power cords to the card, maybe one of the power cords is defective, and if that wont work ill try installing my old video card and see if that generates anything.

Any other recommendations would be seriously welcomed.

(as a side note, im not getting any beeping and no blinking from my LED mobo lights but my CPU LED is red, according to the instructions it needs to be blinking for something to be problematic but since its not green i assumed that may be of help for the root of my problem. My back USB slots also dont seem to function on boot.)

Comp. Parts:

GIGABYTE GV-R695OC-1GD Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Acer G235HAbd 23'' 5ms 1920x1080 WideScreen LCD monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1
Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I52500
Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

EDIT: There are 2 damn power supply connectors to the motherboard not just the 24 pin, works and everything runs perfectly. #Pluginfail

larkspur

Distinguished
Check the power cables to the video card (there are two 6-pin cables from your PSU). Make sure your video card is fully seated (it often 'clicks' into place). It's very telling that your card's fan is not spinning up at boot. Also try your 'old graphics card' as long as it fits in the slot (much older cards used a different slot called AGP).

If your old card boots and you have made sure your power cables have been connected properly, then you might have a bad 6950. Unless the motherboard is the problem, your card should spin its fans at power-on.

hektorthegreat

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011

Thank you much for this post!

I seemed to have followed this to the T, minus probably the biggest part of not putting in the mounting pins for my mobo. Hopefully i didnt cause damage to my videocard.... my motherboard and case fans all work so hopefully not.

*fingers crossed*

Status
Not open for further replies.